narnie

usefull products

agreed with rob, its a bit of a bullseye on your back if you have an i love autisum tee shirt. i couldnt immagine walking into the pub with one of those tee shirts on.

ive always said, first rule of autisum, dont tell pepole you have autisum. unless you really really have too.

Edited by A-S warrior

The point is not to advertise autism, but to promote understanding. If your child is kicking off in tesco it can be useful for other people to know that he/she is not being naughty, thus hopefully stopping the dissaproving looks & comments, which i, as a parent of an asd daughter know only too well, the last thing i want to do is explain what is going on in times of crisis to dissaproving people.

That kinda makes sense :)

Although I wouldn't be keen on wearing one as an adult - I don't like wearing white either - although the fact that the t-shirts are Fruit of the Loom is a bonus as the material is usually nice feeling and lasts - if it isn't white :lol: (I'm messy)

My favourite t-shirt from last year said:

I only please one person a day, today is not your day, tomorrow's not looking good either :devil:

The point is not to advertise autism, but to promote understanding. If your child is kicking off in tesco it can be useful for other people to know that he/she is not being naughty, thus hopefully stopping the dissaproving looks & comments, which i, as a parent of an asd daughter know only too well, the last thing i want to do is explain what is going on in times of crisis to dissaproving people.

I understand your point but if one's child is kicking off in Tescos, is anyone really going to notice what is emblazened on the tee-shirt? Plus is a child going to "want" to wear one knowing that he/she might then become the brunt of teasing etc?I'm sorry if I am missing something...:)

I only please one person a day, today is not your day, tomorrow's not looking good either :devil:

i had a good one, it had the wwf panda on it with another panda behind him swinging a steel chair

Cool, I like the idea of that - I used to know this guy who worked on oil rigs and he once told us all about this argument with a well known charity boat that was circling the rig in protest - they were shouting and screaming at the guys working the rig - it also happened that the boat was chucking out all this smoke and ###### into the atmosphere and then broke down, so this guy called his mate on the standby boat to come and help them out.

I thought he was a nicer person than me cuz I'd have had to have made a few digs about the pollution they were chucking out and again when they broke down :lol:

I love reading t-shirt slogans or pictures, I don't know why but they amuse the hell out of me

That kinda makes sense :)

Although I wouldn't be keen on wearing one as an adult - I don't like wearing white either - although the fact that the t-shirts are Fruit of the Loom is a bonus as the material is usually nice feeling and lasts - if it isn't white :lol: (I'm messy)

My favourite t-shirt from last year said:

i can see why it would be a favourite t-shirt of yours.

Another way of dealing with an unwelcome audience is to say to them "hers is called autism whats your problem".

A documentary 'kid in the corner' had a parent replying to someone staring by saying "can i help you?"

"Autism alert cards" are something else i carry around and my 'communication cards'.

Yeah, I had to stop wearing it as I was becoming really annoying with it :lol:

I like the "Can I help you" thing, whenever anyone has asked me in that way I never know what to say :)

My psychiatrist and housemates all think I should get autism cards, I guess I should in some ways, but in other ways I feel kinda weird doing so... but if anything ever did happen, it'd be easier to explain with the card I guess.

My prioblem is knowing when and how to use my autism alert card because any method taught to me i would be unable

to remember by the time the card was needed!

An autism card is a card that expains why you react in certain ways, so that if you are in a situation where you need to communicate that, or you are in trouble or panicking or whatever so that people know that you are behaving in certain ways cuz of AS or autism.

The NAS does them - but other groups or charities and stuff do them too... they don't cost much

http://www.autism.or...alert-card.aspx

Edited by darkshine

My prioblem is knowing when and how to use my autism alert card because any method taught to me i would be unable

to remember by the time the card was needed!

I think I would have that problem too...

I haven't got a clue - but as far as my thoughts go it could be useful if I got arrested, was in hospital, at summer school perhaps or if something were to happen - I see it as a potential useful thing for emergencies then basically.... yet I still don't have one because I'm not convinced I would ever use it... I kinda am not keen on flashing a card to explain myself - but at the same time I see there have been situations in my life where it could have been useful in letting people understand... double edged sword... in my opinion anyway :blink:

Maybe I won't get one then. I don't plan to be arrested, I already work in a hospital, too old for summer school (:lol:) and I am usually ok at explaining myself in certain situations.

But I wonder if I should get one "just in case"...

What is an autism card? Who/where do they come from?

http://www.autism.org.uk/card

Another option is a medic alert bracelet which can be worn around the ankle (or somewhere else discreet. You can get the sports bracelets as well) https://secure.medicalert.org.uk/shop.php?action=category&id=20 (thats the sale page).

Useful is something you can make use of eg a gadget or aid.