Sign in to follow this  
LKS

no copy of e-mail yet

As some of you know I am waiting for a copy of an e-mail with some inappropriate comments made by certain members of staff. Despite writing to the head on friday thanking him for the copies of paperwork already provided but pointing out that the copy of the e-mail I requested was not there, there has been no response. I copied the COG and my SNO at the LEA. It is very difficult for me to go into the school office as one of the people concerned is the school secretary :wacko: Besides I want any responses in writing. How much longer do you think I should give them?

I think that by the end of today that they have had more than enough time to produce a copy of the e-mail. If you have nothing by tomorrow morning then I would be writing again reminding them and possibily saying that you would expect to have a copy of the mail by the end of Friday. That would be a full week - how long can it take? It may be that they are waiting to either pass on or for a response from the COG? But even if this is the case they should have at least informed you of this.

Carole

It is very difficult for me to go into the school office as one of the people concerned is the school secretary  :wacko: Besides I want any responses in writing. How much longer do you think I should give them?

We have a complaint in to the governing body, which has escalated beyond belief, and now looks like going to LEA panel :wacko: The biggest problem is that we are now also complaining about the clerk to the governors, who is also the school secretary. Mishandling of the complaints procedure etc etc conflict of interest :wallbash:

Fortunately my husband is happy to go into the school office and ask for copies of anything. I am a nervous wobbling wreck about it all. :crying::wacko:

He would politely ask in writing for what he wants, ask them to send it, or that if more convenient he will be in at (time) to collect it. He doesn't seem to get embarrassed, they know he means it. :devil:

If you are worried about going in yourself, is there anyone who would go in and collect it for you? You could then politely write and say that you are still waiting for it, and that if it hasn't come by (date) then (person) will be happy to call in to collect it on your behalf. You need someone who, if they turned up and were fobbed off, would be happy to sit themselves down and say "I'll wait"

The way we feel about the school, and the LEA at the moment, if you were within 50 miles my husband would probably offer to go in and collect it for you. :devil:

Suze 1957 :lol::lol: What a brilliant idea to have someone sit in the office until it is handed over. There is a horrible atmosphere in school at the moment and I'm feeling a little sensitive to be dealing with it. Helen I have a contact at the commissioners office now and have e-mailed her to see what the position is.

Suze 1957 : There is a horrible atmosphere in school at the moment and I'm feeling a little sensitive to be dealing with it.

I know what you mean about atmosphere, but fortunately my husband doesn't seem to notice! He was even able to go and help at the Xmas fair, I had to stay at home, I just couldn't face the thought of it. :crying: He is able to separate the issue and he can "compartmentalize" it as he calls it and carries on regardless. (Able to compartmentalise or thick skinned, not sure which! :lol: ) The HT was the one who left early, before he had to go and draw the raffle, which my husband was organising :lol:

We wrote to the governing body about the school's interpretation of the holiday in term time, which doesn't match county guidelines. The HT refused to consider any at all. Just said no outright. We then pointed out that we fulfil the criteria to be able to go, but instead of authorising 10 and leaving one unauthorised (we need 11 days not 10 because of flights) if we go we will be reported to the educational social worker. Because we wrote to the governing body, he then refused to talk to us about an unrelated matter without the chair of governors present and said that could only be at 8.30 in the morning, or late on a Friday afternoon because of the chair's working commitments.

We then had to contact the school about a bullying incident at swimming and were told the HT was away, and it would have to wait til the following week til he was back and could arrange a suitable appointment (presumably at 8.30 in the morning or late on a Friday afternoon with the chair present). :wallbash:

My husband emailed back and said an incident of bullying could not wait a week, and that they could give a suitable time for them, but that if more convenient he would be in after school and would wait til someone would see him. The deputy saw us (without the chair being present).

But the school secretary is also clerk to the governors, and discussed our original complaint with staff at the school, and then allowed it to be discussed at a full governors meeting, so the complaints panel cannot be seen as unbiased, and the clerk would presumably normally minute the complaints panel meeting. So that's now the subject of a second complaint. :wallbash:

Our correspondance to the school and the LEA about the mishandling of the original complaint has resulted in other concerns being raised, and we have been told by the LEA and the chair that we need to address these separately with the HT as they weren't the subject of the original complaint letter. So we are doing as we are told. :devil: One letter at a time. :devil: And offering to go in for a chat with the HT, with the chair present, when convenient, for each and every one. :devil:

The atmosphere is likely to get a lot worse. :devil::wacko:

Edited by sue1957

Sue what a complete nightmare :o It always helps if at least one of the parents can remain a bit removed from it all, but my husband just gets incredibly angry. Saw the senco in the playground today and she scurried away as quickly as she could. Still no sign of e-mail at end of today. Am waiting reply from commissioners office this is all beginning to stink a bit. I do not see how they can refuse to give me a copy of something that was on my daughters school record just because it casts their staff in an unfavourable light, imagine if we could all remove items concerning our children they wouldn't allow that. Yet again this b****y school dragging its feet and being awkward :wallbash:

my husband just gets incredibly angry.

Doesn't need to be your husband ;)

Can you find someone else who would stay completely calm but be prepared to park themselves til they get the email? You could write and say that you haven't yet had the copy of the email, and would like it by (date). If it hasn't arrived by then, then my representative (Name) will call in on (date and time) to collect it.

They can then just go in, politely ask for it, and any problems just take a seat and say they'll wait for it. The representative either leaves with the copy email, or a letter from the school explaining why they have refused to hand it over. (Difficult if you are entitled to it? Will they want to say in writing they've lost confidential paperwork or destroyed it :devil: )

Letters get ignored, nobody rings you back when you phone, but someone calling in to collect something on your behalf, when you are entitled to it and have given proper notice..... Much more difficult to wriggle out off. :devil:

Might be worth a try. Know anyone who could be your representative?

I would take in a letter tomorrow instructing them as follows:

Re: (Your daughters name), copy of defaced e-mail from (Name) to (name) sent on (date) as seen on (date).

Further to our previous communication. Despite a further request to produce a copy of the above e-mail I have yet to be supplied with such. Please produce the copy of this e-mail by lunchtime when Iwill return to school to collect it. Please find enclosed the sum of (10p/whatever) to cover the cost of copying. Please note: if this copy fails to appear I will be taking any further steps I feel are required in order for it to be supplied forthwith, this will include contacting:

The LEA

The DfES

The Information Commisioner

Dont sign it just head it as above. To hammer the point home you could insert the contact details of the above people/organisations.

Thanks Phas. I have tried to be patient but they only needed a day to copy the other paperwork so obviously they have a problem with the copy of the e-mail. I do appreciate the head writing a letter of apology but feel his reluctance to give me a copy of the e-mail or even say why there might be a delay in copying me unacceptable. If I send in a letter and sit in the office until they give me a copy surely they will have to respond then, won't they :wacko:

If your up for this it will work. I had advised one parent (who was after copies of a schools SEN and behaviour policies) to hand in a letter (the 3rd or 4th) asking for them. They were, again, refused. So she stood there and phoned the LEA and then the DfES who both telephoned the school while she stood there and TOLD them to give them to her "Right now!" They did!

So do the same thing. Have the LEA advisors number and the relevent DfES dept in your phone and if they refuse to hand you a copy of this e-mail phone them, tell them where you are, what you want and why. Then give them the school number....sit back and wait for action!

Just spoken to the information commissioners office and it appears there might be a problem :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Unless I applied for information under subject access of the data protection act they do not have to provide me with copies of items unless they are relevant to my daughters education :angry: I hope the school don't check :devil: The COG has also e-mailed me today to say that she will have an answer for me today. I don't think this is right about the records though because if there is information that is not relevant to your child's education it shouldn't be there :wallbash: Anyway I'm sure the head will come out the eventual winner here :crying:

Sorry me again! There were 2 letters waiting for me at end of school day. First was from the COG it says

Dear ****Thankyou for the copies of your recent correspondance with Mr. ***** regarding sen files. With regard to your request for a copy of the eternal e-mail, Mr ***** is currently seeking advice from the Borough Solicitor :whistle: . I am sure you will appreciate that inappropriate use could be detrimental to the school's reputation and there may also be duties towards the members of staff concerned. I must add that I am not clear why you require a copy, given the full apology you have received from the head. :devil::devil:

2nd letter from head

Dear Mrs ****** I apologise for the delay in sending the final copied document that you have requested. You will appreciate that as there are elements in it of a sensitive nature in relation to a member of staff, I have needed to check with the LEA's legal section. I have today received advice that we may release the document. Please find copy enclosed. Borough solicitor eh they must have been really b****y worried. This piece of info. will now go into my file and I look forward to moving on :)

Well done lks for sticking with this.Pleased it has reached it,s final conclusion..............what was the email about.............was it insulting to you?.......or are you not allowed to say.Just very nosey :devil:

Thanks everyone for all of your support and advice :) Suze if you have the time look on the thread P levels being kept informed, which gives you an idea of where my problem started :angry: The ridiculous thing in all of this is, that if the senco had given me the info. I requested at the beginning I would not have asked to view daughter's files and so would never have seen this offensive e-mail !The fact that a school secretary felt she had the right to, and felt comfortable discussing me like this sums up the attitude of a lot of the staff. I am going to be thinking really hard if this is the school I would like my daughter to continue at. But there is always a chance that I might just swap her to one that is just as bad :wacko: I have now drawn a line under this whole affair, but I won't ever forget.

Welldone. Are you going to explain to the chair why you wanted a copy? :devil:

pumpkinpie I think I just need to let this go now but I shan't tell the school whether I am going to do anything with this e-mail I shall let them stew. The COG sent me an e-mail this morning, thought it was to wish me a merry crimbo :devil: It just said thank you for forwarding copies of the headmasters letter, I have nothing to add to my last letter, and a happy christmas to her to !

I would imagine they will ignore your requests in the hope you will give up.

You need to take control.

Write to the school giving them a date that they have to reply by. Copy this to the governors. Mention in your letter that you have already requested this. In your last paragraph tell them that if you do not receive this by this date you will be taking matters in hand to ensure that you have the response you requested according to your rights.

I would also include a comment along the lines of

...It would appear to me that this matter has been disregarded as unimportant and I would like to express my deep concern that this in itself shows a lack of understanding of the matter. I do hope this is not an indication that you are unable to meet the needs of individual children no matter what their circumstances are.....

.... Whilst writing please forward to me a copy of your policy on special needs children and their associated difficulties.....

This may well make them mad but only if they are guilty of someting. I found it very hard to deal with this kind of situation and spent much of my time worrying about the feelings of those involved and wanting to appear to be a nice mum, person etc. Its tough trying to battle and mean it whilst looking cute !!!!!

At the end of the day I suddenly realised that these people I cared about what they thought did not give a dot of thought to me. When you doubt what you are doing and whose feelings you are treading on, remember your child and decide who matters most. That usually does it for me !!!!

Good luck.

x

Sorry !!!!!!

Just learning how to use this and see you sorted this out already. Derrr !!

Congratulations

x

Thats ok bothered, thanks for taking the time to reply :thumbs: The offensive e-mail is now safely filed away and will probably never come out again ;)

Yes LKS but if it is filed it is waiting to be found. Dont give up hope, if you let this slide then they will think they have got away with it!