Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Allowing ASD children to leave School

Gut instinct says:

"What the hell did the head think they were playing at?

Gut instinct and a great deal of common sense says they want their ###### head read. I am pretty sure this was illegal. Just going out will look some things up when I return. I believe there may have been some serious breech of trust and law here.

I don't know of any specific law relating to this and schools but endangering a child by leaving them unattended is an offence and clearly this has happened in this case.

Absolutely outrageous! I'm furious just reading that story. Hope Phasmid can find the answer for you Carole, some of these people who are supposed to be educating our kids are out and out morons.

Lauren

That any head would agree to pupils leaving the school premises without authorisation from the parents and with the children having no adult guide is :o , where was the heads brain that day?????????.........not in gear obviously :shame: .

Jomica's post links pretty much straight to what Mrs Phasmid and I have found in the governors guide to the law. Haven't got a link for it as we have taken this from our hard copy but you should be able to find it on the PDF version available via the DfES website. You need:

Chapter 15, p5, 34.

I have been unable to find anything that covers this specificaly in either the SEN CoP or the ASD good practice guidance. Haven't stopped digging yet. Next route requires a bit more info though. Child is on Higher rate DLA - are they in reciept of ANY part of the mobility component, and if so what?

Have found this which may be useful:

DfES parents centre

This is at the bottom of the page:

Pupil health and safety: complaints

If you have a complaint about the health and safety in the school of your child, you should speak to the school. You may decide to write to the head teacher. If you remain dissatisfied, you should make use of the school's formal complaints procedures by writing to the chairman of the school's governing body. In the case of a community and voluntary controlled school you could also write to the local authority (as the employer).

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the enforcing agency for health and safety legislation and any complaints about alleged breaches of health and safety law may be directed towards the local HSE Office.

No child at primary should be allowed out of school without the parents prior permission - anything could have happened to him. Even at the Twins secondary, they have to have written permission to leave the premises during school time.

The very least should be a letter to the Head and copy to the Chair of Governors.

Karen

This is interesting, an LEA definition of 'in loco parentis';

in loco parentis

While children are at school, teachers are regarded in law as being in the place of a parent (in loco parentis, to use the Latin phrase). This means that teachers must act towards children as a reasonable parent could be expected to act.

Taken from here:

link

Can anyone say that this happened in this case?