Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Sensibly cautious or unreasonably overprotective?

The school wouldn't think it was appropriate for a member of staff to make this suggestion...

Funnily enough my first thoughts on this were identical to those of bids (above). I would ask myself that very question first; Would the school think this was appropriate behaviour by ANY member of staff?

I am friends with the parents of some of the children at school, some through school, some because they are neighbours, others through friendships that developed through my own children. Those are entirely different reasons for getting to know children outside of school. I would NEVER, under any circumstances, approach a child in this way (not just because I'm a bloke either).

I think gut instinct has rung some warning bells for you. That happens for a reason!

If, and its a big-ish if, you decide to allow this to develop I'd exercise extreme caution and be prepared to sever the connection pronto if things don't feel right.

HTH

Hi all -

I did speak to the lady, and learnt some things that made me feel a bit more comfortable about her motives, but have still put her off until the New Year...

When we get to that point, if she's still interested, I'll ask if she wants to formalise arrangements through one of the local befriending schemes...

The stuff we discussed that i found somewhat reassuring was quite personal, and I know that a couple of local mums occassionally look in on the forum, so it wouldn't be fair/appropriate for me to post it here.

What i would say is THANKYOU so much to everyone who posted a reply... I can't tell you how reassuring it was to know that the general consensus was 'sensibly cautious', 'cos sometimes its hard to see the woods for the trees if YKWIM... We spend so much time trying to get our kids included and accepted, it makes it hard sometimes to knock back things that might be good for them, and then on the other hand we spend so much time trying to protect them from the 'nasties' that sometimes we doubt our own judgement.

Complicated old life, ennit!

L&P and thanks again

BD :D

I did speak to the lady, and learnt some things that made me feel a bit more comfortable about her motives, but have still put her off until the New Year...

When we get to that point, if she's still interested, I'll ask if she wants to formalise arrangements through one of the local befriending schemes...

Badders, just make sure that she doesn't have a penchant for little white bunnies :robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::P