SidiousUK

Treatment for Adults

Hi All,

As some of you my know, I have been having great fun with the lovely NHS and getting help for my AS.

I am fed up with hearing the same old line:-

"Nothing in the area for Adults", "We will release you back into your GP's care"

Is it worth me standing my ground at my next jaunt to the GP (Local mental health have discharged me - dopey sods)

and telling the GP to forget this "nothing for adults in the area" line and tell me what is availble for Children?

All I want is for a perscribing doctor to help me find the right combination of tablets to help me manage this and I am not going to ruddy London for treatment espically as I can't claim the money back for tavel expenses and I am looking at £25.00 per journey!

If they provide services for Children in the area and not Adults can you sue the NHS for age discrimination?

Can the Childs doctor not perscribe anything for Adults as well?

Fed up of being the parcel in a game of pass the parcel so any advice would be welcome

Sidious

Hi Sidious

I think the short answer to your question is "no chance".

Sorry to be blunt but GP's usually don't have time for these sort of conditions and as with many other medical problems, usually palm you off with "hysteria" or some useless drugs. Not to mention that the UK Government want to get rid of the NHS and their pensions so understandably, GPs are totally demoralised with the whole thing.

But of course there are the rare exceptions...

Do you have a good relationship with your GP? Does he/she actually listen to your problems/concerns?

If not, then I think the only answer is self-help although this won't give you the meds you might need. Otherwise it means going private and this aint cheap!

Thanks for being blunt Robert.

The GP is a stickler for procedures and will not perscribe anything she is not told to by someone who knows more.

I think I will try to get them to see me as a rather large 15 year old with a temper infinatly worse.

I can't believe that in this day and age the practice has not had experience of someone with ASD or specifically Aspergers.

If they withhold treatment within in the area due to age then I think I may have a case for age discrimination.

I am physically the same as a 15 year old (as far as I know you don't cease to be a human being when you reach 18)

All I want is a Dr with experience of ASD and what can be perscribed to help aspects of the condition.

As I am employed it does seem to be a case of "you can afford it so pay". There is only so much I will take before that line wears thin.

It is also worth noting that on my joke of a letter from the local mental health team who have decided to discarge me from their care that they say that there is a possibility of me causing harm to another due to my temper.

So the NHS is letting a ticking time bomb wander around in limbo whilst they decide which "queue" to put me in next or try to get me on a train to travel 2 hours to London at my own cost and then back again. Me in a metal tube then in a busy city = very bad!

My temper only flares up when people are stupid or not doing the job which they are paid for - which is everytime I try to get the NHS to help

I think I will try to get them to see me as a rather large 15 year old with a temper infinatly worse.

I can't believe that in this day and age the practice has not had experience of someone with ASD or specifically Aspergers.

I think the practice probably ignore it - i.e. are not interested in people on the spectrum

If they withhold treatment within in the area due to age then I think I may have a case for age discrimination.

I am physically the same as a 15 year old (as far as I know you don't cease to be a human being when you reach 18)

They cannot discriminate you on age - it's illegal

All I want is a Dr with experience of ASD and what can be perscribed to help aspects of the condition.

Does your GP see you as somebody on the spectrum or rather somebody with anger issues?

So the NHS is letting a ticking time bomb wander around in limbo

This is nothing new. Think about all the schizophrenics/psychopaths/murderers/paedofiles that were let loose in society when the NHS closed down all the asylums

Nobody gives a damn anymore...

GP should see me as someone on the spectrum as I paid £600 for a report to confirm it!

The local mental health team have identified "my anger issues" as being part of my Apsergers so they have:-

a) Identified I have a problem

B) Recognised the findings of the report

c) left me in limbo land

I don't have an issue with anger - Everyone else needs to stop being so ###### stupid - lol

I know there are services for young people in the area but nothing for Adults.

My point to the doctor is that treatment within reasonable travelling distance seems to be being withheld based upon my age.

I think it depends what services your eligible for that determines the help you get, the person I live with has anger problems and outbursts where he threatens to stab people but because he has a learning disability he's fast tracked help and was seen within the learning disability team without a week and given PRN medication to calm him down.

Describe what you mean by 'services'. What kind of services are you looking for? What do you feel would help you?

But yes I understand your angst that it appears that once you become an adult you're effectively frozen out into the cold. I felt this too and suddenly the hardness of reality began to set in and that was when I could have done with support. Mind you, it would have helped if I had heard of Aspergers at the time let alone Autism.

But seriously, the first thing you need to ask is - what services are you looking for? What do you hope the services will help you with? Are you asking them the right questions? Maybe they don't know what you want and you need to make more of a case to them? There are services out there that can offer support for a whole variety of syndromes (not just Aspergers) which might be supportive to you too.

Edited by Mike_GX101