Sign in to follow this  
bid

High Level Language Disorder...

Hi :)

My 4 year old son is just starting his assessment with the Communication Disorder Clinic.

At his original Child Development Clinic assessment, the paediatrician mentioned the idea of a 'High Level Language Disorder'.

I was talking to the SENCO at his Nursery today, mentioned this, and she said that it was often linked to ASD, but could equally stand on its own.

BUT...I've no idea what it means!!

No one has given me a clear picture of what it is.

Any ideas??

Bid :wacko:

Thanks for the links, guys >:D<<'>

But I still don't see the difference with AS, especially from the explanation on the Afasic site :unsure:

Any ideas?

Bid :hypno:

Bid,

Don't know if this is of any relevance or any help but A was diagnosed 9 years ago with Semantic Pragmatic Language disorder, long before his diagnosis of AS. When he had his medical for his statutory assessment Friday his Doctor was noting down all his dxs and said well of course that means they knew he was autistic then because it was and still is considered part of the spectrum.

So if High functioning language disorder is practically the same as semantic pragmatic disorder, as it seems to me it is, there would be no difference between it and AS, it's just a question of emphasis.

Edited by Tez

We have a parent in our local group whose son has AS and a High Level Language Disorder. I will try and ask her what this actually means. I do know that it affected how they wrote his statement as it meant that his difficulties were more extreme than him just having AS.

Carole

Bid, my son was eventually diagnosed prior to aspergers with semantic pragmatic disorder, I was diagnosed privately with mixed receptive expressive language disorder, my son has late speech and is limited verbally and I had early speech and am articulate and verbal, however we both have serious comprehension difficulties and pragmatic difficulties, which in my case and my sons case give rise to symptoms which validate a diagnosis of asd . P rofessor gillberg says these difficulites are clearly linked to the core problems on the autistic spectum and are not limited to language alone, but affect all parts of functioning and of processing all information not just language, and the language difficulties may not obvious to others. I don't know whether you child fits other criteria for asd, and can only give you my experience and what I've read from the researchers into asds