A-S warrior

perspective storys

this is the place to write a story in the perspective of another creature or an inanimate object, anything from bedknobs, broomsticks alligators or cockroaches. immagine what life is like for them and then post in character.

episode 1, the spider.

hi, im larry the spider. im the type that has the really long hairy legs. the type you find in the bath and running along the floor. and im comming here today beacuse i havent got a friend in the world.

i only want to come into the houses beacuse its cold and rainny outside. but as soon as a human sees me they run away! some put a giant glass over me, some come at me with a news paper, some try and stamp on me. all i want is to stay warm and dry.

why do you humans want to always hurt me? ive never done anything to you! lifes not easy when everything around you is trying to attack you! if it isnt pepole its giant birds!

i just want to get on with my life and be left alone!

Edited by A-S warrior

Episode 2: The ground

You walk on me, spit on me, ###### on me and ###### on me, you puke on me, bleed on me, stamp and jump and run on me, everyday you stand on me, what would you do without me?

When you've been up in the air you want to be back on me, and when when you are on me you want to be up in the air.

I am life when you reach me from the water, for you can't live there forever.

Things live on me, animals, plants, trees, people...

Things get built on me, and I'm dug up and ripped apart for these things that get built and I don't think much of a lot of those things you build...

Kids play on me and draw on me, sit on me and dance on me..

Just remember sometimes I am there under your feet, that you live on me and when you die you return to me

Edited by darkshine

Episode 3: Water

I am everything to you and without me life would be very different, in fact it wouldn't be very long at all.

I am flexible in my thinking and am good a filling voids. I get on well with elements just like me but can be really problematic to others. Sometimes I can mix well and sometimes I can't.

If you try to push me you might not get very far and dragging me along doesn't work with me well either, better you just learn to follow my path.

On calm days I can be the most beautiful thing you will ever see, you might even be able to see yourself in me. On a wild and windy day I can have a bit of fun and I might make you feel miserable.

But if you look closely and I mean really closely you will see I am just water, pure and simple water.

Episode 4: The Stick

I have had my time and have served my purpose, the leaves have long since blown away do with me as you wish.

I can be a child's weapon of defence, a gun a sword or a bow.

I can be a dog's best friend or at least for a while.

I can be support for the frail.

I can swim along a river or dance in the wind.

In fact I can be whatever you make of me, so what will it be today?

episode 5 the oven:

i hate my life, i get so hot and i never get to eat the food you put in me, sometimes im roasting for up to 8 hours! espeshilly at christams, i hate my job! and he worst of it, you all feel the need to slam my door shut. do you know how much that hurts? and then when my life is over im thrown into a industrial estate dump. and you think you have it tough? ha!

It's taking me all my restraint not to post episode 6: the threadworm. I think I could do something with that. But it would be pretty yucky, and it wouldn't get my essay done. All in all, I'll refrain.

Episode 6: The Cardboard Box

I am sitting here in the dark it's cold and my insides feel heavy. Some days I hear voices, but they are not for me so I sit here all alone. Tight and bound.

The voices get closer and closer now and I hear my name for the first time "Hotpoint WMFG611P yes that's the one", yes that's me!

My world turns crazy I get turned upside down, dragged from side to side, I see the sunlight for a second but it's gone and then the noise starts, so much noise, when will it end, then everything stops the world is still, I feel my life is about to change.

I am on the move again but these big hands are so much gentler now and sound more friendly too, and there is a new voice a soothing voice, a voice which sounds as if it could care "yes please just over there".

And then they are cut, the bindings are cut and I can breathe but its more than that I am being opened up I can't ever remember feeling like this, then I am on my side and they push and pull and all at once I am empty and sit there for but one second before I get pushed aside.

I get a sense, a sense of rejection and I think did WMFG611P mean anything, I mean, anything to me!

I am sitting here it feels dark, it feels cold but my insides feel light there is something missing in my life.

And the voices they come again "oh mummy can we, can we please we promise, please" those voices sound light and full of joy but they can't be for me.

I get touched again, I get dragged and pushed but something is very different, the hands are soft they are small but there is a sense they care. But these hands are deceptive, they can be so destructive at the same time, they push and pull, and they cut deep into my sides and I don't think I like what this means but I feel safe in those hands and I don't know why, I am confused.

And those soft voices they start to talk about change, they say they know what to do, they talk about putting colour into my life. And the fun starts as the colours arrive, then new things to decorate me, extra things this is so exciting, this is starting to make sense, it is all about the stories these new voices make so much more sense they make me feel part of the world, their world.

Oh and what worlds they are, they are full of mummy's and daddies and teddy bears. The world I like best is the one with princesses and kings. There are dragon's as well but the princesses are always safe in my hands.

Some days I still feel alone and wonder will my friends come to me, wanting to play. I do not mind when they are not there because life is so much happier now, now that I have found out who and what I am. I am a cardboard box I never was WMFG611P it was all too confusing back then. I now understand being a cardboard box is not that easy because you don't understand a lot of your potential most of the time. But with the right people and with love and care you can be anything you want to be if you are a cardboard box.

Edited by LancsLad

Episode 7 - The Penny.

I am just a penny, there are millions and millions just like me, but I'm different, I belong to someone.

This person carries me in their pocket and takes me to a zoo, they roll me between their fingers and I get warm.

It's dark and still in the pocket, but the fingers warm me at times and make me roll over, it tickles and I laugh a jingling metallic laugh cuz this is better than sitting in that box that dings and crashes - with all those bigger coins and paper laughing at me cuz they say I'm almost worthless, and the other pennies don't care - but I do.

But now I'm in a pocket and I can hear people and animals and I can feel those fingers twirling me round from time to time.

Then the fingers leave and I wonder where they've gone, but they come back, I'm not sure I like this dark world without them, what if I get put back in that angry box with the other coins? I don't want to go back in there with those other coins that were mean.

Then suddenly I'm pulled out and get put into a weird narrow cold place, a big coin gets put beside me and he laughs cuz he's bigger and when we go, he's going fast and I'm not. I'm scared as I disappear into the black, I hear the big coin roll away laughing, I hear him thud as he hits other coins and I laugh cuz I know he's in a box with others like him, and he'll be happy with that.

I'm going somewhere different, I get rolled and stretched, and I feel things sticking into me, I'm not sure I like this, but it doesn't hurt, I just wait til it's over, it seems to take forever, there's clunking and stretching and stamping and I feel so different now.

Then I fall down a chute and I drop into a small metal tray, and there's those fingers again, I'd recognise them anywhere, I see a face looking at me and smiling, I get thrust into another persons face and that person smiles too, although not quite so enthusiastically, that person is more smiling at the other person rather than me. But I don't care cuz I get put in that pocket and I get pulled into the palm of a hand, and I'm warm again, and I'm safe, because I'm different now, and I won't work in the angry cash box or the slot things, I'm for keeps.

I like sitting in the hand, warm and safe, although I sit on a desk for now so I don't get lost, but I know my life is different now and that I was meant for being more than a penny, so much more. And I got a new picture on my front and my old picture on my back, although the old picture is stretched and hard to see, I don't mind cuz the new one is clear as day. And I know someone else will smile at me one day, will hold me in their hand, roll me in their fingers, maybe they'll do something else to me, I don't mind, I know I am worth so much more than what I was before.

I thought you might reply to that :lol:

You got any better ideas lol? 7 episodes isn't a great amount.... I've already done 2 - it needs something funny, wicked, or interesting - even better if it's all 3!! :D

Nah, I don't do 'funny, wicked, or interesting', just tediously irrelevant. But, hey, if I ever have a 'eureka' moment, I'll stick it on here.

Oh dear... we gone back to self deprecation again?

Perhaps an example would be in order?

Thread worms... funny, interesting, wicked.

Death - made me laugh, was interesting looking at music, and you have a wicked sense of humour (wicked cool, not wicked evil) - although there's a bit of wickedness in a cool way lol

Music - same - whether theme music, adolescence music, or just music you listen to...

Course stuff - same deal Mannify, funny, interesting, intelligent yet accessible.

I think you're alright you know - maybe you should see yourself with my eyes and you might see something different to what you see... A bit like me with a mate of mine - he sees me as stuff I didn't see cuz I just thought really bad things about myself and maybe all of those bad things weren't accurate... I think some of them weren't but cuz of how a lot of people are they just convince us we are right - so maybe sometimes it needs someone else who can see beyond things and convince us we are wrong sometimes....

What's the point in doing courses and stuff to challenge yourself if you don't challenge yourself in other ways too?

Anyway, I for one will be interested if you write a funny, interestingly wicked story - or even if you write a tediously irrelevant one - what would you write if it was for your kids?

Not funny or wicked, but something I'd write for my kids.

Episode 8 - The snowman

I exist only as a result of a clash of warm and freezing cold.

People begin to wonder, to squint at the sky, uttering wisdoms inherited from their grandparents. There may be a snowflake here and a snowflake there, but more often the snowfall comes unheeded as people sleep, ready to surprise or dismay as they peer out the window.

I am conceived in that moment of wakeful realisation as children rush to get dressed, rush to greet the cold with the urgency that only that covering of white can bring.

I am formed as hands scoop, and pat, and build. Neighbours help and laugh and smile (ok, in terms of our street I’m actually using poetic license here) while children run about or shiver impatiently, not wanting to miss the final reveal. My face is negotiated, upgraded and perfected and people sacrifice their hats and scarves to me. People stand next to me. I'm not outstanding or or superlative, but people are proud. They take photos and I smile.

I smile as the children laugh and show off. I smile as adults scowl at the sky. I smile as dogs woof nervously and back away. I smile at the snowball fights, even the ones which find unanimously chosen targets. I smile as the snow falls and adds bulk to my stature. I smile as the grey sky turns blue, and leaves drip in the brightness.

Then, as the children feel dismay, and the adults smile in relief, I smile my wonky smile as I diminish under the glow of the winter sun. Gradually, gradually, I am lost to the ground and the air. Children mourn, and never truly forget.

But I’ll return. Next snowfall I’ll be taller, or shorter, or stouter. I may be a cat or a teddy bear, or even an igloo. But whatever my form, whatever my incarnation, I’ll be back.

Edited by Mannify

I thought that was wicked and interesting and I love the use of language in it, thank you for sharing it - I mean that, I really did like it, and you made someone smile which has to be a good thing in a day? :D

Looking forward to the first snow of the year.

I always try to make the first snow day a highlight of my year. There is a bridleway based on an old Roman road which runs across the tops of the moors near me which is a good 15km section, no roads, buildings very few trees, just open moorland. Whe the first snow comes I always try to be the first one across it on my mountain bike. I just love putting the tyre marks down in the snow mile after mile and then turning around and seeing how we can view the same very thing differently from another perspective. The lines I take on the return are often different. I have managed to make those marks the past two seasons hoping to repeat the day again this year.

Thanks for the Snowman story Mannify it brings back happy memories from the past and anticipation of some to come.

Whe the first snow comes I always try to be the first one across it on my mountain bike. I just love putting the tyre marks down in the snow mile after mile and then turning around and seeing how we can view the same very thing differently from another perspective.
That's a fab tradition. You'll have to post and let us know if it works out this year. When you're grown up you're meant to grumble about the snow, but I always love it - although the slushy part at the end is a bit rubbish.

Episode 9 - A window

I am a window, not made of a sheet of plastic or glass, I am just a hole in a wall, a gap in the solid, a place to let in light and air.

People look in me from outside and children creep inside and look out of me, if I were made of glass they might see their own reflections dancing in the light, but I am just an open space in a wall, the sun streams through me and the wind howls into me and rain pours into the gaps and water floods in.

One day other people arrive, they look at the building I am part of and they want to "do it up" I don't know what that means but I have a front row seat in this spectacle of a show as they clear rubble and dirt, as they walk the boundaries planning things and sharing ideas. I watch their excitement and worries, I listen to their plans and I don't know what they mean but I find myself happy, fearful excited and anxious, as the people feel those emotions. They measure everything and as someone approaches with me I worry that "measuring" will hurt, it doesn't and I soon forget my concerns.

Machinery arrives and starts ripping things apart and I am stuck, helpless, observing the chaos as my world gets turned upside down. Several weeks later I start to see a change, things are being built rather than destroyed, and a new world takes shape before my eyes, the place is transformed bit by bit and I start to feel I might have a place here as the crumbling brick is restored, and the building becomes a vision of light and space that seems so very different to what it was before.

One day a man arrives, he gives me a new frame, a new shape, he puts glass into me and the world takes on a new form, I remember all those years ago when I had glass, except that was dingy and dusty and this new glass is light, bright and warm. I watch the place fill with objects and items and it takes on a new life, a new meaning.

One day the people move in and I worry about my future again, but I soon find out, my future is to be the one who lets the light in, who keeps the world outside at bay while revealing it whenever anyone should wish to see. I show the world, and every morning the people get up and they look out of me, they give a contented sigh and smile everyday at their home and their world and the things they have achieved with it. They clean me and play games with each other pulling faces as one works outside and the other inside and I play piggy in the middle as they play, they wave to each other through me while one sits indoors and the other tends the garden.

And I get to share all of this, to keep their world safe, warm, dry, I share the hope, the light, the happy times, the sad times when they pensively stare through me because of the worries in their world, and I'm part of it yet separate, an observer of their lives, a part of their lives.

Episode 10 - The Table courtesy of The Beautiful South (Heaton/Rotheray)

This table has four sturdy legs

And a heart of very near wild oak

When others would have screamed out loud my friend

This one never even spoke

I've been sat upon, I've been spat upon

I've been treated like a bed

Been carried like a stretcher,

when someone thinks they're dead

I've been dined upon, I've been wined upon

I've been taken for a fool

Taken for a desk,

when they should have been at school

This table's been pushed against the door

When tempers, well tempers flare at night

Banged upon with knuckles clenched my friend

When someone thinks that they are right

Tables only turn when tables learn

Put me on a bonfire, watch me burn

Treat me with some dignity, don't treat me like a slave

Or I'll turn into the coffin in your grave

Edited by raydon

Whe the first snow comes I always try to be the first one across it on my mountain bike. I just love putting the tyre marks down in the snow mile after mile and then turning around and seeing how we can view the same very thing differently from another perspective. The lines I take on the return are often different. I have managed to make those marks the past two seasons hoping to repeat the day again this year.

Some parts of the country have had snow (not us). Have you been able to fulfil your first snow tradition yet?

No none here yet. There is a dusting on the Lake District and bits of the Pennines. Need a good 100mm to be laid down and at lower temperatures, has to have a 'crunch' about it not simply a 'splosh' for it to have an emotional resonance if that makes sense.

Best winter experience to date was being out a couple of days back. I was walking/jogging around a loop near my home. One section is the drive leading up to the city cremetorium and it has a good visual rhythm to it because of the various ornamental trees on either side of it. It is a few hundred metres long and a hail shower was on it half way down and my half was fine and a hundred yards away covered in hail and a veli of white coming down from a bright sunny sky.

Becasue I have this bug which is going around at the moment I had decided to walk my loop and so had on a very good rain suit costing a few hundred quid and a rain proof peaked cap and so elements are never a problem and I just had to run into it which was quite exhilerating up to the point I remebered I hadn't put any gloves on. And about a minute later it just stopped, the sun was there and the hail was reflecting it everywhere for a little while and I was kind of looking away because of the brightness until it quickly melted.

For me if you can get out in the right places every day then every now and again you get rewarded with a bit of magic in this instance it was pure theatre given its setting.

Thanks for sharing that. Winter can be so hard going, but you are right that it also affords such spectacles that are not available at other times of the year.

Yesterday was nothing special by way of fairly usual experiences of winter, but I found immense pleasure taking the dog for a walk in the bright winter sun and crunching through the vast ice-glazed puddles which spanned the field. It's an experience most people have of winter, and not particularly transcendent by many people's estimations, but I loved it, and it never fails to bring me pleasure :)

Episode 11 The christmas tree.

You pluck me form my roots, from where i was happy. You put me in your living rooms to dry out by your central heating, then you have children pulling at my brances. You cover me in tinsle and lights, and fake snow. You dangle candy canes, and shiny balls from my branches, all for one day. Come boxing day, you kick me to the curb.

I loved my life in the forest, now, i sit in a disposal unit, drying out, and covered with the rest of the used up trees.

No none here yet. There is a dusting on the Lake District and bits of the Pennines. Need a good 100mm to be laid down and at lower temperatures, has to have a 'crunch' about it not simply a 'splosh' for it to have an emotional resonance if that makes sense.

Best winter experience to date was being out a couple of days back. I was walking/jogging around a loop near my home. One section is the drive leading up to the city cremetorium and it has a good visual rhythm to it because of the various ornamental trees on either side of it. It is a few hundred metres long and a hail shower was on it half way down and my half was fine and a hundred yards away covered in hail and a veli of white coming down from a bright sunny sky.

Becasue I have this bug which is going around at the moment I had decided to walk my loop and so had on a very good rain suit costing a few hundred quid and a rain proof peaked cap and so elements are never a problem and I just had to run into it which was quite exhilerating up to the point I remebered I hadn't put any gloves on. And about a minute later it just stopped, the sun was there and the hail was reflecting it everywhere for a little while and I was kind of looking away because of the brightness until it quickly melted.

For me if you can get out in the right places every day then every now and again you get rewarded with a bit of magic in this instance it was pure theatre given its setting.

Winter for me in my youth was the Lake District and the Pennines and Snowdonia all roughly equidistant from where I used to live and when fuel was cheaper every weekend on the mountains or in the mud in the case of the Pennines. But even in our mild winters snow usually started at the two thousand metres mark and it was fun, ice axe practice skidding down safe slopes and using the axe to steer and stop. And what photography on the tops, clear and bright where sometimes Ireland could be seen from certain peaks in the LD, where one always came back with a reddened face-too much sun.

There was also a time we deed snow holing on the side of Yr Lliwedd in Snowdonia, get up there in late afternoon, find a hefty drift and start burrowing, the hole was quite liveable and good knowledge if one ever got stuck in the snow. The funny one with that trip was a friend saying as we sat outside our hole with hip flasks, was; '' 'ere, I wonder if my car alarm transmitter will reach from here'', as we looked down the valley to where the cars were parked where we could just make out the bright orange Miriafiori Sport, he pressed the button and we saw it, the indicators flash amber twice indicating the alarm was off, but subsequent pressing did not re arm the alarm, ''oo eck'' he says.

But that was a long time ago in my youth and I don't do mountaineering anymore and snow, it looks nice on xmas cards.

Episode 12 - Ink

I spill, stain, ruin, damage, and in the right hands can create something special, words, images, ideas, patterns, I can come alive on a page and am both permanent and not for you can throw a page away and I am gone, burn the paper I mate with and I no longer exist.