DRN

Yet Another Possible Adult Aspie

Hi there,

I've been browsing the forum for a while, but thought I should create an account, as I'd like some feedback.

I've suspected for a while that I might suffer (is that the right word?) from Aspergers/ASD, and when I read about it, many of the symptoms seem to describe me. But on the other hand, I have a good job, and people have commented on how well I get on with new people at things like weddings (even though I find it really difficult). So I don't know if I am just being a hypochondriac, and I don't mean to belittle the condition. I've been thinking about asking my GP for a referral for a dx, but not sure…

Is it normal (again, is that the right word?) to rehearse conversations in your head, and plan exactly what to say to people, beforehand. And often spend ages analysing them afterwards, when you didn't get your point across? Or is this something that points towards ASD?

There are other things that resonate with me when reading about ASD, but I'll not bore you all with a long list in my first post. And I'm struggling to get the right words as it is.

By the way, I'm Donald, from Glasgow, and I'm in my early 30s. Nobody else in my family has been dx w ASD or similar.

Cheers, :D

ps, I think I have invented a new acronym for the title of this post, YAPAA.

Ooh now that has to be sarcasm :dance:

I was more helpful than you - all you said was "helpful" and least I was friendly and said hello for goodness sake :shame:

Actually mate I thought about what you said again last night after I logged off and I think you had a good point when you said:

helpful

When I said I can't answer any questions well when I thought about it again I figured that everyone cannot read my mind - so an explanation is in order.

I mean that I would not like to tell someone they do or don't have something - I don't mind discussing it - I don't mind talking about it - don't mind talking about a fair few things. Just not comfortable saying whether or not I think people have AS - and even when people come here and I think that they can make their own mind up - I do not want to be the one who influences them.

Plus ~ I couldn't answer the questions in the OP either because that would be sailing close to the wind of answering the kinds of question I am not totally comfortable to answer.

Dunno if that makes better sense - but I figured I should offer this explanation as maybe my first reply was a bit blunt :oops:

(Thanks AS Warrior - I got there in the end at seeing what you might have meant) :peace:

Edited by darkshine

Hi Donald

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure whether it's 'normal' to rehearse conversations in your head beforehand but I do it all the time. If I didn't I would have no idea what to say to people.

L x

Hi Donald, welcome and, yes, I also rehearse conversations in my head beforehand but whether this is 'normal' or not I don't know.

Hullo Darkshine,

I understand that you don't want to say (or even imply) what conditions people may or may not have, especially after 1 post on an internet forum. I wasn't trying to ask if I have/am ASD, but maybe it came across that way.

Hi also to Linnet & indiscreet. Good at least to know it's not /just/ me, but I suppose we can never know what "normal" is, as we are all individual. Plus, who wants to be average anyway.

I've started reading "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" by Tony Attwood, as I saw it recommended in another thread. Maybe that will help, or perhaps it will just lead to more questions, as tends to happen when you start turning over stones.

D

Thanks - I maybe didn't put myself across the right way to start with - if it hadn't been for AS-Warrior I wouldn't have given it a second thought - I'm glad I did because what I said first sounded wrong.

The book is pretty good - very informative and readable - there isn't too much complicated language and it provides enough terms to explain things too, which is good for people who want to explain themselves (like me) or like you.

Your post did come across a little like that - but then if a person is trying to work things out, trying to understand themselves, their life, and they join a forum to that very thing - aren't they technically implying that they would welcome opinions or advice or help even - I read it that way I guess... As a implicit thing you know? Just cuz I wouldn't tell someone they have or haven't got something doesn't mean I wouldn't talk about stuff - and it doesn't mean that I wouldn't say yes or no if you asked me if such and such was an AS trait or something like that - I would totally have a conversation if you put up something that makes me think of a response - plus I think we should all share information - I know I'd want someone to share stuff if they knew answers to things that I didn't know about :D

Edited by darkshine

Thanks - I maybe didn't put myself across the right way to start with - if it hadn't been for AS-Warrior I wouldn't have given it a second thought - I'm glad I did

see uncle A-S isnt a big mean bully, im like a ferocious looking kindly bear.

Welcome I'm alexis and im 1/2 scottish (Kirkaldy).

The rehearsing conversations in your head and analysing them afterwards sounds familiar.