Sign in to follow this  
LKS

Advice please

I have previously posted about the lack of info. I'm given regarding my daughter's attainment levels. I had a very distressing conversation with the E.P. in which she questioned what good it would do for me to have that inforamation :wacko: Anyway I wrote to the head asking for a copy of what I required as it had not been filled in on the report after the annual review. I also asked the SN officer at the LEA what information they had been provided with by the school, she said it was difficult for her to get involved in school matters :blink: and that I should contact parent partnership if I was having difficulties. Anyway I've had a note from the Senco today to ask me to go in so that she can explain to me what I feel I need to know. She would also like the E.P. to be present. I'm sorry but I feel very uncomfortable going in with Hinge and Bracket ganged up against me. I am going to see if anyone from PP is available but I don't think they will treat this as an urgent matter. I don't really need the levels explained to me, a friend in education has already given me up to date info. on what a child is supposed to be achieving at each level and I also have the printout given to me by the infant head. All I want to know is what level she is currently working at. They had mentioned P levels in the past but from what I know of my daughter she is working above these now.I just feel I am going to be subjected to another lecture from the E.P at how wonderful the school are at including my daughter and the Senco will sit there twiddling her pearls! Am I being a coward? Sometimes I don't feel strong enough to go in there on my own.

LKS,

Once a parent has made a written request to view their child's school/SEN record the school has a certain amount to time to provide that information.

Just write a short note back to the Senco saying that you already know what P levels mean, that this isn't the information that you originally requested.

Go over the Senco's head and write to the headteacher for permission to view/possibly photocopy your daughter's SEN file, a record of her attainment levels ought to be in the file.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/c...rds/index.shtml

You have a PM. Basicaly: Sod the school and SN officer they have mucked you about long enough. Go over their heads to the LEA. If they won't sort this then contact the DfES and ask to speak to someone there. Enough is enough!

You could write back thanking them for their kind offer, but saying that you feel you will be able to understand these results as you have a professional friend who is advising you, and that if you find that you do not understand something, you will contact her again.

I hate going into meetings where they start talking about something I have not had a chance to read before hand. You do not know what you know or don't know til you have had a chance to think about it.

Karen

Just had an e=mail from the senior special needs officer at our LEA. She apologies about me having such difficulty obtaining the information I require. She said she will look into the matter straight away and get back to me a.s.a.p. I did ask in my letter what levels of attainment the school had provided the LEA with regarding my daughter. Probably diddly squat. Its comforting to know isn't it that the LEA takes such a lot of interest in the progress our children make.

Sorry me again. Senco nabbed me in the playground and asked can I come in and see her with the E.P. next thursday just before I pick daughter up if I can't make 1. I told her sorry but I have plans. She said when can you see us then. I said what do you want to see me for, she said to explain these levels that we have had prepared for at least a month(yeah right :wacko: )I told her I didn't really need them explained. She said well she is between levels in certain subjects, well of course she would be, she will have passed one level and be working her way towards the next I would hope. So I said I am more than happy for you to put what I have asked for in writing, She said I would prefer to explain, blood out of a stone springs to mind. I am not prepared to go in to see her for one of her informal meetings. What next?

Get hold of someone to go with you - preferably an ISPEA or PPS (if yours are worth asking) type someone and arrange a meeting at your convienence. It sounds like your persistance in this is finally paying off. Just seems ###### ridiculous you have had to go to these lengths.