Mandapanda

Women and ASD - interesting article

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say this article actually made me personally feel quite depressed...

I'd like to know how these women made it to the top of their fields, managed to find partners who were happy to swop gender roles in the home, managed to avoid (by the sounds of it) mental health difficulties and who have only experienced 'low-grade' bullying in the workplace?

The article makes it sound like motherhood's a breeze, all women with AS have masculine-type interests and attitudes (there's a surprise!) and the only real problem is the weekly shop.

Sorry to be so negative...they even scrub up extremely well...

Surely that would provide inspiration though Lyndalou for females with asperger's - it demonstrates that with determination and hard work there is hope out there contrary to belief. Maybe there are those who cheat but I'm sure there are those who work their socks off and make it too.

Edited by Mike_GX101

As i said Mike, this is MY PERSONAL reaction to the article.

For the last year and a half I have been in a very difficult position of being 'in limbo' after being told I have the triad of impairments, I have experienced all the difficulties associated with AS, I have passed the Ritvo Adult Aspergers Diagnostic Test, I have significant sensory difficulties and have experienced chronic mental health difficulties since pre-adolescence but I have been denied an assessment and have an expert 'opinion' that I am only disordered 'some of the time'. The reasons I don't 'qualify' for a diagnosis include: I did 'too well' at school and I have 'too much' inner strength, I could possibly get a diagnosis if my marriage broke down (because my husband does things I'm not so good at) and I am 'too self aware'.

Not even my husband fully believes me or supports me because well...you know...if a professional won't put the official stamp on it...

What they mention only in passing: you need an IQ of 140 to get a position where a NT person would need only 120. Sometimes, I get frustrated by that, but I try to be philosphical about it ...

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say this article actually made me personally feel quite depressed...

I'd like to know how these women made it to the top of their fields, managed to find partners who were happy to swop gender roles in the home, managed to avoid (by the sounds of it) mental health difficulties and who have only experienced 'low-grade' bullying in the workplace?

The article makes it sound like motherhood's a breeze, all women with AS have masculine-type interests and attitudes (there's a surprise!) and the only real problem is the weekly shop.

Sorry to be so negative...they even scrub up extremely well...

I totally agree, I work at home because of beeing aspie and I suffer from depression, oh, to have their lives

For the last year and a half I have been in a very difficult position of being 'in limbo' after being told I have the triad of impairments, I have experienced all the difficulties associated with AS, I have passed the Ritvo Adult Aspergers Diagnostic Test, I have significant sensory difficulties and have experienced chronic mental health difficulties since pre-adolescence but I have been denied an assessment and have an expert 'opinion' that I am only disordered 'some of the time'. The reasons I don't 'qualify' for a diagnosis include: I did 'too well' at school and I have 'too much' inner strength, I could possibly get a diagnosis if my marriage broke down (because my husband does things I'm not so good at) and I am 'too self aware'.

Not even my husband fully believes me or supports me because well...you know...if a professional won't put the official stamp on it...

Lyndalou, I sympathise. Those were the reasons given when I was initially told that I didn't 'qualify' for a diagnosis. However I gritted my teeth, stayed calm, and pointed out that it had taken a lifetime time of effort developing that 'inner strengh' and 'self-awareness' and I felt I was 'owed' the right to know if there was a reason why I am like I am, rather than that I am somehow to blame for it. To do her justice my GP understood and spent a lot of time and effort getting me a dx. As I result I felt - as Becky says in this article - "it was a massive relief to be told I had it because it took away the feeling of guilt Ild had for so long."

So my advice is to go for it, keep pressuring for a diagnosis and don't take 'no' for an answer.

I absolutely agree that this article could be depressing/disheartening to some. Mind you, most articles about successful women make me feel inadequate! However, us parents need some positive examples to cling on to when times are tough. We want to believe that our kids will progress and achieve, but I am sure we are all too aware of just how difficult that is likely to be.

As i said Mike, this is MY PERSONAL reaction to the article.

im really shocked and disgusted by your LA, i did very well at school 3bs, 4cs and 2ds along with ASDAN Youth Award Scheme. i am also a strong person supported by the fact im a CPTSD survivor (abuser in hell im still here) and i have a lot of self awareness and insight into my ASD and other disabilities.

i now have an autism degree but i wouldnt have got that without knowing about my ASD.

Could you join your local autism strategy or autism act?

Unsure if this is of any relevance to you...

http://www.autism.org.uk/news-and-events/news-from-the-nas/nhs-must-implement-nice-guidelines.aspx

Also this project....

http://www.autism.org.uk/news-and-events/news-from-the-nas/postcode-lottery-project-in-scotland.aspx

...aims to tackle the postcode lottery in Scotland that you are experiencing.

Services in your area...

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/search-results/pg=1.aspx

HTH

Thanks very much Trekster for all the links, especially the information about Scottish initiatives.

Apologies to anyone fed up about me banging on about this......

I look back to my approach to trying to gain a diagnosis as a bit of a 'Comedy of Errors' in a sense:

First of all, my own naivety that it would be a straightforward process

The primary reason I gave to the GP for requesting an assessment, ie. in order to be able to maintain employment (as this is how I measure my worth) instead of concerns about day-to-day difficulties (because I'm so used to them, lol)

Believing that an independent opinion (after having being turned down for an NHS assessment as both the GP and then the Psychiatrist on her advice had already formed an opinion I was not very affected without any form of assessment being carried out) would take account of information provided by a previous therapist along with the formal tests and developmental history. My assessor asked for my Psychotherapist's details but never contacted him...there are 16 hours of videod therapy sessions detailing relationship difficulties in particular.

Not taking into account my past professional experience, ie. a great deal of experience of working one-to-one and in instructional and information-gathering roles, therefore coming over well in a one-to-one environment including 'understanding of the back and forth of conversation' and 'referring back to the assessor' mentioned by the assessor in his report. My advocacy background was documented as 'secretarial work' in my report... :wallbash: along with numerous other errors and omissions.

I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place because the person who provided my opinion is the only person in the entire North-East of Scotland (as far as I am aware) who is called upon to provide expertise in Autism/Aspergers by any Psychiatrist or Psychologist. He said I could request a second opinion but the Psychiatrist who covers this area is the only person who can refer me for assessment and he called me 'a waste of resources' and the person he would refer me to if he took me seriously would be the private assessor...see the dilemna :blink:

A new friend of mine had a breakdown and had an Ed Psych report which she presented to her assessor - the same man who assessed me. He spoke to her for 10 minutes and told her he was satisfied she had Aspergers. She told me she deliberately avoided his gaze and stared at the floor etc...oh, and she is quite 'boyish' and into computers.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!