Sign in to follow this  
Flora

Statements for Aspergers

How many of you have successfully got a Statement for a child with Aspergers?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have successfully got a Statement for a child with Aspergers?

• Have a statement in place
    • Going through assessment
    • Applied and was refused
    • Appealed and won
    • Appealed and lost
    • Never applied

Hi folks, sorry it's me again. Just trying to find some facts for ammo to appeal my LEA's decision not to assess. This is specifically for Aspergers, as they seem to be viewing it as totally seperate from ASD.

Gosh I,ve had a busy time posting this afternoon :rolleyes: , shall see you later Lauren in the cave....now must go and do some h.o.u.s.e.w.o.r.k....(sorry Elefan)Have posted vote for you....also have dx of dyslexia and dyspraxia so don,t know if these had any influence, my sons dx states ASD/AS.Suzex

I voted applied and was refussed, but we are currently appealling (Fingers Crossed).

unfortunatley you can only vote once- so which child?

One has a diagnosis and gets help in school, one is going through the process and the other can't get any help because we can't get a diagnosis.

We were lucky enough to get a statement, but I did hear through the grapevine at the time that the words 'complex needs' had to be a part of the Ed. Physc. report to enable us to get it.

It may also be worth having a look at your LEA's criteria for assessment as they have been tightened up dramatically. When you find it (should be on your local council's website), compare the wording to what IPSEA's website says is illegal. I have spoken to IPSEA about my LEA's criteria and it is ALL illegal, they are investigating them. One of the things my LEA are insisting as part of the criteria is 'There MUST be a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder'. As I pointed out to IPSEA some parents wait years for a diagnosis, does that mean that the child cannot get help until one is made?.............If your LEA is acting illegally, let IPSEA know. LEA's cannot and should not be allowed to get away with it.

Annie

X

So far I've not seen the need to apply, and nor have school. J is one of those aspies who can keep a lid on things in school, so in that respect school have no difficulties with him. I can see it becoming necessary as time goes on though, so haven't ruled it out yet.

Karen

x

Ummm not sure :wacko: was turned down for assessment in Feb, appealed, 3 weeks away from the tribunal date in July, they agreed to assess, have proposed statment, so nearly there.

s

xxx

Edited by Sallya

sallya that sounds promising. I am definitely going to appeal. He has dx of AS and dyspraxia. I can't see how they can turn it down with all the problems we've been having.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Lauren X

Hi Lauren - just wanted to say we were refused a statement following assessment and I was all ready to appeal, (my son at was only dx with dyspraxia I think at the time) but having got advice from parent partnership I decided not to appeal but to ask LEA to reassess my son a few weeks later when I had gathered more 'evidence'. This was so the best plan it turned out because I think I'm right in remembering that if you loose your appeal it's quite a while before you can go through the procedure again! However I know you said they are refusing to even assess your child so I've probably not been much help. Do you mind me asking is it you or the school who have asked for assessment and if it is you are the school backing you up?

Good luck - luv witsend.

Witsend, it was me who requested. The school have had him action plus since he started there and he hasn't even got an IEP ! Needless to say they haven't backed my request. He's going to be reveiwed after they've had someone from the autism outreach come in and observe and the LEA officer has told the school they've got to get their finger out. This I was going along with until I realised they aren't reviewing him until two months time. In other words, when it would be too late for me to appeal. IPSEA say I should appeal anyway, while gathering further evidence. I can always withdraw the appeal if they decide to 'talk turkey' (the words of the nice IPSEA man).

I'm not letting it go.

Lauren

'talk turkey' ?

Gobbledygook, gobbledygook, that's the way turkey talks !

(according to some old kids' tv show whose title escapes me... ?)

I nice image for the LEA I think :rolleyes:

Do they know any other language? :devil::wacko:

We applied for assessment - refused - appealed - got turned down - school applied for assessment - finally got a statement 3 years nearly after diagnosis.

Diagnosis is actually HFA - but I'm never too sure of the distinction from AS

Lauren >:D<<'> to you it must be dreadful when the school are behaving like this, it makes me see red :wallbash:. Sounds like your getting good support from IPSEA. I just wish you the best of luck and :thumbs: to you for not giving up - hang in there - luv Witsend.

my son started the statementing process before he started school, statement arrived when he was in recp. his nursery identified a problem with him and he was assessed etc. we didnt get a diagnosis until he was in yr2 and then it was asd, probably mild aspergers.