Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Brilliant Park

Hi Carole,

this sounds great ! someone recommended we go and see the fountains (another obsession)in Alnwick gardens, but this sounds better.

Hopefully we'll get our intended weekend in northumberland at some point this hol, might even get to both places !

wac

Alnwick Gardens is very nice but also very expensive as we found out, �6 per aadult but children are free. the tree house is amazing but I wouldn't dare eat in the restaurant, cost a fortune, packed lunches for definate :thumbs:

Sorry silly me you said its in Blyth, just found it on the net :oops: was there a charge on entering the park or is it my favourite type ? (free)

Edited by lil_me

Hi Carole

We're from Yorkshire and for the last 2 years have taken our kids to Northumberland for our summer holidays. We actually stumbled across the park you mention by accident too when we were driving home from the sea life centre in Tynemouth which my NT daughter (6) loved but my autistic son (5) didn't - he prefers outdoors to in!

You are right it is a fantastic free park- the play equipment was brilliant too and both my kids loved it. We were so impressed that I wanted to write into my local paper to point it out as a model for good parks for kids that could be implemented nationwide. If it had had some wheelchair friendly roundabouts and swings it would have been perfect. I loved the way the play areas were enclosed and that they had smaller versions of the bigger roundabouts for the younger kids. The kids were having so much fun in the water fountains it was lovely to watch.

Well worth a visit :thumbs:

We have found a wonderful park in a place called Blyth, which is not a million miles away from where we live in Sunderland. This park (Ridley) has the most amazing water feature - which reminds me of the dancing waters in Spain - but it is actually a water feature for kids to play in. We found this park by accident when we were on a Tall Ship hunt a few weeks ago and promised Matthew that we would return. We did so today and Matthew spent two very happy hours playing in the water feature. The kids were playing in the middle of a Rainbow created by the spraying water and the sun shine. It was quite sureal. It is a series of water fountains and sprays which means the children need swimming clothes, but the fun value is far better than the swimming baths and the beach put together. Well it was from where I was sitting watching. It is also a non slip surface and there were no accidents.

I know that it is only of interest to members here who live in the North East but I think that it is well worth a visit. (Some of you probably know the park already) As well as the water feature there are several play areas to chose from and all have been really well thought out. The twice that we have been there has been several security staff visible so there were no yobs hanging around.

Carole

Picadilly Gardens in Manchester has the same type of feature. :D

we have a small version of that in our local park, our kids love it. B)

We went to Chatsworth gardens yesterday, had only been in the autumn before so was totally unprepared. (typical me :wub: )

Kids got absolutely soaked under the magic willow tree, and then playing in the cascade. They had a great time, until it was time to go home :(:(

So we had three wet kids sat in the back, cheered em up offering snacks. I gave them each a small tub of cream cheese that I'd filled at home (99p for lots of small sizes from morrisons) and a large packet of breadsticks. Peace for nearly 40 mins, that's a record in car time in our family !

Next time we'll go prepared, or leave it until the xmas decs are up and snow hopefully.

Can recommend the gardens if your children are into water features, they also have a lovely sensory garden where we did lots of sniffing B)B)B)

wac

I know i sound thick lol, but wheres Chatsworth? :blink:

Sorry,twas me being thick (or stunned by the day out !)

It's a stately home in Derbyshire,can't tell you where exactly,think near Bakewell. I never get to see the road ahead cos I'm too busy looking what's going on in the back.

I wasn't driving of course !!

wac

Edited by waccoe

we have something simular in abingdon and it has a play park and gardens you can look around aswell the kids love it the only problem is that it can get very busy