cathcart3303

Asperger/Autism: DVLA Assessment prior to learning to Drive

I attended a transition day for ASD on Tuesday. I was not aware that if my son wants to learn to drive he must be assessed due to ASD otherwise may be subject to a £2000 fine.

Were other people aware of this? :bounce:

wow no?

My daughters friend recently passed her test and now drives and she was never assessed!

Her instructor knew of her HFA though.

When I was applying for my provisional driving license, I put on the form that I have Aspergers and Dyspraxia and they never told me I would need an assessment - but this was in 2009, so maybe this is a recent thing?

Thanks Kazzen.

Not so clear cut then as left to individual to decide whether ASD affects driving.

I think it would be better to get a letter from GP to say okay to drive otherwise this could be denied later on.

I did declare my disabilities on the form under 'any other neurological condition'.

I've been driving for a year and just said I have no condition that is likely to affect my driving ability, to be honest I can't see how ASD affects driving.

it is a simple manual task with clear cut rules and priorities (for me).

I find it easier to work out peoples intentions in a car than in any social situation,