Charlie C

Are people in supported living going to be safe from the IB/ESA changeover?

I'm currently living in supported living and am very worried about the ominous benefit changeover, do you think people living in 24/7 staffed supported living placement are going to be safe when they start throwing people of benefits?

I don't think that because someone lives in supported living will be treated any different to any one else.

The theory behind the ESA is that people now on IB who are deemed able to work will be supported in getting work. If you are deemed unable to work then you will ESA in place of IB.

The worry people have is that the new criteria is more to do with what you can do and not about what you cant. Of course one problem which very little seems to be being done to address, is the lack of suitable work for people who have disabilities.

Not knowing anything about the particular housing scheme you are in and what the criteria for a place there is I cant comment on how any change in you benefit status may affect that.

Housing benefit will continue to be payable when changing to ESA, I would not think the new benefit cap would affect you.

So basically if you are currently on IB and deemed fit to work, you will be treated as unemployed. (There is a half way status were you will receive additional support for 12 months) (At lest that is the way I understand it).

Edited by chris54

sorry i was on the phone when typed that.

I was on income support and Incapabity Benefit, and as they were phasing away i had to fill out an ESA form which is called ' Limited Capability for work' and you have to at least fit 15 points to qualify it, if they fill you benefit from working but not yet there will place you work related activity group, which u can get for 365 days and you will get affected and u have to attend work interviews with jobcentre, but if you get put in support group u dont have to do anything like me u wont be affected because you are incapable of working. if your worried also call them because i was anxious like u and had to call them to find out

Edited by Special_talent123