Sign in to follow this  
smiley

School funding

Appologies if this has been here before (i'm sure it must have been - just can't find a thread!).

When a child is at school action plus they get a certain amount of funding right?

When a child is Statemented they too get a certain amount of funding.......

Now, my sons school say it is not worth statementing him because they will get no extra money to help. My argument is; but the money from the Statementing funding will go to him and just him..... Whereas the money from funding for SA+ can go anywhere....

Am i right in this??

Yes you are right.

They mean it is not worth the hassle to them, and then they woudl legally have to provide for all your childs needs. No motivation for them at all!

Karen

Contact your LEA, some LEA's don't provide extra funding with statements in the UK, seems totally wrong to do but thats how they work, some give extra funds on SA+ some don't.

Kazzen is right, some schools prefer to avoid statement as then they will have a legal document to say what support your son should have and when, some times with schools which are offering a lot of support this can reduce what they 'should' be giving when it comes to support. I know of a recent case where a child had an LSA working with him and 2 others in class all day every day, the statement he just got sets out 3 hours per day, which has mean't they have now reduced the support he gets.

Smileymab I think we are going to see more and more cases where schools do not think it is worth statementing a child. As is becoming very clear different LEAs work in different ways and that shouldn't happen. I did write to my M.P. about it because I was so p****d off . Didn't really do any good as he just repeated the jargon fed to him by the D of E. What I'm sure will no doubt happen is Only the most severe and complex low incidence conditions will be statemented. The rest of the high incidence statements will come out of the SEN budget. And no the funding does not go just on the particular child, unless you have your statement worded very carefully which my childrens still aren't. If we think things are bad now I'm sure they're going to get a lot worse.

A statement may not be in the school's direct interests but it will be in your child's best interests as it gives the child a level of support that the schoo MUST provide,