Sign in to follow this  
kaz

Quick update on how Dan's is doing

Hi all,

Sorry its been so long since i have posted anything but i do think of you all and pop in every now and again. I will never forget just how much help you where to me when i needed it most.

Daniel is doing great he has settled in to the new home (not that new been here over a year now) and is doing well in school.

I think i might finally have found a school that tries to help, when i went to his review meeting the first words they said where "this is to find out what will help Daniel" and i nearly died with shock. They suggested things that i would never have thought of. Like letting him go for a walk in the woodland in the school grounds between exams to let him let of steam and calm down if he needed that.

He even got great results in his year 9 stats!!!!! and is now going to college one day a week to do a BTec catering course, as everyone agreed that asking him to do to many GCSE would just end up with everyone upset and stressed.

Daniel himself he doing so much better, we have changed his diet which has been a great help........ i still can't get over how well he is doing with that, if anyone offers him something he can't have like (coke or chocolate) he says "no it makes me hyper and i can't have it." He would never have done that a few years ago. I still have him on the eye q's and they have made a diffrence to. Kept him off the retalin anyway.

We have more good days than bad days now which is something that i would never have thought could happen, even my family have noticed a big difference in him and are now offering to have him to stay, something that never happened when he was small.

I think the move has done us all good, we have very set rules and that makes life easier for him i think. He knows where he is all the time and what he must do. ( not that he does not try and push those rules all the time)

Still trying to cope with the teenage bit though......... its hard at times to figure out whats aspergers and what being a typical teenager. " I remember a quote i read here when i first started coming here "A aspergers teenager is like world war three in your home" lol i now fully understand that comment.

Once more thanks for all your help and advice over the years, this is the site i send anyone to that has a child with Autisum as i know they will get the help support and advice they need.

HUgs to everyone

Karen xxx

Karen,

Many thanks for the update, it's great to hear that things are more settled. It's such a difference when the school are understanding and supportive.

A big :thumbs: to Daniel, he has worked hard. :clap:

Hope things continue to go from strength to strength and keep in touch!

Love

Nellie xx

Hi Kaz -

Good to hear all the positives. Probably good for you to look over your shoulder, too - I know it always makes me feel guilty when I get the hump with Ben now, and then later think about how it used to be...

Very Best

BD :D