jlineton

Musical interest or lack of them

Do others auspies have as little interest in music as I do. Do you not have the interest to remember bands (names, band generas, generally not think that bands (e.g. the Beatles, Nivirna, the smiths, etc) are not that important? Or is this just a facet of my personality?

JRL.

I can remember bands and even the names of their songs when I hear a few bars, but I tend to like the SONG rather than the artist.

I have only one exception to this and it is Prince

I love to listen to music but can never remember band names or the names of songs and I can't identify a song from a few bars either.

L x

I think this is a facet of our personalities and how our brains work which will be unique for all of us. Personally I find there are some things I am very good at remebering and music is one of them. I used to be in a very successful pub quiz team and we would normally win and easily cover our travelling expenses and get a meal out of our winnings every couple of months. I was the only one in the team who was any good on musical questions and would know if I knew a song from a few bars on one play. I would hate it when the quiz master would repeat it or give out clues. If I didn't know it I would know I didn't instantly. Sometimes I would just sit there and carry on with the quiz and about 10 minutes later the answer to what the tune was would come out. The response from the team was always after the first play "do you know it" andswer usually "yes", "have you got the answer yet", again usually "no but I will have in a bit".

A lot of my memery is structured in this way I know the stuff is in there but it often takes a bit of time to find it. What I do find is if I try to hard I have no chance of getting to it, it is only when I back off and relax and things come to me easily.

That is my experiences of this type of thing, music or anything visual or creative are a strength, things like dates and numbers are really difficult for me to remeber. Guess we all have strengths and weaknesses.

If music stopped existing tomorrow I swear I would die within a few months - its a big part of my life, not in the way people talked about it like when I was at school, like "oh, you like music do you?" and there'd be this tone about it that I couldn't interpret - I don't like it like that - even though I don't know what that means - but I do know it sounded negative lol.

I mean it as a way of expression - in my music library (can't remember how many files now but over 30gb of it) I have something for everything, whether I'm happy, down, angry, chilled or even motivated, there's something there for every occasion. I'm not great at remembering every track title or sometimes even every artist, but that doesn't matter because I have a mate who I can ask and he knows everything (almost) as we have a shared library (we put it all together a few years ago so its pretty big).

In addition I like to play music too, generally on a keyboard (I lost most of the hand coordination in my left hand for piano due to a decade of not practising) I just find it soothing on some level that is hard to explain, its like water to a plant, or the sun to the earth, without those things stuff would die, and that's how I feel about music.

Of course there's music I don't like - but then I generally don't have to listen to it.

My top ten hated are

1. Jazz

2. Hotel/store elevator music

3. Any recording while being put on hold (when making a phone call) :angry: (I could have put it as number one really) :lol:

4. Some bluegrass and country (but not all)

5. A fair percentage of anything that's in the charts over the last 5 years :devil:

Even taking these into account, there's still more hours of music out there than the whole sum of my life - its enough to keep me occupied - especially with my penchant for listening to my faves over and over :dance:

I tend to obsess about particular bands and artists.

It tends to make people think that I have an incredibly narrow taste in music which couldnt be further from the truth.

I appreciate anything from Classical Italian Opera to Dubstep and electrofunk.

The only music styles I really dislike are RnB, Happy Hardcore and Black Metal.

The latter is just shouting over obnoxiously aggressive guitar chords.

My lad is 18 and has absolutely zero interest in music in any shape or form. It's a shame, really, because he can't talk to other kids at college about music or share in what they're interested in, which can be a bit isolating as most teenagers enjoy music. He has no preference at all towards any different kind of music, he can just take or leave all of them, well, leave infact. He couldn't recognise any band or identify a single song, which is quite unusual I think. I always have the radio on in the car and usually sing along .... maybe that's what's put him off! :oops:

~ Mel ~

There is something about what kind of music you like that NTs interpret as being somekind of measure of you. An NT I live in the same block as asked me what kind of music I liked. I do not obsess about a a genere of music. I have a really small collection of music and most of the conversations NTs have about music goes way above my head and sounds boring anyway. I like a few odd bands or groups and generally buy all they produce but there is no coherence in what I like or buy. My music collection resembles one in a second hand shop. I have not been asked this question for years now and it prompted my post to see what other thought. I do not dislike music and I miss it if I go with out it for a long period say 2-4 weeks, but it is not central to my life as other seem to have it. I just wondered if it was a me or a auspie thing.

JRL

I love music and have wide ranging tastes (and dislikes!). However I can't ever remember the lyrics to a song, yet I can remember the tune/beat/harmonies etc

I do love some of the classical composers' music. And some of the pop artists I love, like or can listen. :rolleyes: