Sign in to follow this  
laine

fussy eating

Hi laine,

when my son was in school he took exactly the same lunch day in day out, if I ever

mentioned taking something else he would get really upset.

Brook

packed lunches are a nightmare arent they?! my boy (AS) is currently only eating stewed apple, chips or biscuits - not very lunchbox friendly!! my daughter (NT) I've put onto school dinners as I am finding she will try much more at school than she would for me. I still give her another full dinner in the evening so that if she doesnt eat very much she still gets some calories.

Sometimes you just have to do what it takes to keep yourself sane! Is your child motivated by anything in particular? We have star charts galore in this house - the current one has a snail going up a path as it earns stars and ends up at a poster to represent a day trip to the oceanarium. When that doesnt work sometimes 10p for every new thing tried going into a pot ready for Christmas shopping (my daughter just loves money....!)

If you get your child to try one new thing a month, thats progress - I do feel for you though, its very wearing preparing endless healthy meals and then scraping them into the bin!

>:D<<'> a few of these >:D<<'>

Yep, sure have!! Many children I have worked with have the same lunch - provides continuity in an often confusing day - at least when you open the box you know what's inside - no changes = no confusion = no problems. And in the grand scheme of things does it really matter? Mostly I think not, there are better battles to fight I'm sure. My own son, 19 now and NT, ate a jam sandwich everyday four 4 years, then in secondary changed to cheese for 5 yrs. That's all he had, one sandwich, well who am I to say he must eat more/different? Love Kat

My son has had the same daily since putting him on lunches but now he's coming up 7 and starting to ask for different items, still has to have the same amount and some specififc things but he's changed from pink crisps to skips (yes I know same flavour but its a change) and from jaffa cakes to mini cookies. He hardly ever eats any of it anyway but I find it easier to keep this part of his life the same as he depends on it.

Edited by lil_me

I'm 24 and I eat the same sandwiches for lunch every day :unsure:

It does tend to change from time to time, but I've been eating sandwiches of tuna, cheese and tomato puree for about 3 years now.

I like it better now that I make it myself, since I know exactly what to expect.

Edited by Tally

my 6 year old has eaten the same packed lunch since nursey.  Just wondered has anyone else encountered this.

I hope you mean he eats the same stuff every day, not that he takes in a mouldy box of penecillin each morning and brings it home again at night ;):lol:

Seriously, I'd only worry if he's NOT eating it, or if it's an ESPECIALLY unhealthy variety pack...

For many kids with ASD it's a case of 'No change is sexy' (old Jah Wobble track ;) )

You could try juggling one item at a time occassionally, but if this causes 'meltdowns' I'd just leave it be and try to negotiate possible alternatives on home turf...

L&P

BD :D

Hi Laine and Welcome >:D<<'>

Yup, same here as well :blink: My son ate nothing but Jam sandwiches for lunch for the first four years of his life.... He's now progressed onto ham OR jam (maybe they have to rhyme ??!! :lol: ).

I really wouldn't worry too much about it - as long as your little ones happy, that's the main thing.

>:D<<'>

My daughter(N.T.) ate a total of about five things until she was seven.

1.Little sausages

2.Marmite sandwiches

3.Chocolate

4.smiley faces

5.Dry bread

not all mixed together :lol:

Every year for christmas dinner she would only eat yorkshire pudding!

Now at nearly nine she will try anything.

My son at three(N.T.)will eat

1.Jam sandwiches by the bucketful

2.Fishfingers

3.Smiley faces but providing they are not on the plate with anything he likes better.

4.Frosties

5.Jaffa cakes but not if they've got squashed.

This time round I've taken no notice and I know he will grow out of it just like my daughter.

Too many dinnertimes were spent with my husband yelling at her stop examining your dinner and eat it.It really drove us mad.But there is light at the end of the tunnel, honest.Dont worry about it more important things to worry about. :)

I love cheese & tomato snadwiches, and rarely have sandwiches with any other filling . Yes, I have AS.

I'm am also vegetarian, and like simple food. I can't see the 'fuss' about cookng,and don't 'get' the foodie culture at all.

Interestingly, my son, who also has AS, is also a vegetarian, though this is nothing to do with me. He saw a programme on TV about factory farming, and made his own mind up. He has't eaten meat for over 3 years now.

By contrast, my wife (who probably has AS, but undiagnosed) is an avid meat - eater, and likes fancy food!

My girlfried (mid 20's AS) only eats toast, chips, apples, fish fingers, chicken pasta pots, mash potato, twirls, carrots (uncooked and grated) and only drinks blackcurrent. That is it. She has been like that for years. Sometimes she will try things but not very often. Oh well makes shopping easy!! :rolleyes:

I think any time spent coaxing on food is re-inforcing undesirable behaviour, so in our house it goes on a plate, is put in front of them and gets taken away if they don't eat it. No alternative apart from fruit provided. They eat just about anything.

my 6 year old has eaten the same packed lunch since nursey. Just wondered has anyone else encountered this.

my daughter is the same she is 6 she was breastfeed untill she was 2 years 7 months would not eat solid food only 1 baby jar desert the same all the time know she only eat the same food evey day and still the baby food i got 5 children and the other 4 ate eveything going all the best jill