Sign in to follow this  
Suze

nightmares/sleep

My son has been waking at night and crying out and shouting. We have to take him back to bed and try and calm him. His eyes are open and he appears to be awake. He can counts how many fingers I hold up for example. But he talks incoherently and says there are men at the door etc. He appears to be in a very agitated state and will cry and sob one minute , then get very angry and clench his fists and teeth the next. He can be like this for an hour, before we manage to settle him. Does anyone else have similar problems?.........Should we visit the gp?.........What could be causing this, he has been stressed and had problems at school lately., could stress be the cause. These situations are very upsetting and he does,nt remember them the next day. Help anyone.

I think a visit to the GP maight be a good idea. I can only suggest that they are either night terrors (they apear awake but aren't, can he see you, does he know you are there??, if no, then this could be it). Also, stress can play a huge factor too so maybe that's it. I woke up the night before last unable to breath (most frightening experience of my life!!) and after a long night, went to see my GP yesterday who said it was a panic attack, the first (and hopefully last!) one ever. Said it's probably due to the stress etc I've been under lately that triggered it as I was worrying whilst trying to get to sleep.

I hope you get this sorted soon.

Tyler used to syffer from a lot of nightmares (though not as bad as your son's) and I bought him a dreamcatcher which he keeps above his bed. That eased things tremendously!! I'm not a true believer in these things but it was recommended and so whom am I to refuse an option!! LOL It worked though!! B)

All the best to you and your son. >:D<<'>

Suze >:D<<'> I agree you must talk to GP. My son does this regularly, it does sound like night terrors. Is there anything happening at school that may be upsetting him or stressing him out that you don't yet know about?

Lauren

We went through a simular situation over a year ago. My son believed he could see fingers coming through the walls. They were he said coming through the wheels of the tractors. He would wake up screaming and inconsolable although he had his eyes open and were aware we were there he didn't seem completely with it. We too would have to sit with him till he calmed. It was a passing phase although it lasted months. Gradually he woke up less and less during the night and we ended up pulling the border from the wall and covering the rest up with posters. Recently he started 'seeing' the fingers again although it hasn't woken him up. He could even point to which wheels had fingers coming through :blink: He also says he can see bubbles of coloured lights in our bedroom although they seem to have a wierd calming effect on him. I don't know if he has a vivid imagination or really believes something is there but when i get his next appointment I think I will mention it.

You didn't say if this has been going on long with your son.

I don't suppose i've been much use but just thought i'd let you know we have been there.

My NT son gets this now and again, especially if he's feeling unwell or he's been having a stressful time. One minute he'll be shouting that his cloak is annoying him as he's flying (?) and the next he'll speak rationally.

T doesn't get night terrors (he causes 'em!) but frequently wakes and sings to himself for hours on end.

M is growing out of these now- had the first one for a year recently.

Hi Suze,

I agree that it is probably stress.

My cousin had the same problem as a child and again after he got married and took on a large mortgage ;) sounds strange I know but he would wake up and tell his wife that there were rats at the end of the bed or he would jump up and attack an imaginary intruder. She could actually have a conversation with him but he would stare straight ahead. It spooked her out so much that she had trouble sleeping. When she told him in the morning he thought that she was making it up.

Once he got to grips with relaxing a bit more and winding down before going to sleep the problem disappeared!

Is your son too old for a cuddle and a story before bed to make him relax?

Strange story I know but it just shows what stress can do to some adults.

Hope this helps

Stressed out Mum

Hi

From what I have read I think that nigh terrors, nightmares and hallucinations are sometimes a part of as.Wether it is because of the stree people with as are under or not.I don't know.I have mild as and as achild would have vivid nightmares night after night(not hallucinations though)I still have bad dreams now.My mum took me to the doctors who described it as my brain not being able to switch off.Even now if something upsets me during the day I am awake thinking about it.When I was a child you could ask me the answers to sums and I would get them right despite being fast asleep.!!I believe there is a threadf on here about hallucinations and night terrors.It is from some time ago.Maybe Nellie would be able to help on this.

Edited by ceecee

Suze,

Yes, this subject has been discussed at length before. My son suffered night terrors, so I do know how difficult it can be........not to mention scary!

Hallucinations/Night terrors, Any experiences?

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...t=0entry11552

NIGHT TERRORS /DREAMS

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...t=0entry24542