Sign in to follow this  
nellie

DfES acts forcefully to police LEA

Thank you Tez for bringing this to our attention.

IPSEA welcomes Secretary of State's action to curb widespread abuse of the SEN system by LEAs

For years IPSEA and many other organisations and individuals have been reporting their concerns to the DfES about widespread and deliberate failures by LEAs across the country to carry out their job properly in providing for children with Special Educational Needs.

The SEN and Disability Division of the DfES have now stepped in to advise all Chief Education Officers and Directors of Children's Services.

You can find details and the response letter from the DfES here.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/pr-dfes-nov05-ketter2leas.htm

I've printed this out and added to my pile of stuff to take to a meeting with my LEA and school tomorrow.

Brilliant.

Lauren

Jaded - this could be a massive thanks for the information.

I have already contacted SEN operations at the Dfes and they would like my paperwork to confirm that my LEA broke the law on a number of occasions.

I did explain that we ended up at Tribunal and we did not win, but that does not seem to be binding if they have broken the law.

I have been assured that they will look at the case objectively. The lady has told me that her job is to look at these cases objectively.

I will keep you posted - although it will probably be months away.

Love

Helen

I have to thank my IPSEA helper for emailing me the link to this to help in my negoiations with the LEA. Have to say though, A's proposed statement was issued some days after this letter was circulated to LEAs and it still does not clearly specify and quantify so I don't know how much easier it will make things for parents.

Helenl53 - good luck, hopefully you'll get the tribunal decision overturned and your son's schooling paid for. :pray:

When considering possible schools for the child, they must bear in mind that the child must be educated in a mainstream school, unless this would be incompatible with the parent's wishes or the efficient education of the other children and there are no reasonable steps that could be taken to prevent that incompatibility (section 316 of the Act).

This bit concerns me though. To me it sounds as if they will put a child in mainstream, almost no matter what, as (in my view) to the LEA any tiny step magically makes things 'compatible'. This doesn't sound like it is very easy to get one's child into a special school.