Sign in to follow this  
joshanddanfans

asd documentaries

dont know if anyone already aware but mon,tues,wed,frid, there are 5 asd programmes on teachers tv channel on sky.12.30pm and 9p.m ish

19th september- mon

-------------------------

12.30pm/9pm- "imagination on the autistic spectrum"

10.00pm- "Titos story"

20th september -tues

-------------------------

12.30p.m - "being different is cool-autistic spectrum disorder"

21st september-wed

------------------------

10.00p.m -"A stranger in the family"

23rd september -fri

-----------------------

10.00p.m -"I want my little boy back"

hope this is of use to anyone,alex xxxxxx :devil:

Guess I was right that a whole lot of Autism programs will be on this week as it coincides with 'Autism Day' on the 25th Spetember!!!

I've seen a few of em but will watch em all anyway. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbs:

Isn't the Teachers Channel cool! And I'm not even a teacher.

I watched "Tito's story" last night which was so heartwarming, and did you notice the eye contact? It was excellent for such a severe autistic and those poems he writes, especially the one about kind hearted people having the space to let sorrow into their lives - they were so moving I'm welling up right now.

I've seen "I want my little boy back" before. A hard one for the parents that one but it worked wonders I was especially impressed by the explanation that playing with the boy (Jamie was it? Been a while since I've seen that one) had to be done at his pace or he would just get confused. His siblings adjusted so well to his change.

Will try to catch the "Being different is cool" some other time as it's not the right time for me and I might tape it for Martin too.

Daisy

Total programme listing for Teachers TV....

The programmes are:

Imagination on the autistic spectrum

The programme shows how a Creative Partnerships project allows Rosehill Special School in Nottingham to work on a range of arts projects with pupils on the autistic spectrum.

Pupils at Rosehill Special School have developed levels of creative and imaginative skills not often associated with those on the autistic spectrum. A converted classroom forms an open art space where students explore imaginative activity in dance, painting and model-making. The school is one of the few state schools catering specifically for primary and secondary pupils on the autistic spectrum.

Kayleigh, a former student, reveals how lessons in digital photography, with teaching assistant Maggie Saunders, helped her realise her dream of gaining a place to study photography at college. We also see how each morning, deputy head Andy Sloan encourages pupils to rev up by running in the hall, in what he calls the "brain gym".

Monday 19 September at 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 6.30pm, 9.00pm, 11.00pm

Tuesday 20 September at 5.00am, 10.00pm

Wednesday 21 September at 12.00am

Saturday 24 September at 8.00pm

'Being different may be cool' - On the autistic spectrum

This programme presents an honest account of life with autism from the perspective of Luke, Joe and Ben Jackson, all of whom have the disorder.

Tuesday 20 September at 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 6.30pm, 9.00pm, 11.00pm

Wednesday 21 September at 5.00am

Thursday 22 September at 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 6.30pm, 10.00pm

Friday 23 September at 12.00am

Saturday 24 September at 8.30pm

Sunday 25 September at 11.30pm

Blogosphere

Britain's new technology evangelist Stephen O'Hear investigates Britain's school bloggers. Highlighting the work of West Blatchington School in Hove, the programme highlights the innovative use of weblogs at the school where teachers, students and even the head are dedicated 'bloggers'.

Steve visits the school's after-school blogging club, a special bloggers' assembly and sees weblogs being used in the school's autistic unit and discovers that blogging can help in literacy, ICT skills and a range of other subjects. Many of the benefits extend beyond the curriculum: Blogging can help pupils develop confidence, improve their self expression and get a real sense of fulfilment from publishing their work

Tuesday 20 September at 12.00pm, 1.00pm, 6.00pm, 9.30pm

Wednesday 21 September at 5.30am

Thursday 22 September at 1.15pm, 6.15pm, 9.45pm

Friday 23 September at 5.45am

Sunday 25 September at 11.00pm

Tito's story

Eleven-year-old Tito from Bangalore, South India, is severely autistic, but he is deeply philosophical with a profound comprehension of his own condition. Insightful and often humorous, he reveals exactly what it means to be autistic, and in doing so challenges the orthodox thinking about autism.

Tito, accompanied by his mother, Somo, came to London for assessment. Many doubted his abilities and even suggested that he was at the centre of an elaborate hoax. What did the experts really think? Will his uncontrollable behaviour let him down?

Monday 19 September at 10.00pm

Tuesday 20 September at 12.00am

Saturday 24 September at 9.00pm

Sunday 25 September at 10.00pm

The foolish wise ones

Classic BBC Horizon that provides an astonishing look at the savant syndrome. The programme looks at the extraordinary talents of three people with autism including Stephen Wiltshire, the boy who draws buildings in minute detail from memory, and Noel Patterson, who can reproduce any piece of music on the piano by ear.

Tuesday 20 September at 10.30pm

Wednesday 21 September at 12.30am

Thursday 22 September at 10.30pm

Friday 23 September at 12.30am

I want my little boy back

Jordan is five years old and has autism. At home, Jordan would require residential care, but his parents sought alternative treatment in the USA. Jordan is put through the Option Process in Boston, America, which involves the parent and child working intensely together in one room for 12 hours a day. The results are astounding.

Friday 23 September at 10.00pm

Saturday 24 September at 12.00am

A stranger in the family

It has only been in recent years that progressive treatments have been explored and some startling breakthroughs made by the children who respond to these therapies.

'Stranger in the family' looks at the efforts made at a special school in Sydney called Giant Steps. Based on a Canadian model, the school was set up and is maintained by the parents of the students who attend. The film shares the lives of three dedicated families for a year as they come to terms with autism and strive to help their children make a breakthrough that will give them hope for the future. We see the methods of the school, the hopes of the students and the parents who have a daily battle with this lifelong developmental disability.

Wednesday 21 September at 10.00pm

Thursday 22 September at 12.00am

Saturday September at 10.00pm

Visit the Teachers' TV website to watch programmes online, take part in forum discussions and find out more.

I've just watched the one called 'the foolish wise ones', it was amazing watching that young man that listened to pieces of piano music then was able to play it straightaway :blink:

And the young man who could work out from any date given what the actual day is/was.

Also the young boy who could draw buildings just by looking at them for a short while and with such detail.

I sat in awe watching this :wacko:

Brook

I've just registered on the Teachers TV website so I can downoad these programmes as I always miss them, few of them are not available to download so I'll try to remember to set the timer tomorrow, I must get Sky+ when I can afford it

Edited by lil_me

Watched Tito's story and a few others, how amazing is Tito, his view on his Autism, what an amazing little guy and such a determined Mum

Missed all the screenings of 'The foolish wise ones' hopefully they'll show it again

Edited by lil_me