Sign in to follow this  
witsend

therapy vs happiness??

Hi everyone - did start writing this post about 3 hours ago but DS been so demanding tonight only just got back to it :wacko: It's not a big deal really but in true AS fashion my son has is making it one and now my heads spinning. Basically son has just started today on a 6 week programme of 'strengthening' exercises via the OT dept. This means he has to attend each thursday from 9.15 'til 10.00 so therefore misses school for an hour or so. I was worried intitially that he's missing schoolwork (yr 6) but after talking to head about it and having waited so long for some OT input decided it was worthwhile.

Anyway we realised yesterday that son would actually just (did I say just! ) be missing swimming at this time so I thought well that's OK son is OK at swimming and it's not the most important thing on the curiculum anyaway...However my son is now distraught :( . He says swimming is one of the only things he enjoys at school and he went on and on and on tonight about how awful it is he has to miss it and how cr*p OT is anyway etc etc. Now part of me thinks he is just trying to manipulate me and I am being soft for even considering cancelling the OT so he can go swimming and another part of me just feels sorry for him because he was so upset about it and I don't blame him for being sick of extra therapies etc which in the long run never seem to make much differance. Today at OT they had to do various animal walks!! :unsure: and when he got back to school he had to wait for the rest of his class to get back from swimming hence making him the 'odd one out' again.

He is at an age now where I think his own views do need to be taken into account and I did tell him I would not force him to do the OT if it made him miserable, but then of course he got all upset about that too! :wallbash:

Apparently next week at swimming they are doing the diving in to save a doll bit which he was really looking forward to! And just to comound it all OT has sent home sheets of 'homework' (more animal walks :lol: ) he's supposed to practice in addition to regular homework, speech therapy homework and extra reading practice homework :wallbash: . God knows when I'm supposed to actually give 3 year old any quality time eh?? (scooby doo video again anyone?)

So does anyone think? Animal walks vs swimming? Welcome to my world :lol:

Luv Witsend.

I am going to stick my neck right out here and say swimming. If this is one of the few things that this little lad enjoys at school then unless the OT is vital I would let him swim. It's probably not the right answer but it's the one I will give with my 'Mothers' head on.

Carole

Hi have to agree with carole if he really likes swimming and it is a good form of exersise then I'd let him do it.After all he really wants to do it and the poor kids are made to do all sorts of extra things eg Physio, OT...........

Could you have a chat with the OT and try to ask if the day or time could be changed maybe.

Lisa :D

Thanks guys I'm glad you said that 'cos it is my gut feeling too. Don't think there's any chance of OT changing times/dates 'cos it's a group thing and they act like you should be grateful you've got an appt in the first place. :(

Still you never know may just ring them and see what happens....

Luv Witsend.

OT should not replace PE but be as well as, especially swimming which is the best form of exercise there is.

also if there is nothing else your son enjoys how can he enjoy school without it - try to rearrange the OT if you can

if you can't, buy a trampoline and one of those wobbly round children's stools/seats from Ikea, very good for balance and strength, and see if you can get him into a good small tae kwondo group.

Zemanski

Well I would hope that knowing that your son is autistic and that she may just have to be the one to give here :unsure: I hope so :pray:

Carole

Edited by carole

I would also def say go for the swimming here. explain to the ot and ask him or her to rearrange. your ds loves to swim and that is enough reason in itself apart from the fact that whatever they do in ot I would not have thought would match the skill/ability swimming needs in terms of co-ordination and strengthening of shoulder/arm/leg muscles.

Elaine

Yes I'm with everyone else on this it's got to be swimming. My son also hated his O.T. sessions, and really animal walks for a year 6 child.We had a b****y 30 page book of exercises and activities we were supposed to carry out at home. The whole family clubbed together to get a trampoline which has been brilliant. However we now don't have any back garden :lol:

p.s witsend I know you will probably do this but if you do cancel the sessions put it in writing with your reasons, I didn't do this for one block of sessions just did a phone call, and the LEA thought we weren't cooperating.

Thank you all for giving me the courage of my convictions B)

Have just rung the OT dept and actually got straight through to the right person and discussed the situation with her. She was really nice and understanding and agreed it was best for him not to miss swimming because he likes it and it's such good excercise :DB) she also said they will be running another group after xmas and he's welcome to join that one :D In the menatime she's going to send us lots more homework so we can practice those animal walks at home :wacko::lol:

Thanks again :notworthy: to all of you - luv witsend.