Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

Super Human Strength

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there has been a study done on above average strength in people with an ASD?

My AS son is only nine-years-old but when he goes into "a rage" (as he calls it) it can take two adults to prevent him from lashing out at his intended victim (usually his twin!). I once put up my hands for him to hit them (boxing style) when he was in a rage and he fair knocked me over!

He has this strange view that he is a Barbarian warrior and I have to admit when he goes Berserk he really is like someone from Viking legend! :bounce:

Daisy

Hi Daisy

Idon't know if there's been any study on strength but i would say,that when there in a rage they have great strength.I takes me and my partner to told on to him as my 5 year old son is the target in our house :o .I feel so sorry for him.

hi daisy, my son who is nearly 9 is very strong it takes me and his dad to restrain him especially when he is attacking his 5 yr old sister he always seems to go for her when he is in one of his rages.

sharron.

I hav been the target of Martin's rage before and it takes alot of energy to stop him from actually hitting me.

If he does manage to hit me :fight: then it hurts alot more than u wud xpect from a nine year old.

But if u don't fite back then fings r worse because the barrage of blows ###### at u and u can't tell him to stop.

C too is extreamly strong and has been since he was around 1 1/2 years old.

When he is in a paddy it is normaly his older sister who's 7 who cops it.She beats a hasty retreat and I jump on him ( Not litrually though He He ).

Have to admit he normally manages to get free from me and I end up injured.

lisa

My son can be extremely strong when he wants to especially when he's in a bad mood. I think we all have it in us to be stringer than we usually are when adrenalin kicks in, was just on about this today after helping out at an accident with a motorbike, when I seen it was leaking fuel I lifted it and moved it. Then after the guy had been moved I couldn't even push it when it was upright it was so heavy :huh: shows how much extra strength you can have when you need it.

We also have the sibling cops for the mood swings problem, and even tho his 'little brother' is taller and twice his weight my ASD/ADHD son can pick him up and throw him :blink: Been injured on several occasions in the last few weeks due to my sons outbursts.

For AS according to Hans A's paper AS kids are traditionally "weedy" can say how this pans out for ASD, no doubt there are excerptions.

What is not "weedy" is their attacks, they mean it and don?t have doubts holding them back, so they put their whole body weight behind the attack which literally doubles the strength of the attack. As the say to any boxer �put your weight behind it�

Thanks for those responses folks.

Adrenelin must be the key, I remember when one of my boys was badly scalded on holiday while we were camping - I lifted up a huge water carrier (several gallons full) and poured the whole lot over him, usually I can't even carry it back from the water tap!

Planning on putting Martin into Tae Kwondo as it's supposed to be good for self discipline and popular with his school friends at the moment. :ninja:

Daisy

:tearful: on this subject-my son is also very strong when hes having a fit of rage,hes only 4 and it worrys me about what he will be like when he is older.only on monday he caused me an accident he was refusing to go in my mums house and was fighting with me,i struggled picking him up,and he dragged me down with his weight,i went head first through the open door with my son underneath me[luckly i put my arms out so he didnt get crushed] but i fell bang down hard on the door frame and cut my legs real bad-i can hardly walk-its right on the leg bone,incidently i went drs today about it-had to have antibiotics as he said the big hole in my legs were now infected,got to go back in a week. :crying: the best of it is it didnt really sink in with my son what he had actually caused. :wallbash:

i can see me having more probs like this with him in future,extremley worries me as i am also single mum[not big built myself].

Oh yes, my AS son is also extremely strong and not only when he is in a rage. When he doesn't want to do something or go somewhere he'll just stand there, or hold on to a door handle or whatever, and there is no way I can budge him at all.........those are the moments when I could really use a blue badge....

I also think they don't know their own strength. DD 9 wanted to use the loo and didn't realise the door was locked... she just opened it anyway and the lock went flying, much to the surprise of her sister who was still sat there :lol:

Yep now that one as well! Julian is four and when he lets rip he lets rip! I have usually got bruises on my arms, legs, body, face etc etc trying to stop him, he headbuts usually - he has nutted me so many times it is unreal! :fight:

Wish I could find another way to channel it. :wacko:

Caroline

xxxxx

One thing about ASD folk is that they often have 'poor muscle tone' which makes them look less muscly than they actually are. They look 'weedy' but can shock when they use their real strength.

When Com was 18 months old he could move a full big Calor gas cylinder (taller than he was) in order to get at the computer room. Now, at 13, he can't lift a chair! Unless he wants to ;) . Determination seems to be the key, or desperation when in meltdown.

nemo