Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

blue badge application anger

I have just received the renewal form for my sons Blue Badge.

It contained the following footnote...

People with psychological disorders or learning difficulties for example Downs Syndrome, behavioural problems e.g. autism, will not normally qualify unless their impairment causes very considerable, and not intermittent difficulty in walking.

I feel very angry that my local council (Hampshire) is moving the goalposts and discriminating against specific disabilities.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with their local council?

Lorry,

Not sure, but I think your local authority is acting unlawfully. It might be worth having a word with the NAS or DRC- The Disability Rights Commission: http://www.drc-gb.org/index.asp

Information on the Blue Badge and a link to the NAS for anyone interested.

The Blue Badge Scheme: (formerly known as the Orange Badge Scheme) is designed to allow people with disabilities to park close to shops or other places that they need to visit. An application form and explanatory leaflet about the scheme is available from your local social services department. http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=300&a=3237

Thanks for the information Nellie, I will investigate further.

Im cheesed off with the high handed attitude of the so called establishment. We have to jump through so many hoops for everything.

Loraine

I live in Hampshire too and their ways were revealed to me when I went to the Nuffield Centre in London last week for a speech sound assessment for my AS son

It took me a year of hassle to get the referral which i explained during the appointment

She was shocked to hear this & asked where I came from & I said Hampshire :(

She then said well then there you go its no suprise it took you a year to get here and that you cant even get your son assessed for his SEN.

They are the most notorius county around for their tight purse strings. :angry:

So there you go.

If you live in Hampshire you are doomed for a life of tribunals and hassle. Its automatic. :angry::angry:

My SEN officer at the LEA even admitted that the letter that was sent that refused to assess his SEN was a 'standard letter sent to all parents'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

And they've had to delay our tribunal hearing TWICE because they are up to their eyeballs in tribunals!

But its not all gloom and doom.

check out the support you can get as a carer:

http://www.carercentre.com/

The Hampshire service for carers is BRILLIANT

Had my carers assessment this morning & they are going to fill in all my forms for DLA etc for me and will go to tribunal if it is refused.

They will support me at SENDIST tribunal and attend all school reviews.

There is a silver lining on one of the clouds in Hampshire if you know where to look!!!!!!!!!

L

xxx :thumbs:

Edited by nellie

Ive contacted the Disability Rights Commission with my concerns and Ill let you know their reply.

Interesting to read that Hampshire are well known as a bunch of tight wads. Social Services also seems to be badly underfunded, it makes me so angry.

Loraine

The Carer Centre sounds good, but is not much help to us who live in the NE of Hants. Many services are focused around Portsmouth and Southampton - we have no chance in the "black-hole" of the NE of Hants. Even HAS does not want to know. We use the Surrey NAS instead.

SS in Hants get very little money cos we are supposedly well-off!

Karen

Karen,

Thats maddening isn't it

We are in NW Hants so not covered by Southampton either but they've been brilliant

I'm sure the Carer Service is national - try clicking on the Princess Royal Trust logo?

I tried complaining to the government ombudsman about the outright lies and fantasies made up by Hants LEA but because the debate over whether J does or doesn't have SEN hasn't been resolved at tribunal yet he can't do anything

They have disregarded the professional dx cos it was independent, blocked our access to services that can help us, told lies and made up false evidence in their case statement, altered the emphasis of comments made at the reviews in the way the minutes have been written, refused to answer our questions, delayed everything they can delay, added EP comments (that were not accurate) to our application form for statutory assessment AFTER we signed it AND DIDNT EVEN TELL US, etc...etc...etc...

:angry::wallbash::angry::wallbash::angry::wallbash::angry:

L

xxx

Edited by Lesley