Sign in to follow this  
Steve_colour-se7en

Children and the back to school Meltdowns -

Hello everyone,

My son today-first day back after holiday, he had quite a tantrum and mini meltdown he and mum got to school late.

Just as gets used to the idea of being off school, this break then becomes part of his latest routine.

Then will then also gets upset because it back to school again, I know that this presents a problem for everyone (ASD's myself included) but for the children, what kind of strategies do you yourselves put into practice to ease things? Do they work?

Do you use a story-board to let him know in advance of the things that will happen say over the next few days/weeks etc, using pictures of events that will happen over this coming period, preparing him for the big event. You thoughts please.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Ds hates school but also hates holidays. He is only now coming to terms with the fact that even though it is a day of the week he usually goes to school that it is ok that he doesn't and I am not breaking any rulres keeping him off. The wee soul even dresses in his uniform because it is a school day. It has taken two weeks to get him to this point and he goes back to school next Thur( we are going to Disneyland Paris this weekend) and we have to break him back into the school routine again!!

I try and use a wall chart with him which we fill in a few days in advance but it can cause problems when we don't do what is written down. This is where school is a good routine as during term time it all goes to plan unless he is ill but holidays are so flexible, roll on next Thursday!!

Carrie

Hi Matthew also went back yesterday and before hand was getting nervous and worked up, he didn't want to go and as usual wouldn't wear a coat to school. when he got there he wasn't too bad. it was when he got home that he went hyper and started to wreck the house lol anyway it is usually not too bad for him the first day, it is the rest of the days like today which may well be worse, don't know why but he has always been like that!! He thrives on routine though and got extreemly hyper when the holidays started.

Hi Matthew also went back yesterday and before hand was getting nervous and worked up, he didn't want to go and as usual wouldn't wear a coat to school. when he got there he wasn't too bad. it was when he got home that he went hyper and started to wreck the house lol anyway it is usually not too bad for him the first day, it is the rest of the days like today which may well be worse, don't know why but he has always been like that!! He thrives on routine though and got extreemly hyper when the holidays started.

Liz, My Louis is the same, but he can go up to a week at school with no problems, and then all hell brakes loose! The school were describing it as his 'honeymoon period', and it is actually noted in some of his reports that he does this!

I think it is all the effort of trying to conform with what people at school expect finally gets to them, and they 'crack' (a bit like I get when I have had all three kids whining and shouting and fighting each other all day, and I am tired when I've had enough, I usually end up shouting at them!) I think this is their form of 'release' if you like.

Hi,

This transition period is hard for them to cope with. Kai went back on Tuesday and he's been ok at school, but really difficult after. After school today was meltdown city :( .

Don't know what the answer is really.

Loulou x

M finds this very hard but we manage to make it easier by counting down the days left at home. he has to know how many days are left at the weekend or how many days he has at school. So as soon as he broke up for the hols I told him how many days he had at home, every morning we would go through it and although he didn't want to go back to school he was sort of prepared. Although he did ask me yesterday how many days we have until christmas :wallbash:

Well I thought things were going ok. Until last night he was up most of the night (not too unusual) but he kept getting very upset and self harming, and wet the bed 3 times, which is not like him. Possibly as we were starting the 'back to school on Monday' talks yesterday.

Edited by lil_me