• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
smileyK

what are adult symptoms of SPD ???

smileyK   

i have A.S but also have dyspraxia too when i'm at work or anywhere noisy loud environment bus place struggle grasp conversation get muddled confused get conversation wrong completely happen lot at work due to noise could this be part of my dyspraxia ? or my A.S or both? or could SPD come into play as lot of A.S ,Dyspraxia seem like other co -morbid conditions overlap closely neatly with SPD? what is chance possibility i could have this? or do i just have sensory processing difficulties as part of A.S /dyspraxia/ or 'something more than that' ? how would i know if had SPD?

when i was assessed by CAMHS a clinical pyschologist she put in my diagnosis report that my processing speed score at aged 14 when assessed came out at 62 in extremely low range so did my perceptual reasoning score was 53 which also was extremely low range my working memory was again extremely low at 65 but i put this down to fact of dyspraxia due to retraining /keeping information in my head due to short-term memory loss the only thing came out different level/score was my verbal comprehension which turned out to be low average of 13 which i assume for A.S being quite talkative verbally expressive /communicative is where that comes in and fits in there?

the recommendations of this diagnosisreport was to be referred to paediatrician of further investigation of my perceptual skills what does mean as this never came to anything/ never happened materialised at all/ could this be connected to SPD? and what i'm struggling difficulties now in situations? how would my perceptual skills affect me?

also when reading a book at work to the kids i 'trip' over words and struggle with reading 'full' sentences they get broken split up jumbled get confused stumble over words/sentences get wrong is this just dyspraxia ?

XKLX

Peebs   

sensory processing disorder .... SPD stands for!

It's really not the most common meaning of that acronym. Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction is something many pregnant women suffer from, and by far the most common meaning of SPD - I have sensory processing disorder and I don't abbreviate it for this reason. It's best not to use acronyms unless they are understood by everyone.

u asked if its relating to dyspraxia or sensory processing disorder smiley, but u are saying u know what dyspraxia is. i was answering your questioning and if u really want to know about sensory processing disorder there is a really good explanation on youtube of what it is.

trekster   

It's really not the most common meaning of that acronym. Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction is something many pregnant women suffer from, and by far the most common meaning of SPD - I have sensory processing disorder and I don't abbreviate it for this reason. It's best not to use acronyms unless they are understood by everyone.

Theres also semantic pragmatic disorder,

i prefer to use SID (instead of SPD) for 'Sensory intergration disorder' because it means the person has problems processing sensory input. 'Sensory defensiveness' is another term. i tend to use wikipedia for a basic explanation to disabilities (dictionary for words and phrases) then click on links from wikepedia to advanced academic stuff;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_integration_dysfunction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_defensiveness#cite_note-0

One book i found useful for understanding 'sensory defensiveness' (as one author wrote) is;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loud-Bright-Fast-Tight-Overstimulating/dp/0060195207 (she claims these cause misdiagnoses of autism and other disabilities but im 'on the fence' about that viewpoint).

There seems to be a number of different names for one disability and that is problem with sensory processing. Very confusing.