Sign in to follow this  
scojos

the one thing you should know...

:wallbash:

hi my name is tracy and just wanted to talk to someone who understands. my eldest at 8 was diagnsed with hyperactivity about 2 years ago, but due to a strict diet and lots of hard work we have calmed him down enough to recently have him removed from the sen register, hurray!!

however my youngest son josh is six and has several medical condidions, primarily he s a brittle asthmatic, which finally we seem to have under control after nearly 5 years (he was nearly one when he was diagnosed). He is also an insomniac and has attended sleep clinics the works including seeing camhs since he was about 2... It goes on, he has speech problems and sees a therapist weekly, can have violent outbursts and reacts very badly to changes around, picky eater... shall i go on?

yes, well im sure you recognise the sytoms but no one around here did into speaking to a friend of a friend whos son has v similar symptoms, but he has a daignosis and thus support...

so what i would like from you lovely people out there is the one piece of information that you wish someone had given you for dealing with a "special" child.

im not unfamiliar with autism, as a teacher we have several autisitc children in our mainstream school, but its easier than dealing everyday...

i really really would appreciate some feedback, so in advance, thankyou

t

everyday, do what you can, with what you ve got

First off welcome Tracy

What do your instincts say ? could this be it ?

In trouth no one can give you a diagnosis over the internet, and nor should they atempt to do so. However reading into what you say, at this stage nothing can be ruled out.

Tony Attwood, PhD has a questionair desighed for parents and profesionals;

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/asperg...aleAttwood.html

My advice would be to have a go at that quiz and see what the results show. whilst in it's self the test is not a diagnosis, it will give you and indication as to eweather of not to persue this futher. It will also give you a talking point when you speak to and doctors.

let us know how you get on

J

Hi Tracy,

Welcome to the forum >:D<<'>

Sorry, but I've got more than 1 piece of info that I would give :)

For your child

- Keep a routine - any deviation can cause havoc.

- don't take the things that they say or do personally.

For parents

- trust your instincts, you know your child better than anyone.

- take each day as it comes.

When dealing with school/LEA

- You don't have to take no for an answer.

- get yourself a copy of the SEN Code of Practice.

- put everything in writing, also, get everything in writing where possible.

- keep IPSEA's number within reach, you never know when you will need it.

All of the above have helped us ;)

Annie

>:D<<'>

Hi

If you suspect Asperger's then I'll pass on a few thoughts:

Relax your expectations - he will not be able to behave as other children do, so don't beat yourself (or him) up if he's not behaving to the same standards

Give one clear instruction at a time

Count to ten - he could need extra time to understand the things you say

Routines and careful preparation for change are essential

Elanor

Sorry scojos not exactly sure what you're asking - but advice I wish I'd been given about a 'special child'? Well that list would be pretty long but I guess would vary according to each individual, what springs to mind (and I hope this isn't too cheesy or offensive) is it's not your fault!

Take care -if you post again and be a bit more specific I'm sure you'll get great advice here - luv witsend.