Sign in to follow this  
pingu

Constant Questioning

>:D<<'> Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I thought i would just escape for 5 minutes while the kids are drawing in the other room. My head is so full i can't take another question.

I dont know if any one else has this 'problem' but its just dawned on me that the only time Kieran (6 yrs old AS) actually speaks is when he is asking a question. Moreso over the last week. Last night he was hyper before bed and it was during this time that it finally dawned on me about what was happenening. The conversation went.

:) ME: Kieran time for bed, dad will be home soon (other half out salvaging whats left of our 'social life' )

:devil: HIM: Can i have one more spin of my bathplug / ive got new games, i have to go to the bunker and kill the bad guy, then set off the alarm and go to the rocket (james bond)

:huh: ME: Ok (its no use in arguing, it just takes longer)

:whistle: 15 minutes later

:D ME: Right K its time to do your teeth

:) HIM: What happens if you dont do your teeth

:( ME: They will go bad and hurt

:P HIM: Jaws has gold teeth

:pray: ME: Jaws is an actor

:) HIM: Am i an actor?

:shame: ME: No you're Kieran,

:tearful: We finally get his teeth done. (After more questions about time/t.v's/more james bond and barbeques been a cuisine)

Looking at my non existant watch i explain that daddy will be home soon, and he must go to bed.

HIM: Can i have one of them (pointing to my arm)

ME: one of what? (looking at my arm)

HIM: A watch like the one you've got on !

ME: I havent got one on !

:angry: HIM: Why do you keep looking at your arm and saying daddy will be home soon then? (followed by a meltdown brought on by this misunderstanding)

Finally asleep after much firm rubbing of back !! Or so i thought !!

Just as im about to leave the room..........

HIM: What happens if you leave the telly on and im asleep?

ME: Nothing

HIM: will it wake me up?

ME: No. Im going to turn it off anyway as soon as i can get down there

HIM: But what happens if you're up here and the programme finishes will it buzz then?

After another half hour i persuade him as always that the tv cannot harm him in any way at all. And he finally fell asleep mid sentance (yet again about having a watch) :wallbash:

I come down switch off tv, and give up on putting my feet up as its too late and i head off to bed. :angry:

And it takes till now to realise that all he ever does is ask questions !! wow hes full of What if? what will happen? what will it do etc etc.

The only other thing he says is "i need a drink" "Need something to eat" But no conversation. UNLESS he is asking a question then you cant shut him up. Does anyone else have this behaviour?

Forgive me im still learning. :fight:

Anyway i hope you are all ok.

Take care

Shaz

x

PS I wont even begin to explain about the park which we visited, but lets just say he still needs work on his social skills. !!

x

Hi Shaz,

'all what you have said sounds very familiar',

My son is constantly questioning, and quite often the same question over and over, and if you deviate at all in the answer he becomes quite stressed.

He is very verbal, but it is mainly one-sided, he talks about starwars, power rangers,

cartoon network and lots more.

If he has asked me the same question over and over, I do end up saying 'right this is the last time today that I'm going to answer that', but if it's a new question then I do answer, as sometimes I think he does take in what I am saying :blink:

I know somedays it can be quite draining, especially when you are in the middle of doing something that requires your whole attention, but I think that this is my sons way of communicating, even if it is so one-sided :rolleyes:

I have actually tried to sit him down and I've said 'right now lets take turns in choosing what we talk about', I chose a flower, I talked about the stem and petals, and encouraged him by asking what colour the petals were, this was going really well, then all of a sudden he said 'why do the power rangers have different colour suits' he then started to shout 'I want to be a red ranger and do backflips in the street', I added the fuel by saying, 'you cant you would hurt yourself', then all hell broke loose, he ran round the house cursing the red ranger. :o

Brook

I am 42, and I think I recognize what you write very well, because I think I also behave rather similarly, today! When bed-time comes, I want to prolong conversation with my mother, because I don't want to leave her for the day. I have separation anxiety.

I can also relate;my son is always asking questions.I think that they are for reassurance(when they are things that he knows the answer to) and to make connections (and sense of the world around him) when they are new questions.

I like the thought of saying that it is the last time today that you will answer the (repetitive) question;will try that one myself.xx

:( ,My son engages these types of conversation at bedtime.He always asks me to come up and talk as he is worried.Then he proceeds to talk about everything that day that has worried/concerned/confused him. Very often it can be world peace, /Israel/palastine, G8, bullying at school, makepovertyhistory campaign.Not subjects that are quick subjects to talk about :wacko: .I find I have to do by best to reassure him.Then lie next to him till he,s calm and let him fall asleep.He is 10 and this is getting worse :( , he also cries in his sleep and sleepwalks.

At bed-time, at 00:00, almost every evening I have to be reassured by my mother that I haven't done or said anything wrong or anything that could possibly have hurt her throughout the day.

I addition, I say Good night 50 times....

Edited by andrwg

Hi,

Kai is also always asking questions. Whatever answer i give, he always follows with another "but what if.....?". It will end up with the but-what-if scenario becoming compltely unrealistic and silly, so i just say, "Well, that would never happen, so end of!". He STILL goes on and on!

There's another thread somewhere about this subject, but i'm no good at links!

I'm sure NT kids do this too, but AS kids are more persistent.

Loulou x

:lol: Just reading that whats your name thread, my NT (so far) 4 year old does that and it can be embarrassing

First question he asks 'Whats your name?' Next its 'Where do you live?' Next its 'Whats your dog called?' (he thinks everyone has a dog because we do :rolleyes: )

If someones doing something he then asks 'What you doing?' Then the worst bit which is constant 'Why?' afterwards :wallbash:

Maybe this is why the Ed Psychologist wants to see him again :unsure:

My other boy (ADHD,ASD so far) has constant questions, but also he has an answer for everything, he could write an excuse book.

OMG!! You could have written that about my son and changed Keiren's name to Tyler's and it would have all been accurate, other than adding 'Why???' questions into that list! LOL

You are not alone. I can#'t have a conversation with my 6yr old at all, everything that comes out of his mouth is questions. Try and get a convo out of him and he totally shuts up and resorts back to the confort of his question asking. (eg, Tyler, what did you do in school today?? Tyler - 'I don't know', Tyler - What did you do when I was in school?'). I have to answer his questions but every question I ask him either results in him answering with a 'I don't know' or a 'Why' question which drives me mad!!! :angry: LOL

I cannot tell you how many friends I have lost in the past because of my persistent need to question. I was booted off of a forum on the 'net for my constant questioning. It's very much a part of my life and I suppose it always will be.