kathyanne

Rant about the police

Thinking about it from another perspective I wonder if the whole thing built on a misunderstanding - that by suddenly revealing that he had AS - the police thought in error that this was some sort of confession and that AS was a compulsive disorder that made you compulsively steal or hoard stuff?

Worth a thought

As for the actual comment regarding AS making you steal mail, it could actually be a valid genuine question. If an officer doesn't know what AS is or how it affects people it's a logical question to ask for all the officer knew it might have been similar to kleptomania - we know it's not but we shouldn't assume he had that knowledge and had to ensure it wasn't. It would be wonderful for all police officers to have full knowledge of various conditions they are likely to meet in the community but it's just not possible to cover all bases. A modicum of common sense would mean for me that the officer should have asked James for some details of AS so he could get a rough understanding of it.

I also agree with darkshine that those with issues looking officers in the eye are going to have to tougher time than most, must be very difficult for the person with AS and also for the police officer who's training and insincts will be telling them to not trust this person.

Don't the NAS do little cards that can be given to people with brief explanation of ASDs?

Don't the NAS do little cards that can be given to people with brief explanation of ASDs?

Funny you should mention this, my other half printed me out a lot of info he has been reading online and this was one of the things he had been looking at.

The link is http://www.autism.org.uk/card and this is what it says on the first page of the link........Developed in consultation with adults with autism and parents, our autism alert card can be carried by a person with autism and used in difficult situations, where they may find communication difficult.

The autism alert card is designed to tell people about the condition, and asks them to show respect and tolerance. The card comprises a wallet which contains a leaflet of key facts about autism, and a credit-card style insert where people can write emergency contact details.

Lou :)