Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Social Services

Has anyone had any help from them with their child/ren?

What form did this come in?

How long did it take to set up?

What did you think?

Was their support a help or hindrance?

Did you regret getting them involved, or are you glad you did?

The Education Welfare Officer has recommended we get in touch with social services to see what they do for us.

I have not had any contact as yet and I am not sure if I want too.

My son has got a social worker and Social services also have prental resposability for him. this was started after he was removed from his mothers care after it became apparent she was not treating him appropriately. He is subject to a care order (which actually gets revoked today and he is no longer under SS care). anyway to cut a very long story short.....

SS have been a brilliant help and it is unfortunate but it is realitly that without SS help C would have had to wait for assessment and for all other aspects of help such as clinical pshyciatrists etc but with SS these things have happened for him almost immediately. I am in the fortunate position that the SS dept that is invlolved in C's welfare is not my local authority and so I only see them every 6 months anyway for a LAC review. So whenever we have needed anything I can phone and get them to try and sort it.

I have heard terror stories about SS in certain regions and i've no doubt that this is true as i've had dealings with less than proffessional SS workers also but fortunately the great british art of complaining meant that incorrect and personal opinion decisions were quashed. to sum up I would say that SS are an absolutely brilliant resource if used correctly especially for opening doors to other forms of help, disability equipment, queue jumping etc. But be aware that not all social workers are trained to deal with ASD kids and you may find that you are more of an "expert" that they!!

Cheers

Malc

SS are Ccccrrrrraaaappppp :devil:

I have been begging for help with H all they keep saying is "can your mam not help more" :angry: She already comes over as much as she can and my dad is disabled.

I asked them for respite and they said i would have to have a core assesment done by a social worker and they may find that H's sister is at risk from his biting etc. and either take her off us or put H into residential :angry::angry::angry:

No Way :angry::angry:

needless to say i have not persued that avenue :devil::devil::angry::angry:

I've also heard this situation aswell, that SS won't actually get involved in the first place unless they ###### well have to!! Again this is a case of the postcode lottery and how well SS are funded. Once involved though they can open a few doors for you but generally will want to be more involved than just giving you help ie they need to do reviews etc etc. A friend of mine with an ASD child can't get help from SS locally as they basically don't want to commit because they don't have to, it keeps the figures easier to manage and gives better results at the end of the year.

Malc

I haven't any personal experience, but another parent I know begged for respite care when her oldest (AS) and youngest (ASD) were hitting her middle one (NT). She was told, similarly, that SS would consider removing the middle child from home if she continued to be at risk, but that no respite care would be granted.

After that, they felt that any mention of the continuing problems might lse them a child rather than help.

Havent had any dealings with them, so i've no idea what they'r like. Not sure if we'd even be under the same team though as we're in different countys. You could try contacting the support group near you....not sure if i should put it here - if you can't think of it, PM me and i'll pass the details on. >:D<<'>

Hi,

I've been waiting for a SS assessment for 1year. Every time i phone them they say, "You're on the waiting list". :wallbash:

Even when my son tried to kill himself (aged 6), they weren't even bothered.

All i want is some help or respite.

Waste of time if you ask me.

Loulou x

Us too. We had a SS worker come out to see if I could get direct payments she was cr*p!!!She sat there for three mins decided Char was high functioning and ASD didn't class as a disability which the SS could help us with.I was disgusted with the rubbish she was saying and told her to leave and look up ASD on the net and come back when she knew what she was talking about!!!

Lisa x :wallbash:

This is how much help we have received from social services since my daughter entered their consciousness in November.

Exactly.

I am still undecided as to if I want the involvement of SS, it seems to be a major postcode lottery, and I have heard both horror stories and those of fantastic social workers who couldn't do more to help.