Alex_a_scholar

My doctor was rude to me.

I had a visit with my doctor and she basically told me that I have no reason to be here as the fluoxetine takes longer than 3 weeks to take effect. She then brought-up a list of appointments I had missed on the computer and basically reprimanded me.

She did ask whether I have had any troubling/worrying thoughts and I told her no, although I have been having thoughts of violence towards myself and others. These thoughts lasted for about 3 days and have now abated. I would never have carried the thoughts out, they were just more comforting than reality at the time.

I find it impossible to talk in this manner in person; I am considering sending her a letter to tell her that I didn't purposely waste her time, it's just that my asperger's syndrome got in the way of me telling her what I needed to.

Edited by matzoball

Post has been edited due to forum guidelines.

Any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.'

It's quite O.K. Matzoball; that will not be necessary.

You also took down the part about shooting somebody in the head. Is that in the guidelines to be removed?

Edited by trekster

Yes, I have experienced ;

it's just that my asperger's syndrome got in the way of me telling her what I needed to.

It got to the point I was considering not bothering with the GP because I always left there feeling as if I had been short changed until I had an idea and it worked. What I did was when I made the appointment was to write down why I had made the appointment and in the weeks leading up to the appointment as it is usually about three weeks or near to, I add to my reason for wanting to see the GP, I add, and remove over a few weeks there allowing moods and emotions to cycle and then I type it out, print it and take it to my GP, hand it to them and ask them to read it, where it always says at the bottom; Now you may ask questions.

My last GP was impressed with this approach and said if all his patients did this it would make his job a lot easier and as a result patients would get better treated. I said I had to do it, because I was losing interest because I never can communicate my needs in the five minutes I am allocated, because I guess I am stressed by being here and stressed because time is running out.

But you are saying you are thinking of writing a letter to the GP, my advice, do so as you are not going to establish useful communication unless your doctor realises you have a problem and they will only know if you tell them and there they could adjust their approach accordingly, that is, if they are not too aloof to care and there are some out there that think they are God.

I find this is the case too did u inform the doctor of your alcohol intake lately or was that issue that 'got in the way' I find same issue that either AS barrier gets in the way of telling others "things" or my mental health issues one or the other! She instinctively already know you're not "time-waster" case and your current needs AS or mental health need to be looked into further "treated" hope you get'sorted'

Alex there are key references and words which cause moderators to jump, if you are wise you will search out those key references and words to avoid well, this. You can find them in the rules and it will need a bit of reading between the lines which is incidentally something a lot of aspies aren't good at ?

And there coud be the cause of the problems we experience, aspies aren't good at reading between the lines, but what aspies are good at is literal interpretations.......

No trouble here.

I do think that Sa Skimrade is right in that you need to talk about what is going on in your head to your doctor. The letter thing might be worthwhile, perhaps write out how you feel, and take that with you for them to read. That way you can 'say' what you need to, get the help that you need to, and still feel comfortable.

Alex

Do you have to see this particular GP or do you think it would be helpful to ask for another GP next time. I can request particular GP's at my surgery as there are certain one's I prefer. I can even ask for certain GP's who I like taking my children to see who are up to speed with their problems and other GP'ds who I like for my own issues. Can you do this? They might have a different attitude to this GP or you might warm to them better.

Did they give you any indication of how much longer it will take until the medication takes effect? I know that generally speaking it is 3 weeks so I would expect that you should see some improvement in your mood soon. If not, the dosage may need increased but you would probably have to wait a bit longer until you could get an increase.

Lynda :)

I'm still not back on medication due to "emergency crisis situation" but I will discuss this matter further with well -being team at the docs on monday morning! As scared worried ill be tempted to "go back there" XKLX

I got so fed up with my GP that I registered with another practice, this one is more patient and understanding.

I had a visit with my doctor and she basically told me that I have no reason to be here as the fluoxetine takes longer than 3 weeks to take effect. She then brought-up a list of appointments I had missed on the computer and basically reprimanded me.

She did ask whether I have had any troubling/worrying thoughts and I told her no, although I have been having thoughts of violence towards myself and others. These thoughts lasted for about 3 days and have now abated. I would never have carried the thoughts out, they were just more comforting than reality at the time.

I find it impossible to talk in this manner in person; I am considering sending her a letter to tell her that I didn't purposely waste her time, it's just that my asperger's syndrome got in the way of me telling her what I needed to.

I have always found doctors to be condescending and patronizing to be honest. This is what totally put's me off going to them a lot of the time.

I am 19 but last year when I was 18 (Still far from a child) my mother took me and my sister to a Homeopathic Doctor. Me and my sister both have Aspergers but we weren't actually diagnosed yet when this happened.

We saw her the first time & She praised me and said I came across as very articulate and intelligent for my age during the interview. The second time we went seemed to go pretty normal as well but after sitting in the 'waiting room' and coming back inside her demeanor totally changed.

She started to our shock yelling at me & my sister and using uncouth language and just having a very unprofessional demeanor. She said something like 'Your Not Babies get off Your Asses' - Then she directed it towards me and I was just contradicting her and disagreeing - And then she told me to 'Shut Up'. We hung around for 15 minutes more and she never apologized for speaking like that to me and acted like nothing happened.

I felt very angry & hurt. When I got home I sent her an Email saying she should question what profession she's in as she clearly doesn't know what she's on about. I sent it but I still found no solace really - Like with many other times things like this have happened like with teachers at school I wish I had said there and then to her what I felt - But i'm just not that type of person.

It still angers me now thinking about it. Like many others things really.

i would complain to the association of homeopaths

i would complain to the association of homeopaths

I never knew there was an association of Homeopaths. If there is it's definitely something I should have considered at the time. It's been around 9 to 10 months now though (Nearly a year) although it feels less.

It's just one of those things which I suppress and don't think about it just like when teachers unnecessarily chastised me or yelled at me in schools just because they were stressed out with their job. It's one of those things that if I reflect on it just makes me blood boil to be honest.

It seems the more quiet, well mannered, respectful you are - The more stick you get from people.