Sign in to follow this  
Kerre

Getting a hamster.

My DD had a goldfish called Sushi. :lol: I used to have a cat called Boot after the newapaper cartoon strip character in "the Perishers" and he got kicked in the head causing him to loose his eye. (there are some evil people out there) shame he lived up to his name. As for really obvious names I had a cat called Puss and one called Tom.

Viper.

A couple of years ago I bought a "male" hamster. Got home and i said to my husband that i was sure it was a female one. Sure enough it was a female hamster and a little while later , the hamster who I called Lucy presented me with 9 baby hamsters........................I phoned pet shop and they agreed to take the babies back - however, Lucy decided to eat some of the babies - which was really horrible though perfectly natural in the hamster world! Was left with 4 babies and i didn't have the heart to get rid of them.

I have had quite a few hamsters in my time - here are some of there names:-

Harvey

Spikey

Can't remember the names of the others and yes i have got quite a few used hamster cages in my shed now and some chewed carpets!

Used to have a fishes called Maxwell and Barney - but my son killed them with the dishwater........................

Forbsay

xx

hi

My youngest ds has just bought himself an hamster and he calls it Hamtaro from the cartoon series.He s taken a bit of settling in, he s very fidgetty and nervy and tries to esacape all the time,the guy at the shop says they sometimes take a while to settle in handle them a lot to get used to it. J bought a nice house for his hamsters cage and it dragged all the beddding out and piled it and the sawdust in a corner and slept in that lol. we think dh had over filled it with bedding as since ds changed it he s been sleeping in there, he is often found hanging upside down from the bar son the cage top maybe we should have bought a plastic enclosed one with hindsight as he keeps throwing all his sawdust out lol.If you want some toys for your hamster take a look at ebay. lynn

But it's only Monday :lol:

What a brilliant name, I bet it just came to you when you saw him.

How could any animal who is wanted as much as Finnegan not be happy? I am sure you will give him everything he needs and more, just have fun with him but give him time to settle don't fuss over him too much to start with. A good tip I found was give him toilet roll tubes, the love em. Oh and don't try to touch him while he is asleep or he will get a fright and is likely to bite in self defence.

I know you will make a good Hamster Daddy. B)

Viper.

kerre, I'm sure you know this already; but hamsters are nocturnal... so don't have him in your bedroom at night, his chewing will drive you bonkers and keep you awake (not a problem with us though, we are often awake at night anyway... may be you are too?? ! :lol:

Love the name btw.

Lauren

More hamster news *woop woop*

Finn seems fine. He bit me yesterday but that's probably out of exploration more than anything. Mum discovered he likes sunflower seeds. So I'm going to offer him sunflower seeds when he's awaker, but not too many or he'll be fat :lol: I'm sure he'll be awesome.

Kerre,

Glad to hear Finnegan is happy and settling in to his new home. I hope you and Finn have many happy times together.

Great name B)

Nellie xx

If it's a Syrian or Golden Hamster, it should have been called Aslan, after the Lion in Narnia.

Finnegan is ok I suppose, but a black and white one should be called Mojo Stormstout, after my drinking Panda.

Fred - anything we can't think of a name for gets Fred, inc 4 fish and a female dwarf rabbit

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

When my sister (child number 4) was born my mum couldn't think of a name for her for ages. She was called "Fred" for a while!

Daisy

Okay, Finn is wondering around, and I can stroke him gently. He has a habit of feeling my fingers with his teeth, but if he was really having a go he'd bite harder. So, I can stroke him, and offer him seeds, but what do I do now?

Hamstery goodness updates: We tried picking him up. First, Mum held him with gloves and I stroked him, but he jumped like a loon and landed in his cage again. Then we tried again because you're supposed to, and he was OK. Then Mum took off a glove and he didn't try to bite. Then I had a go with one gloved and one bare hand. He didn't bite me either :thumbs:

B) , Glad he did,nt bite.I guess the more he is handled the easier and calmer he will be.I had a lovely bunny called Barty as a child, he lived semi in the house, and was very tame.He came when you called his name and jumped and ran round your feet in a very fast circle when he was excited :rolleyes: .He made funny buzzy noises and nuzzled you as well, I think he thought he was a dog :) , he was great B)