Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

EP

Hi,

My son, now aged 5, has a statement and has seen the EP in school twice since starting nursery in sept. 03. We haven't had a report from the second visit cos the EP left our lea before his annual review.

I am concerned that there is no record of his development from this time, and his IEP's are just being made up from the teacher and senco's input.

The first EP visit, she assessed him using the Vineland scales and said we would be pleased to see how much he had progressed in a year's time. Obviously, we now have now idea how much he has progressed cos no-one has been to see him. Do we have any say in how often he is assessed by an EP ?

Thanks for your input,

wac

Rhodri last saw an EP when he was going through Statementing.He will probably next see an EP prior to Secondary transfer.They don't seem to be involved very often but the annual review and the IEP's are updated regularly and so I know how he is progressing.xx

Hi Waccoe,

in my experience they seem to leave it until they absolutely have to, I have known some kids go 4 years without seeing one and then only because the child was going through transition. You can contact them direct and say that you want your child to see an EP, it is imortant, especially if you think the school don't know what they are doing regarding targets e.t.c. They could be doing more harm than good.

I asked my sons school about this recently. They said that they are allocated specific EP hours and must use them effectively and usually only when required. My son hasn't seen one for over a year now. I did find also she had nothing to do with my sons IEP so had to get Parent Partnership to get them to sort it out as it was being done wrong. But yes if you have concerns you should usually be able to contact the EP service, if you ask the school they will have the number

all the problem's Com has been having and when I ask if there is a report since 2001 I get told he should have seen one last year but they 'forgot'.

anyway I go in to school the next morning to be greeted with 'the Ed Psych will be in to see Com this morning' - no notification and I'm not ready!

fortunately(?) the reason I'd popped in was to let them know Com was ill and wouldn't be in school

so then I went and got the number of the Ed Psych and rang him to make sure I knew when he was seeing Com and complained about what has been going on

seeing Ed psych next wednesday

and I'm ready this time

Zemanski

the psychology services number should be on the ed psych reports in a child's statement.

if you don't already have a report then it is usually easier to phone the social inclusion or SEN department and ask to be put through - they usually work in the same building

failing that the number should be on the LEA website

Zemanski

just back from meeting - EP doesn't know why he has never been asked to see Com!

he was great :D

he understood AS :D:D

he wants to tighten up Com's statement and is bringing forward his review :D:D:D

he was absolutely appalled at what has been happening and wants to help sort things out :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

next meeting thid afternoon is with the Dep. head to confirm next year's provision - hope the goes as well

Zemanski

nothing in place whatsoever

and no time to do it

having another meeting the day before he goes back to school

this meeting was so we could prepare him for the changes :angry::angry::angry:

emailing the advisor tonight, nasty letter to head in the morning

not happy

Zemanski