Hughey

Visual Learning and speaking with examples...

Hi.

This has been going on my entire life. I wont go on some huge spiel about it, but I'll just give you the most recent example:

I went to get an addition to my tree rescue course (its an arborist thing you need to get to work on site) the first day we did a written assessment and I had to do it twice because I failed the first time. When it came for the test, which was just the guy asking me questions, all I could remember was words on paper and some guy talking, it was like all the information I tried to take it was just flashing in front of me like a bad tv reception and I went home with a massive migraine because of doing all this.

The second day was the practical day. We watched what we had to do and I did it better, quicker and safer than anybody. The guy who did the verbal test thought I was an dead headed drip, but I really shocked him because of just how good I was at things I was shown how to do, rather than told.

People kept forgetting to do things that they were shown, but I remembered it all because I was shown it.

Also, as I have just demonstrated, I have a hard time taking in explanations and explaining things myself without examples. I can take in the information better if I have something to visualise.

Does anybody else relate to these kind of things?

If not, then does this make me stupid?

Does anybody else relate to these kind of things?

Yes!!! It's really annoying cuz sometimes I look like a genius and other times like a fool :rolleyes:

If not, then does this make me stupid?

I think no, cuz everyone thinks and learns in different ways

:thumbs:

I am also a visual learner, it came to a mock test- i scored the highest on the visual but the theory i scored the lowest. no it dont make u stupid, whether we have disabilities/ autism others can be visual too.

Temple Grandin suggests there are three 'types' of thinking and learning: visual, pattern and verbal-logic... She suggests these are different ways of thinking to neurotypical thinking, but IMO (and many other peoples) that's a bit of an assumption and it's more a question of degree and combination, iyswim. Nothing thick about any specific way of thinking, but each type does have its strengths and weaknesses that show up in different situations. Visual thinkers, for example are more likely to be 'artistic' or good at design and stuff, pattern thinkers are often good at maths or music while the verbal-logic can be very skilled in languages etc. Standard teaching methods tend to favour the verbal/logic learner, which applies in general terms to more girls than boys and that ties in with some theories about the way girls with ASD's 'present' differently to boys with ASD's, and the often misunderstood 'male brain theory' beloved as a kakky hitting stick by women who associate themselves with the heroines from greek mythology or otherwise like to present themselves as victims and/or martyrs... :whistle:

L&P

BD

Oh PS: I'm all for the other type of learning which avoids practical demonstration, verbal and written instruction altogether. It's called 'you do it FOR me' and mainly involves lying around on sofas and letting the rest of the world get on with it. Unfortunately, my own skills in this area pale into insignificance when compared to those of my thirteen year old son, and there is only room in our living room for one sofa. Ho Hum...

Edited by baddad

I think I read that while most people are dominantly one particular type of learner, everyone has little bits of the major types (visual, kinaesthenic, auditory).

I'm dominantly a visual learner. For example, the only way I can learn a languge is to see it written down, especially the grammar, declensions and conjugations. So despite being very good at languages (an element in my first degree), I simply cannot pick up a language aurally at all. And in my head I will see the printed word with the correct ending while I am speaking, scrolling down through the declension, etc, to find the one I need. Similarly, in exams I can see the page of revision notes in my head, with the highlighted sections, etc.

I have often found in training at work that in the move to accomodate kinaesthetic and auditory learning, the more historical visual approach is sometimes forgotten.

Just re-read the OP. My problem is that as well as being shown how to do something, I also need to have it written down too. I think what you describe is actually kinaesthetic learning, i.e. 'doing something' in order to learn it.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I can't focus for more than ten minutes unless I'm doing something. I can't help getting bored if people are just talking at me or distracted if I'm writing notes, I learn by figuring things out myself and putting them into practice. I completely fail in written tests, and speaking tests, but I can complete practical tasks without hesitation or difficulty.

Edited by Howlin Mad

I can't focus for more than ten minutes unless I'm doing something. I can't help getting bored if people are just talking at me or distracted if I'm writing notes, I learn by figuring things out myself and putting them into practice. I completely fail in written tests, and speaking tests, but I can complete practical tasks without hesitation or difficulty.

So I think that makes you a kinaesthetic learner?

I'm dominantly a visual learner. For example, the only way I can learn a languge is to see it written down, especially the grammar, declensions and conjugations. So despite being very good at languages (an element in my first degree), I simply cannot pick up a language aurally at all. And in my head I will see the printed word with the correct ending while I am speaking, scrolling down through the declension, etc, to find the one I need. Similarly, in exams I can see the page of revision notes in my head, with the highlighted sections, etc.

It works the same way for me. I think in my case it's to do with the fact that when I hear words I simultaneously seem them in writing. In the past whenever I was really nervous this would stop working and I would be unable to make sense of what was being said to me - which could make me look really stupid. For this reason I much preferred written exams to oral ones.

Similarly, in exams I can see the page of revision notes in my head, with the highlighted sections, etc.

I REALLY wish I could do that!!!! Well, I can in other ways but not like that - how useful would that be though?!?!?

its the same with me Hughey,

I'm very skilled but only with what my hands touch,as i got older I found the 'written' stuff easier but still have to keep rereading things,You'll find your a really practical person,especially stuff like mechanics,building,and anything that brings you in physical contact.