lizzy-wilson

New to this...and haven't got a clue what to do

I'm 16 years old and have Aspergers. My mother suggested I join this forum but not sure how to use it.

Have other people my age found it useful?

Hi, I'm new, too. I'm a 35 year old mum, so can't help with your question, but it's nice to say hello. My son is 9, so a bit young for his forum, but I hope it'll be going strong for him when he's a bit older.

Lizzy hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly I don't think your age has anything to do with being on here. Take your time and have a look at what gets put up first and decide if its for you, or jump in and write a post yourself and see what the response is or reply to anything which takes your fancy. Its your forum just as much as it is mine or anyone elses. That word under your picture block says 'member' so welcome to the club.

Hi lizzy-wilson

I'm a bit older than you but you will find this forum very useful. Lots of young people on here and a variety of flavours, opinions, suggestions, self-help etc. You get out what you put in basically

Lizzy hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly I don't think your age has anything to do with being on here. Take your time and have a look at what gets put up first and decide if its for you, or jump in and write a post yourself and see what the response is or reply to anything which takes your fancy. Its your forum just as much as it is mine or anyone elses. That word under your picture block says 'member' so welcome to the club.

So how do you think it would be viewed if my 9 year old posted on here, Lancslad? I'm not sure whether or not he would want to, but it's nice to think it might be an option for him if he was inclined.

Hi Lizzy :)

Mannify,

The forum tries to be family friendly - there was a discussion about it a while back.... someone wanted to know about forums for kids and whether this forum could create a board that was a child friendly zone - there was mixed reactions to it - but I think that was mainly because there are some topics that could potentially be inappropriate.

I myself wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm not everyone lol - I see age as being a number we have, and I remember being 9 and wanting to know about stuff - as his mum you would have to decide on that one - or whether he could ask stuff through you (that way if you wanted some degree of monitoring over what he reads you could do so).

Here's the link - there were some points raised in it - and I believe there's a link to an older topic within that one

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/28017-help-required-online-forum-for-aspergers-teenagers-to-chat/page__p__322099__hl__+child%20+forum#entry322099

I struggled at that age - still struggle now!! I used to find that listening to something predictable helped when I was a kid - it took away the loudness of silence and reduced thoughts in my head.

Yeah, it's amazing just how loud silence can be - it's like a pressure in my head and can sometimes sound like an alarm as the air pressure pounds in my ears - really really annoying - I still go to sleep with a dvd on every night... only ones I really know though or I'd watch them and not sleep :lol:

Plus a lot of houses tend to settle a bit at night and those noises can irritate too - I'm just glad my heating system is quick at heating and cooling, the one my parents had when I was a kid was solid fuel and the pipes would be clicking and creaking half the night too. Things outside can appear much louder too at night - especially if it's windy :rolleyes:

As a kid I used to like story tapes, like from a book or something, and it didn't really bother me listening to the same one every night though it must have driven everyone else insane ;)