Sign in to follow this  
bid

Home Visit...

Hi all :)

Our 4 year old has a home visit this Friday as the first part of his assessment by the Communication Disorder Clinic.

Can anyone describe what happens, please?

My 16 year old had a home visit from the diagnostic centre during his assessments, but he was 7 at the time. He just took them to his bedroom and talked about his hobbies.

The professional visiting us is a Special Needs Health Visitor (actually she was Auriel's HV, so I know her very well).

What should I do about toys...should I have some laid out, or just have things as they normally are (tidier, of course! ;):lol: )

I'm in a bit of a tizzle...

Bid :wacko:

My advice is: don't bend over backwards to make things easy/work. The assessor needs to see what difficulties your child faces. The devil in me says put out things/organise situations that you know your child finds difficult so she will see your child really copes, but that's up to you...!

No advice but Bid but just to say I hope it all goes well. Understand the feeling of being in a bit of a tizzle.....

What should I do about toys...should I have some laid out, or just have things as they normally are (tidier, of course!  )

Understand that feeling, spent the weekend tidying up our house to so it was fit to be seen by the OT, EP and home tutors this week, difficult thing is going to be keping it that way. :lol:

Bid,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Just hoover up the Frosties and toast crusts from under the table and carry on as normal. :rolleyes:

K

Hi

All the best >:D<<'> ;)

Better to carry on as normal but may be part of it should be not to prepare your child too much as surprisingly in those situation ASD kids may decide to be at their best behaviour for once and spoild it all, I remmember having prepared my son for the EP test and he was so good that the EP kept making inuendos that I most probably was a depress fussy mother. :wallbash:

Malika.

Go for normal, no efforts required, they want to see her as she is.

The third home visit my son (aged 9) had he totally ignored the paedetrician! I asked him to come off the computer to sit down and chat to her and he just gave monosylabic answers and went straight back on :oops:

Paedetrician got so exasperated that she ended up sitting there with her eyes closed just to calm down. Didn't help that the toddler was demanding all the attention at the time either :devil:

Daisy

Nightingales,

I decided to push the settee back to make a bit more room to play minutes before the HV was due to arrive. I found a dead mouse :blink:

I was there trying to decide whether to just put the settee back or risk chucking the mouse out the door (worrying she would be ringing the doorbell ) Thankgod she was late as usual :lol::lol:

wac

sorry, Bid,

I know my tale wasn't of any help whatsoever (unless you have a cat, that is !)

I'm always busy frantically tidying/cleaning before any official visits. I just leave the toy boxes out, and let junior pick what to play with. (a quick check of the toy box to remove old toast/ non toy items is required in our house !!)

wac