smileyK

travel sick on every means of transport???

does anyone get travel sick (dizziness,nausea) when travelling in most transport (car,trains,bus & plane etc) any tips advice tried listening to music sucking sweets nothing seems to work is it down to A.S /dyspraxia??? linked connected? anyone tried travel sickness tablets do they work? why is this why does it occur? it due to my short sightness?

XKLX

Sp . Talent - tried opening window doesn't work with me either ... don't travel in coaches often hoping travel more on trains so need get this under control! so going try travel tabs

Hi

We got travel bands from Boots for my son and they definitely seemed to help. They are like wristbands with little buttons on that press on acupressure points.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Adult-Travel-Bands-1-Pair-12-years-_1121524/?CAWELAID=551785846&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Engines-_-Google%20Base-_---_-Boots%20Pharmaceuticals%20Adult%20Travel%20Bands%201%20Pair%2012%20years

only time i ever got travel sick was on a sea cat, in gail force 9 winds. it was during the 98 world cup so i was just a kid, but i,ll never forget it. every single passenger was throwing up, there wasnt a single person exempt. i wouldnt of wanted to be the guy that cleaned that ship lol

Ginger tablets can help as can 'seabands'.

A common cause is an empty stomach.

Smiley

There are a few practical things you can do depending on the type of transport you are using. In cars, trains and buses you are often looking out of the window which means that you are seeing the world in a very speeded up way and every vehicle moves faster than a human normally moves. This affects your sense of balance and can make you feel nauseous. Reading, like Special mentions can have the same effect as your eyes will have to constantly adjust to the up and down movement of the vehicle. In a car you might find it easier to sit in the front seat and look forward - I always used to try to get the front seat on a bus too for the same reason - and on a train you will likely feel less sick if you get a seat facing the direction you are going.

A boat can make a lot of people sea sick (again the up and down motion). On a ferry, I would take frequent breaks from sitting inside to get fresh air.

Lynda

Yes I get travel sick, in cars and buses or coaches - but I don't get travel sick when driving a car :rolleyes:

I use mints, have the window down completely, and I breathe.

I avoid coaches very successfully and avoid buses as much as humanly possible.

I'm OK travelling in a car if I sit next to the driver but not in a back seat. There's a limit to how long I can travel in a bus but I'm fine on a train.

Travel sickness affects people in different ways. Yes I get travel sick at the back of a car but not the front. Reading etc makes things worse. I sometimes get travel sick on some of the new trains but that is because there are no opening windows and the same old aircon gets recycled again and again

Anxiety and probably the side effects of some of your meds can bring on travel sickness.

Also try and cut back on salt in your diet

Hi,

We have found that the bracelets mentioned by MandaPanda help my son, who gets sick in all forms of transport.

As Trakster says, an empty stomach can make things worse, and we find if he eats something dryish before the trip, some biscuits etc, then he is better than if he has a lot of liquids beforehand.

Diane

Went on train today on way back had eaten lunch then snack then sucked on mint polo which helped bit but am going look into option of tablets and bracelet to comPare both together see if any work more effectively and successfully hate wave of stomach churning sickness and spinning dizziness used to hate going on tyre swings when younger and roundabouts and rollercoaster gives me same physical signs

Lots of things the others have said work and travel tablets definitely help. I'm 37 and still get travel sickness. Just last week I was travelling in the back of my parents car to my sisters wedding venue and had to get my Dad to swap so my Mum could get in the back and I could get in the front seat. If you are looking out of the front, and not the sides where things are zooming past it helps. Like Darkshine I don't get it when driving though but I suppose that's because you are focused on what you are doing.

I get disorientated on planes when they turn, throw up on boats, and I can't watch anything on TV that's filmed documentary style without feeling nauseous (think Blair Witch style - I actually had to leave the cinema and throw up during that one!).

Lynne

I have always been extremely travel sick. For me it is the motion, but also the smells; smells of plastic, smells of perfume, smells of other people!

The only time I am not travel sick is when I drive. Then that is probably because I am sat at the front, concentrating on what is going on ahead. As already mentioned, sitting at the front and looking ahead and facing the way you are travelling all helps.

Sometimes having a certain smell can help - but that is down to the individual.

I have found that travel gum works for my children. We got that in Europe, don't know if they have the equivalent in the UK.

Another medication that we used is Phenergan. And my son has Alimemazine. These both have a sedative effect, and they work very well on travel sickness. You take it the night before you travel. My son takes it every evening and he isn't sick in the taxi to school.

I would ask the chemist if you need a prescription, and also to check if you can take it with any other medication you are on.

just feel it is getting worse as get older struggling to manage it! hate way makes me feel yukky! i think carpet seat smell sets off my travel sickness it's weird/strange looking back i've always felt rough in cars sick /dizzy!

Do you get stressed before you get in a car/train/bus etc?

Cuz when you get stressed you breathe quicker and shallower, this can happen prior to being sick... did you not that it's pretty impossible to throw up while breathing?

Also when you get stressed - or car sick - it can make your chest tight - making it harder to breathe and increasing the feeling of travel sickness...

Two things I do...

1. When I feel sick, I control my breathing, I put all of my focus on making sure I breathe in and out slowly and deeply - fresh air can help with this. Also sitting in the front passenger seat seems to help.

2. If it gets beyond this and I'm starting to think I'm actually gonna be sick - I notice my stomach goes hot - so sometimes putting something cool on it helps - against the skin not through clothes.

I hate travel sickness cuz it's worse than being normal sick - cuz it makes me feel like hell and if we've travelled miles from home and I've felt like that I don't want to get back in the car again to go home!!

The fail safe solution is to get off the coach/bus as soon as possible - or if in a car, get them to stop so you can get out for a bit.

But I really find that stress and anxiety makes it worse - and because I know that buses/coaches and cars make me travel sick I get stressed before I even get inside the vehicle - and I really don't think that helps.

i subsciously i suppose i do work myself up get stressed anxy now before step inside any for of transport so mixture /combination of the two together ( travel sickness/anx,fear ) build as suppose i know what coming sicky feeling inside my stomach like knotts inside tummy or like i'm on permament rollercoaster never going to pause/stop/end it awful churning! get headache!

Yeah, that's sort of how I feel (I find it hard to describe) - I did find it helpful to be calmer prior to getting in a car - but it's taken a long time to get anywhere with it... Depends on whether the idea of breathing and trying to find calmness annoys you or not - cuz it's amazing how often that can be suggested for a whole range of things :)