itsjustme

Special Interests in Aspies

A short question for all of you out there :)

Does everyone with aspergers have a special interest, or is it a variable symptom? I'd also like to know what your interest is, if you have one (but don't feel obliged to answer at all =])

Kinda random, but whatever.

This past fortnight I've been obsessed by...

NIN, listening to or playing music, reading (about 6 books), DIY, making and painting boxes, Last week carpentry in general, over the weekend churches, this week: how to build a scale model church using wood including full checks into architectural plans for said building, history, planning changes, and many online searches, then using my own calculation system due to lacking architectural plans, blu-prints or any scale at all, had to convert every measurement of a fairly complex building in order to create a somewhat accurate scale blah blah blah blah blah. 2 stupid online games, being in water, writing, emailing penpal (who is fortunately obsessive too), house maintenance planning requiring extensive lists and visits to hardware stores, lists about health, med change, upcoming appointments, lists lists lists

OH MY GOD this sounds boring! And I've been unable to do much due to ill-effects of med change hmmm obsessive? me? never!

If someone were to ask me again in a months time half of this list will be different.... :blink: oh and this is the short answer to the short question :lol:

My main 'thing' has always been history but probably primarily the 'anthropology' or cultural aspects of history including architecture and art (gawd...that sounds so boring :whistle: ). In all honesty, it incorporates LOADS of things...politics, current affairs...

As a kid I was besotted by the Victorian era. I used to brush my hair 100 times at night because Victorian ladies did this?! I also got mum to do my hair in rags so I achieved the ringlets that Victorian children had and at school I would write stories about time-travelling back to that era. I also loved Medieval history but I think my view of it was somewhat coloured by fairytales so Rapunzel had a huge bearing on what I thought it was like to live in those blood-soaked and disease-ridden times :wacko:

I then moved onto Scottish history in particular...I've never lost my love of Pictish stones...and geology. I read a large tome, cover to cover about world geology, plate tectonics etc when I was 17!! Riveting stuff, lol :blink:

When I did my Postgrad it covered quite a lot of topics and I was quite fascinated by the 'Interpretation' aspect of 'explaining' the built and natural environment to tourists (Scottish Natural Heritage etc) and art and artefacts to visitors of galleries and museums.

I've also loved looking at images of how the earth looks from the air which takes us nicely into the realm of Science Fiction, space travel, back to time travel, alternate dimensions, how history is written by people who win the wars etc...blah-de-blah...all this looks SO boring in black and white :dance:

Oh, and right now I'm quite interested in finding out all I can about Aspergers :whistle:

I have just two special interests, both with a precision engineering theme:

1. collecting camera lenses which, unfortunately, is a fearfully costly special interest to have.

2. motorcycle drag racing. My right femur contains a lot of metal after a car crash in 2009 and the doctors warn I could lose my whole leg if I broke it again. So, in the circumstances this is a bit of a foolish pursuit but what can you do?

Go racing and photograph the whole event with an on-board camera? ;)

In case of doubt, I should clarify that the events are organised at disused airstrips, not on public roads! :) Details at www.200mph.net.

Shame - it'd be a far funner image of people risking everyone's lives on public roads.... :rolleyes:

I used to like the American drag racing with the oversized cars blowing fire and occasionally exploding or bursting into flames :devil: nothing like a good fireball to brighten the day...

Edited by darkshine

A short question for all of you out there :)

Does everyone with aspergers have a special interest, or is it a variable symptom? I'd also like to know what your interest is, if you have one (but don't feel obliged to answer at all =])

Kinda random, but whatever.

Hi, I love everything to do with weather always checking on line at various sites waiting for the winter snow predictions every day ....family ask me waht the weather will be like i cant help it ...........lindy

I just get obsessed with whatever im doing......i planned my entire wedding in a couple of weeks :)

Actually i do have another "obsession"......i like to look at what things are made of...... i got the use of a microscope when i was about 11, and looked at everything from snot to ear wax!!

I'm now a microbiologist, so i get to use microscopes at work too which i love :)

Nicki

I have had a few misfortunate times when a person became the focus of my obsessions but I have thankfully grown out of that. For about 10 years ut was F1 and other motorsports. Now it tends to be whatever is happening for I am planning in my life. Buying my house, organising my wedding, getting pregant, being pregnant, getting a job working from home, learning to drive (done in 3 weeks!), getting approval for bariatric surgery, being pregnant again(was a little accident we found out about same day as I got approval for surgery so I was well confused having to rearrange my plans for a whole year almost) losing weight after surgery, getting a professional to take me seriously about my son,getting dla for son, getting accepted as a student midwife (I didn't succeed at that but just refocused to goal being a nurse then a midwife, getting a place as a student nurse, getting son a place at special language resource, getting approval for plastic surgery, getting a 3 bedroomed house. Current obsessions are planning the house move and getting my own dx for AS.

Obsessed moi???????

Hi

Some of my interests are listed in my signature. i tend to dip in and out of them depending on how im feeling at the time.

Hi - My special interests include languages (I'm learning Spanish, Dutch, Welsh and Russian), meteors, ornithology, gastropods (it started as a joke that got out of hand), clouds, lepidoptera and cavies (guinea-pigs, though I can't have any right now).