Sign in to follow this  
bid

Eczema...

Hi all,

I get eczema, and I'm having a problem with washing powder, so any ideas very gratefully received!

I think the powder I've used for years with no problem might have changed a bit, as at the moment I'm plagued with eczema where my clothes particularly touch my skin (ankles from socks, etc).

I've changed to a brand that's always been good for such emergencies in the past (the non-bio one with the baby ;) ), but my eczema is still driving me up the wall.

I don't know if this is because I need to wash all my clothes a few times in the new powder, or because it too is causing problems :unsure:

Can anyone recommend a really eczema-friendly powder?? Probably better PM me so that you don't advertise the name!

Thanks in advance :pray:

Bid (sadly there isn't an itchy emoticon :( )

There's a less toxic/more environmentally friendly powder available, which is phosphate free and fragrance free, and free of "optical brighteners" which apparently irreversibly bond with the skin (presumably until the skin falls off?? :unsure: ). I've used that - starts with an E available in supermarkets normally or try a health food shop (will pm name).

I am using washing balls at the moment, which don't use soap powder at all. Will pm you the link as well if you are interested.

I won't use any "normal" soap powder at all, or fabric softeners etc. Too many dodgy chemicals. :wacko: I've seen a type of eczema on a child clear up just from changing to a non toxic bubble bath. B)

Ooooh, thanks...I'd forgotten about the washing ball thingys!

I know where to get them, so think I'll send for one!

Cheers :thumbs:

Bid :)

I have had eczema all my life and so has my brother we have always used the non-bio powders if we use anything else we certaintly no it :wacko: also dont use fabric conditions or change your soaps the one i use is parmolive it is brill :wub:

jayne xx

Edited by jayjay

I always use non-bio and no conditioner, JJ, so don't know what's gone wrong this time... :(

They may have changed the formula, but the non bios still contain chemicals its best to avoid, even without eczema. Same with a lot of the hyperallogenic soaps, no sting baby shampoos...etc .... :angry: I can feel a rant coming on...... :wallbash:

Hi Annie

We also use Surcare for our washing and also their washing up liquid as both Matthew and David have eczema. It's also done wonders for Terry's hands. He has Raynauds Disease. The only thing is I have an allergy that can be triggered by smells and this really gets my nose going. I totally hate the smell, although everyone else thinks that it's fine :wacko:

Carole

We use Surcare products without any problems.

http://www.surcare.co.uk/

Thanks Annie, :)

I have emailed for ingredients lists for their products. I'm looking for easily obtainable products that don't cause or make eczema worse, and don't cause hyperactivity/sensory problems in some children.

Sue

Hi Bid,

Boots do their own range of non-bio washing powder specially for people with allergies (actually it's a liquid). It's fragrance free and is ok on Kai's skin (he has eczema too).

I don't think Fairy is any good as it smells soooo strong!

If you are still itching, you can buy (or get it on prescription) an excellent bath oil called Balneum Plus (it's very expensive but works). It has an anti-pruritic in it (ie helps relieve itching).

Hope this helps,

Loulou xxx

Hi Bid,

My usual brand of washing powder which Ive been using for 10 years has suddenly become new and improved, not. My husband is now an itchy mass of dry skin.

I think Ill invest in a washboard and head for the nearest river....

Love Lorainexx

I currently use Ariel liquitabs coz:

1. powders (any) give us eczema, even with extra rinsing

2. Ariel liquid sets my skin off occasionally if I spill it

3. Many "sensitive skin" products still make us sore and simply don't get the stains out of clothes (Are we unusually grubby?!)

4.wash balls didn't get the job done either (We do change our clothes daily... Honest!!! :lol: )

The Ariel liquitabs get the job done and wash out really well (although I do have a super-duper washing machine nowadays) and I can handle them with bare (dry) hands without reacting at all. I use all formulae available, depending on what wash I'm doing eg colour or non-bio etc

The worst offender for us is "Fairy"... in any form.

I also react to most (dish)washing up liquids, even if I wear protective gloves, which is a bit inconvenient! I now use "Galaxy washing up liquid" which was, until I looked recently, stocked by Sainsbury. Goodness knows what I'll use if it is no longer made/stocked. I can't get on with the "sensitive skin" ones that might be substitutes.

Also in my cupboards are supplies of a product called "Dermashield", a barrier cream, which is great for applying before any job like handling oil/paint etc. I buy 3 at a time from Goldshield Healthcare (mail order) and it lasts me for ages. When the time comes, I'll give the TAs a supply for applying pre science (esp chemistry) lessons for eldest son as a "precaution".

Now that I've been off the dairy foods for some time, it's clear that the dairy was making me even more sensitive to all the above products in some way. I've been clear of hand rashes for ages now.

VS xx

We use ecover, and it seems OK.

Both my daughter and I suffer from eczema. I'm having a tough time of it now but it always seems worse at this time of year.

Edited by Kathryn