Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

Escalators, not totally asd, but...

This morning I went shopping with my mum to buy eldest son's b'day pressies. We got the latest Harry Potter PS2 game and went to leave the shop by the escalator.

I couldn't step on it cos I felt like the steps were going too fast and I couldn't judge when to step off. I had a queue of people behind me and had to make em all shift so that I could get away and find some stairs.

I felt a right t*t, my mum was visibly concerned but I just said I felt dizzy.

I'm concerned cos at the weekend we had to go over a footbridge over a busy road, and I honestly didn't think I would make it.

I seem to have developed vertigo over a period of time but all of a sudden it's got far worse. I can't watch anything moving, the credits after a tv show send me spinning :sick:

has anyone else experienced this ?

I'm scared I'll never be able to step on an escalator again !

it's been worrying me all day,

off to bed now, hopefully no dreams of moving staircases ( I'd be stuck at Hogwarts !!!)

feeling very silly,not in a funny way :tearful:

wac

Hiya hun, I'm not ASD but I have OCD and a real fear of escalators. When I was a girl there was an advert on trying to get people to use them responsibly and in this ad a little girl dropped a rag doll and it's hair got caught in the bottom of the escalatoe while it was moving. I always remember that add and it drives me mad. I can't use them either and go hot and cold and panic. I'm not too keen on lifts either but of the two the lift would win every time.

It's quite common you know, many people have the same fear.

Not sure if that helps but I wanted to say it anyway :rolleyes:

Hiya, you said that it has got worse all of a sudden, have you perhaps had your ears checked?Ear infections can sometimes cause loss of balance and those feelings.If not, join the club!! I get stuck when going over boardwalks(where you can see through the cracks.) Up stairs that you can see through.In fact when going over a bridge on holiday, I was stuck gripping on to the rails for grim death!!!!!!

Fi

I'd check out the ear infection idea - this came on too suddenly and doesn't sound too like a panic attack as you were aware of what you felt the problem was and were able to back out of it even if it was embarrassing

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Zemanski

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions B)

I remember that escalator safety film, it might explain why I've never been that keen on the blooming things (that and the time when I tried to make my young sister get on the bottom of a descending escalator thinking it was going up :oops: )

An ear problem is a definite possibilty as I'm getting over a sore throat.

Another thought is that it could be my glasses, I've reached that age where I need to take my glasses off to see things close up, and I can't seem to switch automatically between close/far focusing (does that make sense ?)

Because I was already nervous about escalators I'm worried that I'll not dare get on another :(

Perhaps I ought to go shopping again today to practice ? :devil:

I think I'll start off with going up, it's not quite so scary,

Thanks for reading my ramblings,

wac :hypno:

Oh yes your glasses could be part of it. I have had this sort of rection with mine too and sometimes I've felt like I'm walking on sponge my balance is so affected. I do hope you sort it out.

(I'm very glad they don't show the escalator ad anymore, I still have nightmares over it!)

I know a few people who've had a sudden onset of vertigo recently, probably due to an inner ear infection? Best get it checked out.

When I was pregnant with my second I couldnt walk through shops with strip lights because they made me giddy - not quite the same I know!

I too have ocd and am really rubbish on esculaters.it takes me ages to step on the things.I cant quite see the connection between the two though.i also have mild aspergers, still don't understand why they should be a problem though!!

I've also been through this one. I used to find it hard to judge when to step on an escalator and had a fear of falling. I was ok going up but couldn't come down. Also have the same problem with those horrible stairs with gaps in. I feel like i can't judge them properly and I feel light headed.

I have overcome the escalators but not the stairs with gaps. :wacko:

So, I'm not alone in feeling like this then :lol:

I'm quite reassured by how common this problem seems to be, I feel a bit self-obsessed getting into a state about it :blink:

I'll be avoiding Woolies for a while, need to find a pathetically slow elevator before I dare try down again ( I have had to edit that sentence, it sounded toooo bad) :oops:

Thanks,

wac

Edited by waccoe