Sign in to follow this  
bevalee

Help Needed Please

My son R is at a residential school in Somerset. He is suffering from really bad depression. Crying all of the time, nightmares about me passing away, panic attacks and he wants to kill himself.

Camhs in Somerset won't see him. The GP attached to the school referred him to our local service and we had our appointment today.

Basically they agree that he should have medication, but they want to see him twice a week, which is impossible being in a residential school in Somerset. They also say that he needs to be re-assessed because they do not agree with his dx.

I am so 'P****d o**' with the whole system, i just don't know what to do anymore! :wallbash::wallbash:

Bevalee,

if your son is having a bad depression he needs help immediately! There is something that is definitely not working for him and his panic atacks and nightmares are a cry for help. My son was very depressed too months ago, not in a residential school, and what worked for him was giving him more support and sorting out the problem at school (it was bullying). Sorry I have no better ideas, other than going to the school, seeing you son and talking to the teachers.

good luck >:D<<'>

Gloria

Hi Gloria

The school are being very good, i really can't complain about thier support at all.

R is happy there, but its a fear of those he love's being dead and leaving him all alone.

I just don't see how 'nobody' on the NHS can support him through this unless i pay privately and i just don't have the fund's to do that!

This is a long shot Bevalee but what about going to see your MP about this? Here is a child in distress stuck in the midhle of a war about 'who' is responsible for the provision that he requires right now!

Also do you have a Princess Royal Carers Centre anywhere near you who could help with this? Or what about Social Services? I know that I am grasping at straws but there has to be someone who can help your son now?

Did camhs give an indication of how long they would need to see your son twice weekly? And if they questioned the dx do they have any thoughts about what the problem may be?

I assume that it would not be possible to keep him at home for a few weeks while this is sorted out? Not that you should have to even consider this.

>:D<<'> Carole

Bevalee

I'm so sorry that CAMHS are not being more helpful - it sounds to me like they think some kind of therapy will suffice.

Would it be at all possible for your son's school to write to them about your son and request an appointment with a consultant psychiatrist with a view to medication that they could monitor?

I find it peculiar that they want to see him twice a week - where I am you're lucky if you get to see someone twice a year! As I say, I can only think that they think it may be appropriate to give him counselling - but, presumably, he gets that at school?

I hope you manage to get this sorted asap.

Barefoot

Sorry that yet again these kids are being let down. I dont have any advice but i will send my thoughts and love to you and youres take care and good luck. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Bevalee,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It seems bizarre that you have been referred to your local service. Why won't Somerset Camhs see him?

Bevalee,

Although your son is in residential school I believe it's your local authority who is responsible for him they should ensure that all your sons needs are being met.

I could be wrong, I will try and check it out. IPSEA should have an answer, it might be worth giving them a ring.

Nellie xx

bevalee

I seem to recall at a CAMHS meeting once that the Director of my local service said that they did see clients who were at residential schools within the county but billed the local authority where the child lived.

Hi Bev,

I hope you get all the help you need for your lad, and soon.

Just a thought, not a permanent answer but it may help relieve his anxieties a little.If he has access to a computer could you set up a web cam so that he could see you all at home anytime he feels the need?

Take care

Love Loraine x