Sign in to follow this  
mici

help and advise

does anyone know rounds about when the eduation psy becomes involed , and why she becomes involved is it purley for statments or do they become involved other wise.

just wondered if anyone out there knows wat there roll is exactly for.

would appreciate some iput if poss thanks xxx :unsure:

I've known times when an EP has come into the school to:

*assess a child for a statutory assessment

*re-assess a statemented child's SEN

*attend a planning meeting of a statemented child

*attend an annual review of statemented child

*give general advice - the Senco/class teacher may be concerned about a particular child

the ed psych can be called to assess a child at any point, parents may ask for this but schools can be reluctant to ask the ed psych to see a child because they have to either pay for the service or they have specific allocated hours when they are in school (we have this in our area) so the time has to be shared out. There are always too many kids to fit into the time so unless the school thinks (or recognises) they aren't coping they won't call the ed psych.

in our authority it is possible to speak to the ed psych - I've always been put straight through - to discuss concerns but then Com has a statement so is already on the books, I don't know if it makes a difference.

try phoning the social inclusion service or educational psychology service - the numbers should be on the LEA website.

I'm not sure a school is actually allowed to point blank refuse to call the ed psych in if a parent requests it - you could ring ipsea or the NAS to find out.

you could also go to the head instead of the senco, if that fails a letter to the governors can work wonders, in fact, a request in writing might be all you need.

thanks for that info, ill tell ya, talk about mind blowing , that was my thoughts though they obviosly have issues otherwise they wouldnt have bought the ed pys in. the ed pys did mention a statment but to be honest wit ya dont know whats appinin in that deparment , have rung the ed pys up they say his report will be out to us within 5 days. what a palava only wana try and help the little guy avin lots of probs wit scool :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::o

as i have just had this conversation with my senco and read the sen code of practice - the ep SHOULD be consulted when the child is assigned to SA+ so that a proper IEP can then be done in conjunction with CAISTE (cambridgeshire - other letters elsewhere) the outside assistants for special needs. If they bring in the EP beofre SA+ - then you have a school that is actually paying attention to your child congratulations!!