Sign in to follow this  
gvce

HOLIDAY ADVICE

We are planning on going onholiday next year with C who will be 6 then. The only thing is, because of his lack of social skills, I am finding it quite difficult to decide where to go.

Should I go somewhere where he can be thrown in the deepend?Or somewhere where we can just be together, the 3 of us as a family?

I would like a bit of a break and so would my partner.

(bit of history - just about me so don't feel you have to read this)

3rd September 2003 I had a massive car crash which left me with a broken neck, smashed foot, broken toes, thumb, pelvis and femur so I have been in and out of hospital having operations for the past 2 years. Been to counselling and only just stopped having nightmares and stuff (at least she was convicted though so thats a good thing - lesson to all - never drive when you're tired and always wear your seatbelt)

Anyway, We both need a break but like we all know, its about the kids!

does anyone have any advice?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hi gvce

Sorry to hear about your bad 2 years :(

We normally go to Centre Parcs for New Year or a short break in the summer.

There is so much to do so you can pick to just relax and enjoy the wildlife or pick some activites to do (not sure of your budget).

The kids enjoy the dome and sports so it covers any age.

We've been going since my son was four (twelve now) and he still looks forward to going :D

Hi Gvce

Gosh you have had some bad luck glad to hear you are getting better now. We Are trying flying next year to Florida didn't think we would be able to do it cause Char not good at change but hol company have been great.We told them about Char and they gave us extras free like upgrade seats and pre booking and even asked us what we would like the staff to do!!I told them as long as the staff didn't talk to Char we shouldn't have a problem.I also mentioned he can't queue told not a problem we could be first one or last on which ever was best for us.

I have also been told that folrida is great with AS ASD kids and they have a card which you show and totaly jump the queues so that will be good.

Other hols we have are self catering normaly in caravans on the Haven sites or Great british hols( now Park resorts I think ) sites but have to say the night enterainment is a no no for us too many people in a small place and it freaks Char out. Beauty of the Self catering is you can do something in the van at night with the kids and have a glass or two of your fav' bevys

Lisa x

We have similar problems on holiday - it's just too much of a change of routine.

Always ends in meltdown central :tearful::(

This year we went and stayed at a relatives house by the seaside. My relative is wonderful - just gave us a key and let us do as we please.

I can honestly say, it was the best holiday i've ever had with M. We had a fantastic time :wub:B)

So sorry to hear of your crash :( , glad your on the mend.We have been too florida/orlando a few times, it depends on your ASD kid.Mine thought it was cr*p and a con, does,nt like to be taken in by cuddly costumed adults :wacko: .The queues, heat and walking is a lot to handle too.Even the fasttrack system is,nt that fast.But this is only my personal opinion, you may find your kids love it.Our best hols are in hired homes or villa (if abroad).We go to devon in a cottage, take all the videos toys with us, the food is the same :rolleyes: , and there is loads to do ,steam trains, farms, parks, beaches.If you like abroad Portugal is great, not too busy, we hire a villa they usually have sat tv and video,s so it can feel like home.Good luck hope you find a holiday thats right up your street :thumbs: .

Camping is an excellent idea. We have a caravan, nothing grand but suits us and everything in it is familiar we can go to lots of different places, and explore the surrounding areas. Little ones have there own beds the same ones all the time, and there own bedding, its the best thing we ever did was get a caravan.

Julie

Hi gvce

Sorry to hear about your bad 2 years :(

We normally go to Centre Parcs for New Year or a short break in the summer.

There is so much to do so you can pick to just relax and enjoy the wildlife or pick some activites to do (not sure of your budget).

The kids enjoy the dome and sports so it covers any age.

We've been going since my son was four (twelve now) and he still looks forward to going :D

GVCE

We have been going to Centerpars for about 4 years now.

It isn't cheap, but you can cut the cost by going well out of season, we usually take them out of school for a week, which isn't ideal but it is better for our kids when it isn't really busy.

It is better than most places for an out of season holiday as eveything on the site (apart from a few outdoor activities) is open all year round which isn't the case anywhere else you may go for an out of season holiday in this country. I would recommend booking late for the week before or the week after the February half term.

The main advantages for us are:

Instant familiarity. They settle in more or less sraight away.

No cars on site except for diabled guests and site vans, so no need to worry about traffic.

Bike hire. It's the highlight of every visit for our chilren, and J(&, AS) gets to ride a tricyle all week which is a huge boost to hos self-esteem (Balance/co-ordination nowhere near good enough for a two-wheeled bike).

Plenty of space to spread out.

You could do more 'stetching' holidays in due course, but to re-establish holidaus for your family, a single-centre holiday like Centerparcs or the Daisy Chain project is probably the way to go.

Simon

Hi

Can highly recommend CentreParcs, went beginning of this year and going again at the beginning of next. Can be expensive depending on when you go but we go in January when it is relatively cheap and have a laugh. Julian enjoys the pool and we make the most of the evenings to eat and have a few beers (we go with friends who Julian has known since birth and are very good with him and very very understanding).

Sorry to hear about your horrid accident - bet that was a bit ouch to say the least - but good to know you are on the mend

lots of >:D<<'>

Supersec

we have got a caravan you can take it wherever you want no meltdowns of my son as everything is familiar, it is the best thing we ever bought.