Sign in to follow this  
DAS999

Care Assesments

Got a call today from social services saying they would like to see me and my G/F for a care assessment?? (what is that) in January! What will I be asked and what happens in a care assessment? Do I need to or should I take anything with me?? Am happy they they have been incontact but am also quite nervous. Please advise me

Hi :)

Basically a Social Worker will visit you at home and assess what kind of support your girlfriend needs. They should write a sort of action plan at the end, showing what they are going to do, and then leave a copy with you.

You both need to be honest about the things you are having problems with, and be assertive to make the SW realise that you really do need help. Have a list you can give the SW.

Sadly, I would also say don't hold your breath for loads of wonderful help :(

Good luck, and don't worry about it!

Bid :)

I agree with bid,the social services are incredibly steriotypical towards adults with higher functioning forms of Autism (whether it be kanners or aspergers,probably more so Aspergers),they assume we're the least in need of help,and they have set ideas of diagnosis,rather than judging individual needs.

I had the same thing last december ,and as soon as they heard me speak,they automatically said I could live on my own and wasn't suitable for a residential home.

Just make sure they hear everything,every little difficulty,and ask when to expect an answer from them,if they never contact back,hassle them.

Now she has a diagnosis,she is eligible for a free travel pass as well,if she needs to use public transport it is worth getting the application form,she would need some passport photos as well.

To be honest I am not sure what sort of help we are after. She can do most things on her own fine like washing dressing and so on but cannot cook to save her life!!!! burns things and forgets she is cooking. When she is out on her own (which is not often) she really struggles and I usually end up phoning her mobile in the hope that she answers and I go and rescue her!!

I can look after her most of the time but it is hard as I am sure you can imagin. She nearly got hit by a lorry the other day (not uncommon for her) but my heart nearly stopped!

What should I ask for??

another xmas gift to invest in das....an electric egg timer!!!like others have said i wouldnt pin too much hope on SS being that much help,in my experience they usually fail to deliver .The crossing the road thing sounds quite serious,i know when my nephew is in a flap he just runs straight across the road without any thought too,maybe planning very short trips and talking through what she should do if certain problems arise,not sure what your g/f's memory is like but i know with dan that slow and deliberate explaining often helps him to concentrate on the task he's given,and at least she can retain some independance if that problems resolved,it will take time and training,but your the man for the job im sure :clap:

if you look at your council's website, they may have some info on the assessment process available to download.

I had an assessment in September and we now get a care package of 14 hrs per weel via direct payment, which means I can employ a personal assistant or carer of my choice with help as we see fit. I have ME/CFS, as do my 2 older kids, and my youngest has an ASD. However the assessment process will be similiar.

The social worker will ask what assistance your GF needs, and also will look at your caring role, and if you need some support too so you are not overburdened e.g. risk your job, education or health due to caring responsibilities.

They will do risk assessment, awareness of danger etc., and it may be appopriate for her to ask for help with main meal preparation, and someone to accompany or support her for certain trips.

hth

-

Katya