Charlie C

Attending Day Centre......... So Boring just sitting around all the time.

The CLDT thought it would be good for me to attend a NHS day centre for people on the spectrum and LD which I have been attending for some months now but I hate it because its so boring and all we do is sit around in the dining room sometimes up to two hours between activities, the activities aren't so bad..... Now I don't really want to go anymore and miss most days but I'm a dilemma because if I stop going fully I'll be bored and will lose my funding and might have to get a job which I'm not ready for....... But if I carry on going I'll be bored.

Would attending the day centre look good on my esa forums because I'm really worried about losing my benefits and being poor... Should I carry on going for the stake of my benefits?

Is there something they can schedule to do during the breaks? eg could you take a portable CD player and listen to music during the breaks.

Could you find something interesting to study (as that can count as work related activity if it could find you employment in the long run).

Could you try and find a different day centre such as autism west midlands? How about taking in some games or some activity you can do at the day centre?

Have to admit that they tried to push this sort of thing onto me. Only difference is that I am in full time employment.

Is there a hobby that you could take up that couldbe performed during the sitting around phases? or how about telling someone there of the feelings you have towards the boring times with a view to them helping you fill that void?

SidiousUK

I dont go to day centre anymore and no it shouldnt affect your ESA i am on ESA and not working or going to day centres anymore. im on the ESA support group, what one are u on

Edited by Special_talent123

I dont go to day centre anymore and no it shouldnt affect your ESA i am on ESA and not working or going to day centres anymore. im on the ESA support group, what one are u on

i'm currently on IB

I hope I can get into the support group, but it only say autistic features in my care plans so I'm doubtful, although I live in supported living attended a day centre, my benefists get paid to social services thought my appointee,eg just feel like I've not done enough.

I have had a few periods in my life where going to a centre and being part of a group was benificial in that it put some routine into my life and stability. However as a loner who is noramlly very happy and content with his own company the social aspects offered nothing for me. What kind of bugged me about such places was that we were all supposed to get on really nicely with each other. In reality I could see that other people in the groups were having a hard time and so the last thing I felt they needed to do was deal with me as well.

After a bit I decidied to take out of the experience what had been beneficial and that was the routine and I made sure that this was built into my life. It might simply be the case that this thing has run its course, that doesn't mean it is bad rather its purpose which once had value has now been diminished a bit.

If you decide to move on and drop going make sure you put something more positive into your life to justify the decision.

I hope I can get into the support group, but it only say autistic features in my care plans so I'm doubtful, although I live in supported living attended a day centre, my benefits get paid to social services thought my appointee,eg just feel like I've not done enough.

What does your diagnostic letter say though? Being in supported living should help you get ESA.

diagnostic letter says

mild learning disabilities

borderline personality diorder (emotional unstable type)

autistic features

ADHD?

i'm really worried about this change over and getting ESA.....

diagnostic letter says

mild learning disabilities

borderline personality disorder (emotional unstable type)

autistic features

ADHD?

i'm really worried about this change over and getting ESA.....

Hadnt realise it was mild rather then moderate learning disabilities, however your mental health problems and suspected ADHD could probably help you in convincing the ESA people you need support.

Have you tried the work capability assessment online?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_172012

Theres an option to download the work capability assessment. Try it and see.