Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

hello

hi everyone,my names lynda and i live in cumbria,i have 3 daughters and have known something wasnt quite right with my youngest india rose since she was about 8 months old,shes now 3 years and 4 months and has been being assessed at our local child development unit,she has only had 3 sessions there and an assessment at nursery,i went to see her consultant yesterday and they have given me a diagnosis of definate asd and they are 95% sure it is aspergers syndrome,i have a 13 yr old nephew with aspergers and they seem to think there is a genetic link,They said she is high functioning,with the emphasis being on her social skills and awareness,and i am getting alot of input for her in the way of educational support and courses for me to learn strategys to deal with her challenging behaviour,which include obsessions,rituals and awful tantrums,very 1 way thinking and some sensory issues,so i am dissapointed to say the least that my child has to live with this but also quite relieved that they took me seriously and india is going to get all the help that she needs. :)

hi ceecee,thanks for your welcome,yes it is a beautiful name thanks and shes a beautiful girl too!!it will be good to talk to others in the same boat. :)

I personally can't help you too much only offer a sympatheteic ear.I dont have any children on the spectrum.I have a daughter of nearly nine and a son of three.My daughter suffered a really bad reaction to an mmr vaccination booster.This left her severely autistic for six months but I am happy to report she made a full recovery.I myself have quite recently realised that I have mild AS.Not sure if it would be enough if I wanted to get an actual diagnosis though.I also have ocd.Pleased to meet you and welcome to the forum.

Sorry forgot to add.There is many people on here myself included who believe there is a genetic link involved.I am sure many people will offer you their advice and support.

that must have been an awful time for you,you must be so relieved she's recovered,i do believe there is a genetic link too,if i look at several family members i can see displays of mild asd,with my nephew it was difficult to get a diagnosis for him as he suffered kidney failure and a heart attack at 14 months and we all put his problems down to his brain being deprived of oxygen but all scans have showed no signs of damage,so it must have been there already,but talking to the consultant yesterday she believes that something happens to switch the asd/aspergers/autism on in these kids,and i think my nephews trauma probably started his and made it worse as he's quite badly affected,and has dyspraxia and semantic pragmatic speech disorder also,whereas my daughters speech is good and has no trouble with eye contact,she is quite clumsy so maybe has dyspraxia in there somewhere as well,im sure only time will tell.

Hi Lynda,

Welcome >:D<<'>

I have a seven yr old son ASD.

It's good that you are already recieving support early on.

There is lots of support and advice on here, also quite a few laughs.

Brook :)

Edited by Brook

Hello and welcome!

As you know from my thread on Help/advice we just got our formal diagnosis for our 4 yr old yesterday. Your little one sounds quite simialr to my son in some respects. Glad you are getting support, we're finding it is making a difference

Take care

Liz x

Hi Lynda,

Welcome :thumbs:

Plenty of sympathetic ears here and loads of fun and advice too.

My 9 year old son has AS, the one above him, I'm beginning to suspect has a milder form of it, the other three are NT.

Daisy

Hi Lynda and welcome to the forum. I have found this place to be a great source of support and information for managing my son. He is 6yrs old and was diagnosed HFA 2 wks ago.

Edited by Tylers-mum

hi girls!thanks for all your welcomes,im not so new to aspergers but its always different when its your own child thats affected,im looking forward to getting to know you all!

lynda x

Like your daughter i have no problems with eye contact but like her I still have as.Not usually clumsy though as you say your dayghter is.last weekend I was away staying at a posh hotel in London and managed to bump into a chair in the middle of the night and bashed my toe which is now turning nicely black.I think i turned the air blue!!!Ouch even the thought of it makes me wince!!!

Anway glad you are getting lots of support within the forum.they are a friendly supportive bunch on here.