Charlie C

Finding out I have bipolar disorder.

Went to my person centred review Tuesday afternoon at the day centre I sometimes attend, relatively boring stuff. But went back today to do some things like what you like and don't like so the staff there can get to know me better, eg The staff nurse had my file out and was telling me what about each page, when it come to diagnosis it said I have Bipolar affective disorder. Unconventional way to find out because I new nothing of this and quite a shock. I rang my community nurse up and apparently she didn't know anything about it but this was a proper doctors letter i read.

I don't understand why they've not told me this information as I think its pretty important to know, what reasons do they have of hiding it?

BPD is also named 'borderline personality disorder', but BPD an actually be called BiPolar Disorder. But i have never heard of borderline personality disorder for tablets- there are antipsychotics to help reduce the psychosis but the only other thing is antidepressants thats for depression

Confirmed by nurse that I do have bipolar affective disorder, she said they thought it wasn't in my best interests to tell me. Thanks a bunch!!! so here is my list of diagnosis.

mild learning disabilities

bipolar affective disorder

borderline personality disorder

autistic features

ADHD?

Do you think they'll thin those out a little now? The nurse said doctors don't go back and change other doctors

diagnosis, is this true... God I sould like I some be in a nursing home with all those.

This is a diagnosis i been through since i was 4 and it does annoy me when i feel my last diagnosis is wrong

age 4- speech delay and learning disability

age 9- dyspraxia

age 12 clinical depression

age 14 autism

age 17/18 adjustment disorder

age 19 Borderline personality disorder- this is the diagnosis thats wrong, they wont change my diagnosis to Complex PTSD - according to them not allowed 2nd psych evaulation

I cannot even receive counselling , and i am now getting contradicting answers from the nurse team - 1 saying she look into counselling, and 2 being telling voice i cannot because i have a personality disorder. Who am i going to believe - that be Voice not the NHS. my nurse clearly knows nothing about flashbacks and medication. Gp says medication kicks in 3 weeks, nurse says 3 months, nurse tells me i wont get flashbacks if i dont think confused now because it occurs anytime. She thinks watching tv and listening to music resolves my problems but it doesnt i do that every day - and thats a temporary solution not a long term that will not benefit me. I am anxious when i am out and about so that does not help one bit. I am now alot indoors than outside because i come back home with panic attacks.

i believe they may of not told u because they may think you constantly read about it, but with me i do read to help me understand myself better but i came accross Complex PTSD and it actually fits me but wont diagnose me.

im not sure if they can change diagnosis?

Exactly, I'm going to read everything I can on the condition because I want to learn more about it. I'm pleased they diagnosed me with Bipolar as I always felt uncomfortable with the BPD label.

What I see with a lot of medical professionals is they were very keen to attach labels, but now they are holding back because they know the funding isn't there anymore what with all the cuts being made as I understand labels can be a legal description. In an ideal society we would all have a plethora of labels and be suitable medicated, our diagnosi would enable industries to thrive, but we are not in an ideal society, money is very tight in what is it the fourth richest country in the world where the stress of the situation which is living and working in this country could actually be the cause of many of the illnesses we suffer. That is why politically I want Britain to be part of Europe so we can work the hours Europe works but our government does not want that as our government serves industry and the banking sector, not the people. As what does sovereignty mean if the lowest in society are being worked into the ground, flags are ceremonies mean nothing if we can't actually enjoy our lives and as it is, most are struggling and failing, mental illnesses particularly anxiety and depression are on the rise and privatising the health service will not solve it, but make it worse, America is the example to look at in that respect. After WW2 the formation of the NHS was a good idea, it got this country moving, but now it is starting slow, as everything depends on health of the work force.

Bipolar has been suggested by my doctor and he is asking now, have I been formerly assessed for MH, I haven't a clue, that's their job, do they mean I haven't in which case five years of medication for what, do they know what they are doing ?

Edited by Sa Skimrande

1 place you could start with is the bipolar uk website

http://www.bipolaruk...-group-map.html .... is a map of self help groups and there appear to be a few in Birmingham.

Another thing is if you can get a referral to an ADHD clinic and you do have ADHD then the 'bipolar' symptoms could go away.

Some folk have been misdiagnosed as bipolar when in fact they are ADHD.

Another thing is PTSD can manifest itself in similar MH disorders.

http://www.mind.org.uk/ The bristol branch coincidentally ran an ADHD group in bristol that i attended. One of my support workers used to work for Mind in Wales.

Good luck with working out whats happening with your head and how to deal with it.

Kirsty you might want to try emailing your local Mind centre again to see if they can help you overrule your diagnosis.

Edited by trekster

*alexis, mind was not helpful with the response i had got from them. They said that are unable to help regarding my diagnosis but suggests i contact rethink advocacy services and the disability advocacy service who i am already seeing

Edited by Special_talent123

i think being told you cant have a re-evaluation for an alternative mental health problem is just a cop out to avoid spending money.

Seems only temporary or deadly things get diagnosed so readily thesedays.