Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Need another 'quotable' for school....

Hi,

My son's school just don't seem to grasp the fact that he is unable to remember and tell me information...

Several things have happened over the months, school trip, outings, etc.... They tell the children - and feel it is the child's responsibility to tell the parents.

Obviously - my litlle one never does - HE IS UNABLE TOOOOOOOO !!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: (can you sense a hint of frustration.....)

Yet again, today i took him to school and found out once there, that the children were having a pretend sleep-over in class this afternoon as a class treat. Now, above and beyond the fact that yet another change in routine hasn't been mentioned to me ($$��&&&**( :angry::wallbash: ) - the teacher said something along the line of "Oh well M, if you cant remember.... you can't do it". Even the SNA said "maybe that will be a leson learned for you young man". He had no idea :(:tearful:

I need something solid - ie; something i can print off - that describes the difficulties children with ASDs have with this kind of thing.......

Any ideas :pray::pray:

Oh hun, I cant believe the school are still being like this (well, actually, I think I can, but I don't want to...)

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you are after, but the NAS website has an area dedicated to the education sector - Is there anything on there you can print off/Quote?

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=129

Be careful how you speak

Avoid sarcastic language, metaphorical speech or exaggeration, both when you are speaking to the child and to the class as a whole. Always be aware of what you are saying and how it might be misunderstood by the child. His/her understanding is likely to be literal.

Continually check the child is listening and understanding and don't be afraid to repeat what you have said, if you don't think they have understood the first time.

When you are talking to a group, make sure you have the child's attention. Young children especially may not understand that they are included, so you may need to address them by name or talk first to them alone, then to the whole class.

Most of us shut off if we listen to a foreign language we don't understand. A child with autism is the same: if one or two sentences go over their head, they shut off. You need to keep checking that they are listening and understanding. Be aware of your own language.

Angela Dyer, Essex advisory teacher of special needs

By the time you get to Junior School, many teachers are being sarcastic and jostling with the children. The autistic person takes them literally. One child was in the swimming pool when the instructor said 'put your head on the side' and he literally thought that's what he meant take your head off and put it on the side.

Angela Dyer, Essex advisory teacher of special needs

This is a quote from here.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=129&a=2230

Like I said, this probably isn't what you are looking for at all. so feel free to ignore it.

Hi Smiley,

That's a good link that fiorelli has given you. You could point this out to the head,

Guidance on autistic spectrum disorders, by DfES ASD Good Practice Guidance.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=127

although she SHOULD be well aware of it already.

I would also point her in the direction of the Disability Discrimination Act.

"Oh well M, if you cant remember.... you can't do it".
This is discrimination!!!!

http://www.drc-gb.org/index.asp

Nellie xx

Hi all -

fiorelle - can't believe it myself :wallbash: Thank you for the quotes :thumbs:

Nellie - I most certainly have pointed her into the DDA direction...

I printed these...

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/moreno...r_teaching.html

Took a bright yellow highlighter to numbers 1, 3, 4, 9, 12 .........

Then stapled it together with ......

http://jarmin.com/demos/course/senda/04.html

Bright yellow highlighter to the last paragraph. :devil:

We are back to square one (as in how he was a couple of weeks ago) - they are not helping him. I have been told that a TA is now to be his 1-2-1 in the afternoon (unofficially) - he has 1-2-1 in the morning. Why the b***************y h****ll wont they listen to me and help him!!!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::tearful:

Phasmid - I have requested, in writing (again) all this info. The Head was photocopying as i 'reminded' her.........should be with me soon :pray::pray:

Edited by smileymab

Smileymad .. go get 'em girl.

The awkward squad we might be, but we know what we're doing.

Still makes you want to wring their necks though doesn't it ... I hope that the teaching staff have a change of attitude very very quickly.

HHxx

Ask your son's 1:1's if they can start a communication book. It would only take a couple of minutes for them to write down anything important, hardly rocket science, but it would make a big difference.

The comments made by the teacher and SNA prove that they have no understanding at all :wallbash::angry:

Annie

XX

Thank you guys :thumbs:

Annie - the annoying thing is, he has a home/school book and i have to go in every afternoon to get them to fill it in..... So there's really no excuse :wallbash:

HH - Definately akward :devil::devil: Not so sure i know what i'm doing half the time :huh::tearful:

Hiya all,

Bit of an update....

I now have 'all' of M's school records......and i only asked on Monday :o (but then again, it was with acompianing GP report....consultant report...and 'quote' from IPSEA... :whistle::devil: )

There are four IEPs - only one with outcomes.....all irrelevant to M's needs/difficulties....

But i then read the schools SEN policy.... :o ....you ready....... ??

At School Action Plus (which M has been at since Nov 03...) -

"Should there be little or no significant progress while a pupil is at School Action Plus, it may be appropriate to submit evidence to the County Special Needs department to obtain a Statutory Assessment for consideration for a Statement.

This procedure will only be followed if, despite extra support and IEPs - the pupil has made very little progress over a considerable period of time and there is cause for concern among the parents, class teacher and SENCO.

Pupils with specific difficulites will normally be given a Statement of Needs

These pupils include those with;

*Severe learning difficulties.

*Aspergers syndrome ( :blink: )

*Autism"

etc, etc, - You get the picture...............

Can i now hang them with this? :pray::whistle::devil::devil:

Smileymab, yep you ca hang 'em out to dry with that!!!!

And you do know your stuff cos you come here :wub:

I would suggest and urgent meeting with the SENCO and HT with regard to what you have just found out, and possibly write a letter to the director of education at the LEA as well, the school have acted against their own SEN COP ... naughty naughty ... it just goes to show, once you know the system you CAN get it to work for you.

Good luck, HHxx

Smileymab

They sound useless!

Why not take things out of their hands and write to the Local Education Authority with a parental request for statutory assessment for a statement of special educational needs?

This means that the LEA have to get involved, request reports etc (including from you) and decide whether or not to assess. You have a right of appeal if they decide not to assess.

Can i now hang them with this?

You will be able to rattle their cage big time with it if nothing else (because of the word 'normally' being in the following "Pupils with specific difficulites will normally be given a Statement of Needs")

....failure to follow their own policies? :shame::shame::shame:

Edited by phasmid

I'm not even sure how they can say

"Pupils with specific difficulites will normally be given a Statement of Needs

These pupils include those with;

*Severe learning difficulties.

*Aspergers syndrome

*Autism"

in their policy as statementing is outside the school's jurisdiction. Sounds like the policy is just a waste of space. I wonder when it was last updated? Should be annually, I think. :devil:

Edited by jomica

Jomica - Last updated 2003 - with the old heads name (she left over a year ago...) as the SENCO.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr - increadably hacked off.

We had a parents open session for 20 minutes this afternoon - M hasn't put pen to paper since september....... there was simply nothing in any book i found ............... Glorified babysitting service me thinks.....

Time to pull up sleves, get out boxing gloves and request a statement........ :angry:

:wallbash:

Smiley,

M hasn't put pen to paper since september....... there was simply nothing in any book i found ............... Glorified babysitting service me thinks.....

What are the 1:1's employed to do then ??????????? :angry:

Get that request for assessment in quick. I'd start looking at other school too, if I was you.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Annie - there was a little tub with pieces of paper in it - this apparently, is M's work with his 1-2-1. But not one of the pieces of paper had his writing/colouring etc. All adult.

I've found out (via a 'friend' at school :devil: ) That most, if not all of his afternoons are spent either in the heads room or in the library, playing with lego...

He has been said to have a high IQ (about 130), is it any wonder he's had such a terrible term...... he hasn't done anything - it must be driving him nuts!! At home he loves to colour, write stories etc...

For this bit of the request, what should i put??

"My reasons for believing that the school cannot on their own make the provision required to meet my child?s needs are"

Simple.

From what you say they have given you the grounds today. I would ask for an assesment of needs to be carried out and cite the work he has done this term as the reason.

One of you lurvely :wub: people (you know who you are ;) thank you) has PM'd me their request for stat asessment.

Any more would be reeeeaaalllllly appreciated!! (especially from one around my little monkeys age - 6)

I'm great at these icky forms - once i have a starting block and have got on my soapbox!!

Thank you :pray: