Sa Skimrande

Grinding Teeth

Okay, who grinds their teeth ?

I do and have always done, I did think I had got rid of it with certain anxiety medications but it wasn't so as I was told the grinding could be heard from outside the room and as a result of the grinding, my teeth are razor sharp, I have been told that as well and I do have bits of teeth sometimes in my spittle. Now I have tried the gum guards for sleeping and bit my way through them, they are a consumable item.

I learned that a lot of it is caused by spasm in the jaw and leaned that a botox injection in the jaw muscles will relax this spasm leading to less grinding, but the med services won't do it and push me in the direction of gum guards which I grind through in a very short period of time, so am basically stuck with it.

As a result the teeth are crooked and as mentioned sharp, I cut my tongue on them sometimes and the gums are receding as a result, but sharp teeth they have a use at least, for I have found I don't need a wire stripper when I am doing electrical work- hardly good but needs must sometimes.

But who grinds their teeth ?

I do and I have a guard (properly made via the dentist) which I find OK. I did quite a lot of damage to my teeth in a short time before this.

My youngest son does too, and he has also managed to chew his way through his guard in only a few months! I don't know what the dentist will recommend when he goes back.

I don't grind my teeth (as it's one of the many noises that makes me screw my fists up and shudder) but I clench my jaw and sort of bite down really hard, a LOT. I hate it and have to stop myself doing it (I have a phobia of the dentist and I'm worried my teeth will suffer).

My fiancé used to grind his teeth in his sleep, but he's not doing it so much now (he's also an Aspie).

I grind my teeth in my sleep...but I thought teeth grinding was due mainly to stress but since I have found out this is another stimming "thing". But then, why does one do it in their sleep? Unless one is having a bad dream?

Apparently I grind my teeth in my sleep. I guess the proof was when I had to go to the dentist as I'd somehow chipped my front tooth, had no idea why. She got me to line my teeth up and told me it was definitely because I grind them. I've never found any other problems with my teeth apart from that though so I've been very lucky it seems. Given my phobia of the dentist I'd say it's a VERY lucky thing!

I would have thought that if people are getting through the guards there'd be more offered... how bizarre.

Robert - Maybe it's just not a very relaxed sleep?

Edited by oakers

Robert - Maybe it's just not a very relaxed sleep?

Oakers...perhaps you're right. I don't often get a good night's sleep and no matter what time I go to bed (whether it be midnight, 10pm or even 8pm(!)), I still wake up unrested in the morning. And I definately know when I've ground my teeth as I have jaw-ache.

I grind mine too in my sleep. Luckily mine aren't sharp as a result, mine have been flattened off and worn down. They get sensitive but no other real problems. Never knew about guards. I get the jaw ache in the mornings too Robert!

when went to see nurse at adult MHT the other day she picked up on physical anxiety reaction i bite /chew my lip when nervous,stressed ,worried when in anxious state of mind she was asking due to an OCD type behaviour pattern it is interesting i knew i did this as SEN teacher at secondary school picked up on it before so it not first time it be seen /noticed obviously!

XKLX

I clench badly....and because my right side meets first, I have a problem with my right sinus where I have compressed it over the years I think. This mostly happens in my sleep, and worse when I'm anxious about something......which seems to be an awful lot! But I do it when awake too.....on the odd occasion that I realise I'm doing it, I try to stop....but within a few moments I'm clenching again.....impossible to stop myself really......have been thinking about a guard from the dentist for nights...but I cannot bear anything strange in my mouth...so catch 22 situation. I can live with it though, as it's been so long now that I'm used to it!