Sign in to follow this  
puffin

Should I force M to school?

I have a bit of a dilemma - I have M at home AGAIN today for the upteenth time since she started at school this term. It's surprising as school has been going well so far this term and the school have actually been helpful. She likes her teacher loves her LSA and the school have bent over backwards to accomodate her.

M is a 9-year old girl with AS and she has been complaining of being tired for several months. She did have a really bad throat infection about a month ago with blisters on her throat and tonsils and a fever. She was home over a week. The fever has gone down but her throat is still very slightly red. We have been to the doctor and even had blood tests but they cannot find anything specific.

So I'm wondering what to do for the best - I don't want to force her into school if she's sick as she has had some pretty major meltdowns in the past when ill. On the other hand I don't want being at home to become a habit that she cannot break. I am also feeling stressed as I work full time as a lecturer and am meant to be preparing a new course that starts in October working at home at the moment for - with M at home so much I am having that sinking feeling that I may have to stand up in front of 250 students with nothing to say.

What should I do?

Its so difficult isnt it. I used to send my lad off to school with a slug of calpol and my fingers crossed and spend the day in a state of constant worry. Other times I would keep him home convinced he was ill and spend the day giving him an endless supply of food and watching him leap around having a great time.

However children do tend to get knocked for six by a variety of ailments at this time of year. If she is already feeling under the weather following her recent bug she will be more likely to pick up anything thats going. In my school we are currently experiencing an outbreak of stomach bugs and mumps.

Perhaps you could get her some multi vitamins and let her rest at home for a few days and hopefully build up some resistance.

Ive probably only told you stuff youve already thought about but just wanted to let you know I know exactly how you feel.

Take care

Loraine

Puffin

I know how difficult this one is. At the end of the day I think you have to go with your gut feeling knowing that sometimes you'll be right, sometimes wrong.

Barefoot

P.S. I have a confesion to make - only 3 of my 4 went today. Not quite so bad as I HE the one with AS. Dd has bad cold and has just spent weekend camping for D of E. Middle son has tummy bug given to him by dd which she caught in Belgium weekend before. Youngest was only one who made it - very very grumpily, though he missed two days last week.

We hardly ever seem to have a week where everyone goes. Even hubby nearly stayed off with suspected mumps - I told him he's being v, irresponsible but he says he has to go.

Of course the only one who really can't be ill is .......?

Did you know that severe stress can lower your immune system and that many of our children have faulty immune systems to begin with?

Every ailment that my two have ever had have turned out to be major when other kids bounce back after a few days. Matthew ended up in hospital with Chicken Pox as they invaded his nasal cavities. We are still trotting backwards and forwards to A&E through that virus. Every time David got a throat infection he ended in hospital. David also ended up with a collapsed lung after a chest infection. OK this is extreme but even a small virus knocks Matthew out for weeks. He caught slapped cheek while at school. The other children all lost about 4 days with this Matthew lost 4 weeks.

We realised that his Cyclical Vomiting was also down to stress and his impaired immune system. The Consultant actually backed up our theory about this.

I also believe that trying to cope at school also lowers their immune systems.

Since my two have been home their health had imporved greatly. I am not saying that they are never ill because they are and a simple cold leaves Matthew complaining of feeling tired for weeks. I have to believe him because I can see that it does.

I have no answers for you but thought I would share my experiences with you.

>:D<<'> Carole

Edited by carole